Key ???

Most teams have freshman and sophomores starting. There are 9 redshirt sophomores or younger players starting on offensive line for the top 5 teams.

Niu starts 2 rs freshman, 2 rs sophomores and a senior.

I'm having a hard time believing it takes 4-5 years to build a competent line. 4 years to be very good to great maybe but we should be decent with a sign of things to come by now

*Numbers came from ourlads.com.

Isn't the offensive line scheme predicated on the offensive coordinator's plan?
Aside from technique, signals and rotation isn't it the O Coordinator deciding who to block?
I am not sold on Brent but I think Dave doesn't do him many favors.

Most teams have freshman and sophomores starting. There are 9 redshirt sophomores or younger players starting on offensive line for the top 5 teams.

Niu starts 2 rs freshman, 2 rs sophomores and a senior.

I'm having a hard time believing it takes 4-5 years to build a competent line. 4 years to be very good to great maybe but we should be decent with a sign of things to come by now

*Numbers came from ourlads.com.
I think the top 5 teams in the country are recruiting a little better than us on the OLINE right now and already have a pipeline of talent. I really like some of the True Freshmen (Franklin, Leftwitch, ect) but it is very rare for a True Freshman linemen to be ready to play. There isn't much talent on the Oline RS Soph and up... or we wouldn't be starting 2 Triple O guys.

Last edited:
I think the top 5 teams in the country are recruiting a little better than us on the OLINE right now and already have a pipeline of talent. I really like some of the True Freshmen (Franklin, Leftwitch, ect) but it is very rare for a True Freshman linemen to be ready to play. There isn't much talent on the Oline RS Soph and up... or we wouldn't be starting 2 Triple O guys.
I thought that too but I checked several random teams and most had 1-2 freshman or sophomores starting.

Unc has one of the older lines and we see how that worked out. Niu has a pretty young line and they beat us.

I know it takes some time but we should be better than we are now.

Isn't the offensive line scheme predicated on the offensive coordinator's plan?
Aside from technique, signals and rotation isn't it the O Coordinator deciding who to block?
I am not sold on Brent but I think Dave doesn't do him many favors.
Brent Key designs the run schemes and creates the run game plan, as the “run game O coordinator.” Pnode calls the plays Brent Key wants him to.

We were picked to win <3 games in 2008 because we couldn’t possibly teach our linemen to block in the option properly. We had TE’s at Tackle. We won more than 3 games.

it does not take this long if you are an effective communicator and teacher. These kids are re-learning what they already knew in high school and before. They came here and had to be TAUGHT option blocking. The concepts we are installing aren’t new to them. There is no excuse for their horrific performance.
You mean fall on the ground in front of the guy across from you? What about pass pro? We’re they taught pass pro under Sewak?

I’m not saying Key is good. But your hindsight in regards to Sewak’s coaching is blind.

We were picked to win <3 games in 2008 because we couldn’t possibly teach our linemen to block in the option properly. We had TE’s at Tackle. We won more than 3 games.

it does not take this long if you are an effective communicator and teacher. These kids are re-learning what they already knew in high school and before. They came here and had to be TAUGHT option blocking. The concepts we are installing aren’t new to them. There is no excuse for their horrific performance.
Here's a pic from the Clemson game I think in 2017. This is what our line was taught. Look on the left of the pic. You really think that this isn't a complete overhall of the O-line...strength, reading defenses, pass blocking, footwork, etc. playing against college players?

Attachments

• GT Clemson blocking.png
    GT Clemson blocking.png
    811 KB · Views: 91
Here's a pic from the Clemson game I think in 2017. This is what our line was taught. Look on the left of the pic. You really think that this isn't a complete overhall of the O-line...strength, reading defenses, pass blocking, footwork, etc. playing against college players?
What concepts did they know and use to block in high school? Probably ones very similar to the ones we are installing now. Not to mention nearly all of the option lineman are gone.

ugh - I hope we never see that Fish Flop blocking again. 4 guys on the ground as 1 Tiger eludes them all. Those guys must've hated all that flopping around, like a beached catfish.

So again, I say to those clamoring for 4/5 years, that is one thing if progress is being made, but progress is clearly not being made. I don't care if you are converting from a wide open offense to the option, or in our case the option to a varied offense, there is no excuse for lineman to not be able to block The Citadel and UNI. Year 3 should clearly demonstrate progress, we've not seen it.

In 2018, we were 28th in the country in Red Zone scoring.

This year we're #98th.

You guys are clowns.

So again, I say to those clamoring for 4/5 years, that is one thing if progress is being made, but progress is clearly not being made. I don't care if you are converting from a wide open offense to the option, or in our case the option to a varied offense, there is no excuse for lineman to not be able to block The Citadel and UNI. Year 3 should clearly demonstrate progress, we've not seen it.
I think it's reasonable to be unhappy with the team, the coach, the amount of progress, etc. I don't get how you don't think there has been ANY progress though. I mean, go back and watch some year one games. You may not think we have progressed enough, but in my mind we are clearly better than year one and year two right now.

In 2018, we were 28th in the country in Red Zone scoring.

This year we're #98th.

You guys are clowns.
Look at the pic. That is what you morons want to go back to. Count me out.

I am wondering: we are well into the 404 TakeOver. Key gets a mulligan for years one or two, because, as the theory goes, a college lineman cannot be taught to get into a different stance and pass block after being taught to lean forward and block in the option. That's right, even against a 3 win FCS Citadel . Okay, I'll concede it takes some time. This much time? No.

We have several solid transfers and he's had three years to develop at least a halfway competitive LOS. We looked overmatched against UNI, much much better against Clemson and then absolutely dominated by Pitt.

Is this guy ever going to be held accountable?

I could see the frustration beginning to wear on Gibbs. No one knows what goes on behind the scenes. In today's game, you don't get a lock for 4 years on a player. If I am Gibbs and continue to get hit numerous times behind the line of scrimmage, don't be surprised to see laptops open up and transfer portal explored. Losing is one thing, these blowouts and humiliations are quite a different situation.
Alter alert.

Back