Kendall Young Removed from Roster (Temporary)

The first year is the worst. Adjusting to Tech and getting through weed out classes
This. Adjusting to what’s required to succeed at Tech is the hardest part. I made around a 2.0 first semester, then was north of 3.5 for the remainder.....and I got in because of academics, not athletics....so likely even tougher for the latter.

:coffee2:

With 97.0% of students staying on for a second year, Georgia Institute of Technology - Main Campus is one of the best in the country when it comes to freshman retention.

Nationwide, the average first year to second year retention rate is 72.0%. When looking at just colleges and universities in Georgia, the average is 62.0%.

https://www.collegefactual.com/coll...ampus/academic-life/graduation-and-retention/

https://irp.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/Retention_Study/ftf_fall_2017.pdf

Geet outta here with that 'weed out classes' and 'first year is tough' stuff'.

Last edited:
There were some discussions about our academic monitoring in one of the press conferences or shows, my summary (hope my memory doesn't screw it up)

1) Collins meets with academic advisers every week to discuss status of every single player and their progress and any upcoming tests, papers, etc.
2) He then meets with all staff and they discuss any players that are having issues. He wants every member of the staff to be accountable and make sure that players get help from everyone if they are having struggles.
3) Knight said he hates it (jokingly) when Collins gets on to him when a player gets a bad grade : "I didn't tell him to get a F on that test" but he says the accountability is important.
4) The positions coaches get a write-up on Sunday with all of the academic requirements their players have for the week.

There were some discussions about our academic monitoring in one of the press conferences or shows, my summary (hope my memory doesn't screw it up)

1) Collins meets with academic advisers every week to discuss status of every single player and their progress and any upcoming tests, papers, etc.
2) He then meets with all staff and they discuss any players that are having issues. He wants every member of the staff to be accountable and make sure that players get help from everyone if they are having struggles.
3) Knight said he hates it (jokingly) when Collins gets on to him when a player gets a bad grade : "I didn't tell him to get a F on that test" but he says the accountability is important.
4) The positions coaches get a write-up on Sunday with all of the academic requirements their players have for the week.

Contrast this with the events that transpired during the O'Leary years. I was a big fan of the Big Bee but he did not keep his eye on the academic ball.

That CGC is this involved in keeping an eye on all things academic (which is completely believable given his talents in the management quadrant), gives me great hope for our program.

I'll just say this - there have been a few developments in the past few weeks that have given me a substantial confidence boost in our present coaching staff.

Not ready to mortgage the house yet but we might, in fact, have a juggernaut in the making.

Also, it seems for more than one reason, he will redshirt so let him focus 100% on academics at this time. If he pulls his grades up then he should be good to go with off season workouts.

Yeah, he needed to add about 20 lbs to play DE, which is where we want him, I think.

Maybe Tech was different when I went there. Maybe I’m stupid. I can tell you 97% of my friends did not survive their first 2 years at Tech. At freshman orientation I received the look right, look left treatment.

Maybe Tech was different when I went there. Maybe I’m stupid. I can tell you 97% of my friends did not survive their first 2 years at Tech. At freshman orientation I received the look right, look left treatment.

I think they've moved away from the "look to your left, look to your right" stuff and the freshman weed-out classes, because retention rate is a factor in rankings. I don't like it, but IIWII.

JRjr

Now it is "look to your left, look to your right, you all get an 'A' for completing the task!".

Yeah, our generation left GT with survival skills and self taught stress management techniques. I had a couple of friends flunk out and few that just left because of the stress.

GT was like an academic version of 'special forces school'.

He just needs to remember that this is not something that is being done to punish or humiliate him. This is help. College can be difficult and a major adjustment.

Contrast this with the events that transpired during the O'Leary years. I was a big fan of the Big Bee but he did not keep his eye on the academic ball.

That CGC is this involved in keeping an eye on all things academic (which is completely believable given his talents in the management quadrant), gives me great hope for our program.

I'll just say this - there have been a few developments in the past few weeks that have given me a substantial confidence boost in our present coaching staff.

Not ready to mortgage the house yet but we might, in fact, have a juggernaut in the making.

That wasn't O'Leary; he kept his eye on the ball and was very much involved in the day to day academics with the players. The issue is he "might" have been too involved because he pissed off someone on the hill. After Gailey was hired, Braine said, "I will take care of the academics" and he took that role away from the coach; a few short semesters later like 9 players flunk out or had credit issues. That wasn't O'Leary's fault.

That wasn't O'Leary; he kept his eye on the ball and was very much involved in the day to day academics with the players. The issue is he "might" have been too involved because he pissed off someone on the hill. After Gailey was hired, Braine said, "I will take care of the academics" and he took that role away from the coach; a few short semesters later like 9 players flunk out or had credit issues. That wasn't O'Leary's fault.
You have a good recollection. I now also remember there was someone named Carol Moore who had a lot to to with that catastrophe.

Back