Key ???

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
I am wondering: we are well into the 404 TakeOver. Key gets a mulligan for years one or two, because, as the theory goes, a college lineman cannot be taught to get into a different stance and pass block after being taught to lean forward and block in the option. That's right, even against a 3 win FCS Citadel . Okay, I'll concede it takes some time. This much time? No.

We have several solid transfers and he's had three years to develop at least a halfway competitive LOS. We looked overmatched against UNI, much much better against Clemson and then absolutely dominated by Pitt.

Is this guy ever going to be held accountable?

I could see the frustration beginning to wear on Gibbs. No one knows what goes on behind the scenes. In today's game, you don't get a lock for 4 years on a player. If I am Gibbs and continue to get hit numerous times behind the line of scrimmage, don't be surprised to see laptops open up and transfer portal explored. Losing is one thing, these blowouts and humiliations are quite a different situation.

Recruiting is a two year cycle (at least). Our first real traditional linemen are probably true or redshirt freshman. We have been making due with option linemen and 1 year stand-ins. Next year will be a mix of youngsters and transfers too.

This year’s group looks better at pass blocking than the last two. NIU and Pitt loaded up the line to take away the run. UNC did too to a degree, except they didn’t cover the QB (and weren’t expecting to see Sims). Clemson has a decent DL.

We’ll see how we fair against Uva, Miami, Duke, and VT. That isn’t exactly murderer’s row. If they stack the line, we need to work the outside pass, especially if the DB line up 10 yards off.

This entire coaching staff has disappointed from top to bottom. Yes recruiting is important and the lifeblood of the program. But XsOs matter just as much. CPJ was a great coach but couldn't recruit to his system adequately at Tech. CGC looks like a good recruiter but horrible with the Xs and Os. Key was supposed to be one of the best OL coaches in the country. That's pretty certainly not the case. The OL has looked bad from day one and still does.

Will Tech ever be able to get a coaching staff again that can succeed at a high level? The institute hasn't been willing to compete with the top competition since they hired Heisman. So Tech has been fortunate to hit above their weight ever since.

I have been pretty disappointed in the OL but I do recognize it was the position group in the worst shape (by far.) We had extremely poor OL recruiting in the last 4 or 5 years before CPJ left. A bunch of guys who had very few/no other P5 offers. Look at the names...
2015 - Will Bryan, Brad Morgan
2016 - Parker Braun, Kenny Cooper
2017 - Connor Hansen, Zach Quinney, Mike Minihan, Charlie Clark
2018 - Harrison Jump, Mike Maye
2019 - NOTHING

There is literally nothing there to work with.

In the last game, we had 1 OL missing due to injury and another one limited in action. This is for an OL already lacking in quality depth.

We're at a point where we will see flashes of brilliance followed by some flops. The next step is consistency and we're not there yet.

There has been improvement and I'm not willing to fire coaches at this point.

I have been pretty disappointed in the OL but I do recognize it was the position group in the worst shape (by far.) We had extremely poor OL recruiting in the last 4 or 5 years before CPJ left. A bunch of guys who had very few/no other P5 offers. Look at the names...
2015 - Will Bryan, Brad Morgan
2016 - Parker Braun, Kenny Cooper
2017 - Connor Hansen, Zach Quinney, Mike Minihan, Charlie Clark
2018 - Harrison Jump, Mike Maye
2019 - NOTHING

There is literally nothing there to work with.

Maybe we need an alchemist instead of a line coach. I don't think CBK knows how to turn lead into gold

1633378493527.png

Back