Key ???

Maybe the upperclassmen holdovers do. It's fairly common during coaching change. It wouldn't make much sense for a handful of them to come back for an extra year if they hated him, though.
So the players left from Coach Johnson era left on the team are (23) and most will not be with the team next year unless Coach wants them to use their COVID year (which would tell me they are good teammates and bought in)

Dijmon Brooks
Juanyeh Thomas
Tariq Carpenter
Tre swilling
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Quez Jackson
Jordan Mason
Dontae Smith
TK Chimedza
Charlie Thomas
Jaylon King
Tobias Oliver
Adonicas Sanders
Peje Harris
Jordan Dommineck
Mick Maye
Austin Smith
Jaquon Griffin
William Lay
Matt Morgan
Kenny Cooper
Joseph Macrina
Jack Coco

So maybe if true, the AD gives Coach Collins one more year to have a team with all of his players to see if they can get back to bowl eligibility?

I have been pretty disappointed in the OL but I do recognize it was the position group in the worst shape (by far.) We had extremely poor OL recruiting in the last 4 or 5 years before CPJ left. A bunch of guys who had very few/no other P5 offers. Look at the names...
2015 - Will Bryan, Brad Morgan
2016 - Parker Braun, Kenny Cooper
2017 - Connor Hansen, Zach Quinney, Mike Minihan, Charlie Clark
2018 - Harrison Jump, Mike Maye
2019 - NOTHING

There is literally nothing there to work with.
In 2019 Coach Collins recruited Grad Transfer Jared Southers from Vandy and told one OL recruit (that CPJ recruited before his dismissal) that he would not receive a scholarship offer...but he could still walk on (Larry Dowdy) Also Jamal camp is in that class (2019) and currently plays OL. I think there is no question the OL is more talented TODAY than in 2019....Heck the whole team is, however you still have to coach the boys up.... It appears we have a coaching problem on the FLATS.

Last edited:
Critical question:

Is it the Xs & Os that are persistently bad, OR is it the Players that have been persistently bad?

Ultimately for the head coach to decide of course. The OL remains a really big problem. Is UNC's D-line that bad? We know that CU's is good and likely Pitt's is decent.

I think that I would lean more on the Xs & Os being more of the problem. In the CU game, the playcall on the 4th down attempt was fine. The bigger issue is that the 2 best players on offense: Gibbs/Mason had one touch total during the 4 downs. P-dope seems to get away from things that are working in the interest of "balance"--NIU game is a good example of this. Gaining lots of yards on the ground only to "have to" throw it instead of getting the game in hand. I think that he runs some plays "because that's what we do." Feels like a big waste to not have more 2 back sets and find ways to get Gibbs/Mason/Smith the ball in space (not too mention easier throws for Sims).

So the players left from Coach Johnson era left on the team are (23) and most will not be with the team next year unless Coach wants them to use their COVID year (which would tell me they are good teammates and bought in)

Dijmon Brooks
Juanyeh Thomas
Tariq Carpenter
Tre swilling
Bruce Jordan-Swilling
Quez Jackson
Jordan Mason
Dontae Smith
TK Chimedza
Charlie Thomas
Jaylon King
Tobias Oliver
Adonicas Sanders
Peje Harris
Jordan Dommineck
Mick Maye
Austin Smith
Jaquon Griffin
William Lay
Matt Morgan
Kenny Cooper
Joseph Macrina
Jack Coco

So maybe if true, the AD gives Coach Collins one more year to have a team with all of his players to see if they can get back to bowl eligibility?
Kenny Cooper, I'm pretty certain, is using his extra year this season. I think he is on year 6, maybe.

We are going to need a few OL grad transfers. Hopefully there are some good ones we can get. We just don't have a promising OL, the way I see it, and need help.

We shouldn't allow any CV19 Guys with extra time to come back, we need to finishing ripping the Band-Aid off and sign more Recruits out of HS.

I would love to see us take advantage of the 32 Scholarship Limit for the next 2 seasons, and get more Linemen out of HS into the Program, as well as some better TEs

After last Season, I didn't want Our Safeties Back, Juanyeh and Tariq last season drove me crazy and are doing the same this year, I rather see young Guys in there learning for the Future rather than Older Players that refuse to play disciplined , sound, fundamental FB.

The RBs might go to the NFL (Mason), I'd bet if he got into an NFL Camp he'd make the Team.

If a Guy has a 4th year then he should be allowed to come back, but I don't want any Guys back for 5th & 6th years due to Cv19, our 5th year Safeties haven't played well enough for me to be glad that they are Playing, I'd rather see that Time go to young Players that will pay dividends in '22

Forget giving the CV19 Guys an extra yr and use the 32 Scholarship Limit to get more HS Guys.

We shouldn't allow any CV19 Guys with extra time to come back, we need to finishing ripping the Band-Aid off and sign more Recruits out of HS.

I would love to see us take advantage of the 32 Scholarship Limit for the next 2 seasons, and get more Linemen out of HS into the Program, as well as some better TEs

After last Season, I didn't want Our Safeties Back, Juanyeh and Tariq last season drove me crazy and are doing the same this year, I rather see young Guys in there learning for the Future rather than Older Players that refuse to play disciplined , sound, fundamental FB.

The RBs might go to the NFL (Mason), I'd bet if he got into an NFL Camp he'd make the Team.

If a Guy has a 4th year then he should be allowed to come back, but I don't want any Guys back for 5th & 6th years due to Cv19, our 5th year Safeties haven't played well enough for me to be glad that they are Playing, I'd rather see that Time go to young Players that will pay dividends in '22

Forget giving the CV19 Guys an extra yr and use the 32 Scholarship Limit to get more HS Guys.
Wait, we’re free to dis players by name? What if they read this board?

Wait, we’re free to dis players by name? What if they read this board?
Then they should get motivated to prove detractors wrong. I personally don’t like to dis players. I think they are young men and usually giving their best effort. I really disliked the way Reggie Ball was treated. But life ain’t all cotton candy and unicorns. And it’s on them to either ignore or overcome criticism. Part of growing up is manning up.

Then they should get motivated to prove detractors wrong. I personally don’t like to dis players. I think they are young men and usually giving their best effort. I really disliked the way Reggie Ball was treated. But life ain’t all cotton candy and unicorns. And it’s on them to either ignore or overcome criticism. Part of growing up is manning up.
WTF? Life isn't cotton candy and unicorns? Thanks, jerk, for ruining everything

We're free to dis any players we want, by name. The board allows it because it is silly to think that fans of a team should not be allowed to discuss players by name, even negatively.

We're free to dis any players we want, by name. The board allows it because it is silly to think that fans of a team should not be allowed to discuss players by name, even negatively.
That is in poor taste. There is a long-standing tradition that we don't single out players for criticism.

That is in poor taste. There is a long-standing tradition that we don't single out players for criticism.
Silly tradition.

I'm not into berating and name calling, but if we can't say Tariq has played poorly the last 2 years after playing very well in 2019, then what's the point of discussing football? Do the coaches single them out in the film room?

They're big boys. Life ain't fair and the world is mean.

Silly tradition.

I'm not into berating and name calling, but if we can't say Tariq has played poorly the last 2 years after playing very well in 2019, then what's the point of discussing football? Do the coaches single them out in the film room?

David Curry wore his crown of thorns for years

Silly tradition.

Like your Sturgill reference.

Silly tradition.

That's the way it goes in this day and age.

Back