Justin Thomas has Georgia Tech Believing

Perhaps the skill players from last year put up such nice stats because JT5 was in at QB. I expect the the same this year. JT5 is such a threat to keep the ball that he will make the others look better.

I hope we play well this year, but this is just unrealistic.

Waller and Smelter were two really exceptional players with a lot of experience (yes, Smelter didn't play for a few years, but he was still a senior). Same with our A backs and B backs. I expect our O-line to be very good again next year, but without perimeter blocking, many of our big plays don't happen. It's absolutely crucial to our offense.

Attributing our success to the play of 1 player is crazy. Our defense will be slightly improved (maybe really improved depending on who actually plays), but you must be crazy if you think our offense will be as prolific as it was last year. We had the most efficient offense, statistically, of all time.

of all time.

kanye_of_all_time_taylor_swift_let_you_finish.jpg

btw, i do think that having a special player at QB will allow all the other skill guys to have better numbers. so, yes, one player can make 5 players better by running the option reads quickly and with intent; and having the speed to actually option the guy on the end, and not be tackled by two guys that get there before him; and to make passes catchable when required

Any of those on the outside who question JT as a QB need only to watch that last drive against FSU - and then watch him in the third quarter against Miss State and absolutely eviscerate them on the midline. All those pundits from whatever group, ESPN, et al, get caught up in guys throwing 70 passes out of spread, no huddle sets. But instead of turning around to the sideline to get the play, JT has to read a defense, then signal to the A backs and receivers if he's changing the play and then execute it. His numbers may not be eyepopping in the end, but I would take JT in this offense over any other QB in the country in whatever offense he's running.

Ok, Lets try this again. After watching the games at the end of this year ( ga, Orange Bowl, etc ), I could not understand how Duke could have beaten Tech. I took a closer look at the Duke game. In that game we had three turnovers, our B back was stopped on the goal line one-on-one, and our blocking was nothing like what we had in the games at the end of the season.

So what I am saying is this; to have the season we all want, we better not have the team that played Duke show up.

The games early will be very important.

Last edited:
Lets hope the team that played Duke doesn't show up this year. Three turnovers, a B back that can't get into the end zone, bullfighter's blocking.

debbie-downer.jpg

Great first post!

Waller and Smelter were two really exceptional players with a lot of experience

I'm going to have stuff thrown at me for saying this, but I didn't think Waller was that exceptional. He has the measurables to get interest in the NFL, but he wasn't a difference maker. Smelter, on the other hand, was a difference maker.

I agree that my biggest concern on the offensive side is WR blocking.

I'm going to have stuff thrown at me for saying this, but I didn't think Waller was that exceptional. He has the measurables to get interest in the NFL, but he wasn't a difference maker. Smelter, on the other hand, was a difference maker.

I agree that my biggest concern on the offensive side is WR blocking.

Waller seemed to have a fire lit under his ass at the UGAg game. Don't know if it was Smelter going out or not.

I would love to see a time when we have two WR's put up big numbers all season. Our running game would be historically unstoppable if we did.

Waller seemed to have a fire lit under his ass at the UGAg game. Don't know if it was Smelter going out or not.

I would love to see a time when we have two WR's put up big numbers all season. Our running game would be historically unstoppable if we did.

Do we need 2 guys putting up big numbers? When you have a QB who won't throw often, it makes sense to simplify the passing game and tell him "throw it to Smelter but lead him so it can't be picked off".

If you believe that the passing game can be more than just a threat to prevent defenses from cheating against the run, then maybe it makes sense. But I worry that in CPJ's offense, you're better off spending time learning how to block / run the option that practicing complex passing plays.

Do we need 2 guys putting up big numbers? When you have a QB who won't throw often, it makes sense to simplify the passing game and tell him "throw it to Smelter but lead him so it can't be picked off".

If you believe that the passing game can be more than just a threat to prevent defenses from cheating against the run, then maybe it makes sense. But I worry that in CPJ's offense, you're better off spending time learning how to block / run the option that practicing complex passing plays.

I'd rather it be "Holy öööö, we can't give either of the WR's daylight"

I'd rather it be "Holy öööö, we can't give either of the WR's daylight"

Id rather be like "BANG, did you see (insert WR here) make the block on the edge and open the lane?"

Id rather be like "BANG, did you see (insert WR here) make the block on the edge and open the lane?"

I'll settle for "And for the second year in a row, the Yellow Jackets beat the Bulldwags to claim the State title"

I'll settle for "And for the second year in a row, the Yellow Jackets beat the Bulldwags to claim the State title"

"With the ghosts of Dodd and Heisman looking from above, Coach Paul Johnson and Georgia Tech has done what many people thought was impossible. The Ramblin Wreck is once again National Champions of the college football world.

Not sure what to make of the WR position this year, but there's little doubt that A-backs are being turned loose upfield in the passing game against just about every opponent. If JT5 starts finding them it's going to be videogame time...:biggthumpup:

I believe the biggest difference in having senior laden skill players and not will be 2 things: 1) turnovers 2) 4th down and 4th quarter clutchness.

We won the Georgia game in the 4th quarter and overtime. We won the southern game the same way. Will you still have the resiliency that we had last year with all those seniors gone?

I'm hoping we're not going to see the 2010 Nesbitt only offense

Teams that have exceptional seasons under great QBs usually regress. Recently: Winston, Manziel, Marshall, Nesbitt. A big part of it is changes in personnel beyond the QB--football is a team sport. So to have another season like last season we will need other players to independently be great and be leaders. Thomas and his leadership only matters so much. (But I guess that doesn't make for a good ESPN headline.)

Back