Key ???

1633381104551.jpeg
I have that album. I bought it when it came out.

I am wondering: we are well into the 404 TakeOver. Key gets a mulligan for years one or two, because, as the theory goes, a college lineman cannot be taught to get into a different stance and pass block after being taught to lean forward and block in the option. That's right, even against a 3 win FCS Citadel . Okay, I'll concede it takes some time. This much time? No.

We have several solid transfers and he's had three years to develop at least a halfway competitive LOS. We looked overmatched against UNI, much much better against Clemson and then absolutely dominated by Pitt.

Is this guy ever going to be held accountable?

I could see the frustration beginning to wear on Gibbs. No one knows what goes on behind the scenes. In today's game, you don't get a lock for 4 years on a player. If I am Gibbs and continue to get hit numerous times behind the line of scrimmage, don't be surprised to see laptops open up and transfer portal explored. Losing is one thing, these blowouts and humiliations are quite a different situation.
Disagree.
Key needs 5 full years of recruiting to get his guys in there and make them R-Seniors with Seniors and Juniors backing them up.
There were no OL on the roster Key inherited they would have started for another P5 team—including Duke and Vandy.

GT Nation needs to COOL IT and be patient.

I am wondering: we are well into the 404 TakeOver. Key gets a mulligan for years one or two, because, as the theory goes, a college lineman cannot be taught to get into a different stance and pass block after being taught to lean forward and block in the option. That's right, even against a 3 win FCS Citadel . Okay, I'll concede it takes some time. This much time? No.

We have several solid transfers and he's had three years to develop at least a halfway competitive LOS. We looked overmatched against UNI, much much better against Clemson and then absolutely dominated by Pitt.

I could see the frustration beginning to wear on Gibbs. No one knows what goes on behind the scenes. In today's game, you don't get a lock for 4 years on a player. If I am Gibbs and continue to get hit numerous times behind the line of scrimmage, don't be surprised to see laptops open up and transfer portal explored. Losing is one thing, these blowouts and humiliations are quite a different situation.
I don't think Gibbs leaves to start over elsewhere. But I agree that after 2 years of training we should see improvement.

We pulled in (including xfers)
1 ol in 19,
8 in 20,
4 in 21

That's not a ton when you're trying to rebuild depth. I'd give key another year for the development. He has a strong resume, and I think there's room for it to pay dividends.

So again, I say to those clamoring for 4/5 years, that is one thing if progress is being made, but progress is clearly not being made. I don't care if you are converting from a wide open offense to the option, or in our case the option to a varied offense, there is no excuse for lineman to not be able to block The Citadel and UNI. Year 3 should clearly demonstrate progress, we've not seen it.
So again, I say that those who signed up last week to bleed all over the board, I don’t care about your stupid opinion.

Brent Key designs the run schemes and creates the run game plan, as the “run game O coordinator.” Pnode calls the plays Brent Key wants him to.
Is that part of our problem? I am not an expert but it seems one person needs to be making all the calls.

This entire coaching staff has disappointed from top to bottom. Yes recruiting is important and the lifeblood of the program. But XsOs matter just as much. CPJ was a great coach but couldn't recruit to his system adequately at Tech. CGC looks like a good recruiter but horrible with the Xs and Os. Key was supposed to be one of the best OL coaches in the country. That's pretty certainly not the case. The OL has looked bad from day one and still does.

The logical thing to do as a head coach when your X's and O's are persistently bad is to fire your coordinators and find other ones. I don't see Collins as merciless enough to do that.

I'll cut Key some slack over missing starters against Pitt but go ahead and get the stakes ready if we have the same issue against Duke

Are you saying that isn't what our ol looked like last game? Also, why would you care about 1 pic more than the 70 places we dropped in red zone scoring?
You're taking the discussion off into a tangent. Crew4b said that our current OL should have been able to move from the 3O into the current blocking with ease since that is what they ran in high school. I said that diving at the ankles of the guy in front of you is a lot different than what we are trying to do now. How is this hard for you to understand?

I'm not happy with the coaching staff either. I don't know of many Tech fans that are. Our OL stinks now. But there's a lot of armchair coaches on this board that are relatively clueless.

I'll cut Key some slack over missing starters against Pitt but go ahead and get the stakes ready if we have the same issue against Duke
I've had a rather long rope with this rebuild and have said so, but what I can't stand is BS; hearing a coach say in his presser that our "offensive line played at a high level and did some good things" just boils my blood. Anyone with half a brain could see that they sucked this past weekend. Instead, say some thing like this - "We had some injuries to the O line that caused us to move some people in that apparently were not ready. That's on us as a coaching staff to get them better prepared. Not taking anything away from Pitt's D-line, but we've got to play better on the line to open up holes for our running game if we are going to contend like I think we are capable of in this league." That is what I wanted to hear him say. Is that so hard? If I hear 'high level' one more time, I going to scream.

I've had a rather long rope with this rebuild and have said so, but what I can't stand is BS; hearing a coach say in his presser that our "offensive line played at a high level and did some good things" just boils my blood. Anyone with half a brain could see that they sucked this past weekend. Instead, say some thing like this - "We had some injuries to the O line that caused us to move some people in that apparently were not ready. That's on us as a coaching staff to get them better prepared. Not taking anything away from Pitt's D-line, but we've got to play better on the line to open up holes for our running game if we are going to contend like I think we are capable of in this league." That is what I wanted to hear him say. Is that so hard? If I hear 'high level' one more time, I going to scream.
I ignore all CGC pressers because its just hype, even when clearly not justified. If you want honesty, listen to CDP and he will tell you what sucked and what worked.

I feel the same about the term "high-level" - its a load of crap. But I think there is a discomfort with bringing up injuries in a press conference after a loss - comes across as an excuse. I also think a guy coming off the bench who ain't ready is hands-off. I didn't know (before the Pitt game) that we were missing OL - but I knew we were in trouble when I saw the young OL from TX out there - he ain't ready - I'm sure he's working hard but not there yet. But I would go ballistic if any coach named names to that effect to the media.

Read the ajc article about how Cutcliffe handled the whoopin Duke took last week. That is why Cutcliffe is a good coach. No BS. Accountability.

The logical thing to do as a head coach when your X's and O's are persistently bad is to fire your coordinators and find other ones. I don't see Collins as merciless enough to do that.
Critical question:

Is it the Xs & Os that are persistently bad, OR is it the Players that have been persistently bad?

If you want honesty, listen to CDP and he will tell you what sucked and what worked.
Yesterday, CDP said they played really well against Pitt. Then, at the end, he's asked about the red zone offense. He says runs between the tackles are our core plays that we have to run every time down there - everything else is auxiliary and has to feed from there. We need to be able to push them back and pick up at least a yard. That's not the way they are calling the offense in the RZ.

You're taking the discussion off into a tangent. Crew4b said that our current OL should have been able to move from the 3O into the current blocking with ease since that is what they ran in high school. I said that diving at the ankles of the guy in front of you is a lot different than what we are trying to do now. How is this hard for you to understand?

I'm not happy with the coaching staff either. I don't know of many Tech fans that are. Our OL stinks now. But there's a lot of armchair coaches on this board that are relatively clueless.

What's hard to understand is why you're focused less on the results than the scheme

There was an interesting post on the Pitt boards. A Pitt fan who claimed to be sitting with GT boosters said the folks from GT said that Collins is hated by the team and they were going to have to buy him out. This was the first I'd heard anything like that. Any GT fans have any insight? Could this be why the team is not progressing even though they have "better players" via recruiting and the transfer portal....the SA have not bought in to the 404 Takeover and culture that Coach Collins has created?

There was an interesting post on the Pitt boards. A Pitt fan who claimed to be sitting with GT boosters said the folks from GT said that Collins is hated by the team and they were going to have to buy him out. This was the first I'd heard anything like that. Any GT fans have any insight? Could this be why the team is not progressing the SA have not bought in to the 404 Takeover?
No inside knowledge but I think this is complete BS, by the booster and/or the Pitt fan.

There was an interesting post on the Pitt boards. A Pitt fan who claimed to be sitting with GT boosters said the folks from GT said that Collins is hated by the team and they were going to have to buy him out. This was the first I'd heard anything like that. Any GT fans have any insight? Could this be why the team is not progressing even though they have "better players" via recruiting and the transfer portal....the SA have not bought in to the 404 Takeover and culture that Coach Collins has created?
Maybe the upperclassmen holdovers do. It's fairly common during coaching change. It wouldn't make much sense for a handful of them to come back for an extra year if they hated him, though.

No inside knowledge but I think this is complete BS, by the booster and/or the Pitt fan.
If that is the case and the SA absolutely love their coaches and play their hearts out for them and their school then the answer to the original question is quite simple...It’s pretty clear where this is headed, at this point. Based on what everyone saw Saturday, this isn’t working, and it isn’t going to work if this is what 31 months of building has resulted in. It’s over. It’s just a matter of time at this point.

I have been pretty disappointed in the OL but I do recognize it was the position group in the worst shape (by far.) We had extremely poor OL recruiting in the last 4 or 5 years before CPJ left. A bunch of guys who had very few/no other P5 offers. Look at the names...
2015 - Will Bryan, Brad Morgan
2016 - Parker Braun, Kenny Cooper
2017 - Connor Hansen, Zach Quinney, Mike Minihan, Charlie Clark
2018 - Harrison Jump, Mike Maye
2019 - NOTHING

There is literally nothing there to work with.

Stop hating on the current coaching staff for not recruiting during their tenure or coaching up the guys we have. The staff promised there would be huge improvements in the offense and OLine talent and play. There obviously has been but fans just can't recognize it and believe it doesn't exist because of a lost game.

Back