Just for Fun: Arguments for NOT expanding the playoffs

Ugh. The chorus of "this year worked out great, and it always will!" Until it doesn't.

I've always advocated for 6. 5 P5 champions. Highest ranked G5 champion. No selection committee bullshit.

Notre Dame - join the Big10/ACC.
BYU - join Big12/MWC

We don’t care and UCF would never win a playoff.
How is it special to eliminate teams from winning a championship before the season starts?

How would you feel if Tech went undefeated next year but was left out because “the ACC is down this year”?

In 2017 they proved that its not guaranteed to make the playoffs despite winning all games.

In 2018, they proved that its not guaranteed despite winning all games for two seasons and beating Auburn.

Regardless of your opinion of UCF, the committee proved that the playoffs are rigged towards certain teams.
How is it rigged.

Hasn't the CFPC picked the same four teams that the BCS would've picked, just shuffling the order some years? I don't know if that means the Committee is useless or the BCS was flawed.

Large playoffs make for boring seasons
Not sure thats true.

Auto in for winning conference means all conference games matter, and most teams would have a path orders of magnitude longer into the season. Also, lowers the penalty for playing good teams OOC. Oregon got ööööed scheduling Auburn. Teams might play better games trying to maximize revenue.

How is it special to eliminate teams from winning a championship before the season starts?

How would you feel if Tech went undefeated next year but was left out because “the ACC is down this year”?
Because they don’t play in a major conference. They should push for admission. There will never be a situation where an undefeated GT ACC champ is left out. Quit engineering scenarios to benefit your opinion.

Last edited:
Some good points about players sitting out.

But 16 teams? This isn’t like the BB tourney where teams can play twice a week. Season would last too long.

I’m not saying I agree with it but it will expand to 16 at some point for one simple reason - MONEY. And we’ll all watch. The higher seed will host the 1st round and then they’ll use existing bowl games for the Elite 8. As for the season being too long, does anyone actually believe the NCAA cares? They have 2 conference hoops games a week where these kids travel all week. And look at baseball and their weekly travel, let alone volleyball, softball, etc. The NCAA stopped caring about the players a long time ago. I’m good with 8 but I also know the only way a non factory even gets a chance is to expand to 16. GT could go 11-1 (beat Clemson in season and lose in ACCCG) and we’d be left out even with 8. Heck, in 1990 we were the only undefeated team and we still got hosed. Expansion is the only way to get a shot for the Minnesota’s, UCF’s, and GT’s. It’s been that way in my 50 years on this earth. Thankfully, the money will lead us there. The downside is UGA will get in every year but they’ll also choke at some point as usual.

Because they don’t play in a major conference. They should push for admission. There will never be a situation where an undefeated GT ACC champ is left out. Quit engineering scenarios to benefit your opinion.

5 undefeated conference champs (we had 3 this year). Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, GT. Who is left out?

It’s your opinion that UCF wasn’t the best team in the country in 2017. Opinion shouldn’t matter in football. Let the best team win it on the field.

5 undefeated conference champs (we had 3 this year). Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Oklahoma, GT. Who is left out?

It’s your opinion that UCF wasn’t the best team in the country in 2017. Opinion shouldn’t matter in football. Let the best team win it on the field.
The best team did. There will not be 5 undefeated major conference teams.

Winning a playoff doesn't mean you're the best team. It means you won a playoff. Was Alabama the best team in 2011? They won a two-team playoff against a conference champ that had beaten a couple other conference champs throughout the season. Should Bama have even been in that two team playoff since they didn't win their conference?

Ugh. The chorus of "this year worked out great, and it always will!" Until it doesn't.

I've always advocated for 6. 5 P5 champions. Highest ranked G5 champion. No selection committee bullshit.

Notre Dame - join the Big10/ACC.
BYU - join Big12/MWC
I agree with you...except I want it to be 8 and not 6. Because I KNOW with 100% certainty they're going to make the SEC champ the #1 or #2 seed every year and having a bye when other teams are playing would be a huge advantage. Take the P5 champs, regardless of record and then 3 at large bids. But put in a rule that NO conference can have 3 teams in the 8.

More college football that matters and some of you are against that? WTF?

I see the issue is that you can’t tell an opinion from a fact.
No, I am against watching Georgia play LSU yesterday and tuning in for it again for the first round of the playoffs. They will expand the playoffs and it will continue to favor the same folks it favors now. The same bias you complain about will never allow your idea to come to fruition it’s a non-starter.

If expanding to eight meant LSU-App State, Oklahoma-Oregon, Ohio State-Boise State, and Clemson-Memphis count me in. Eight conference champions, three undefeated, four with one loss, and one with two losses. You get some David vs. Goliath matchups in Round One which promotes some excitement as in basketball.

If expanding to eight meant LSU- Wisconsin, Oklahoma-Georgia, Ohio State- Baylor, and Clemson-Oregon then no thanks. That would mean losing in championship games this past weekend meant little.

Who you did or did not play doesn’t determine who you could or could not beat.
Who you did play absolutely determines who you could or could not beat.

Who you did play absolutely determines who you could or could not beat.

lol. UCF was an 8 point dog to Auburn in the bowl.

I guess putting LSU in Conference USA would suddenly make them a bad team. This is the same argument that anyone uga recruits automatically gets an extra star because uga recruited them, and that uga is great at recruiting because of all the stars.

Back