Keys to game Saturday

GTPilot

Flats Noob
What does everyone think the keys to the game are Saturday?

I think the key for us is to get up early. If we are up at halftime, we will win this game and it won't be close. If we get down early the players may start saying "hear we go again".

The teams are really evenly matched and it will probably come down to who makes the fewest mistakes. Big key is for the D to get pressure on AD. Do that and I think he'll make some rookie mistakes.

I'll take Tech by 7-10 points.

We have to make McPherson beat us with his arm. We cannot let him "Charlie Ward" us like he is capable of. I don't think they can run effectively on us but we have to make sure of that.

On the other hand we have to be able to run - would be great to shove it down their throat but at least we have to keep them honest.

AJ has to have a good day throwing. No picks. He has to stretch the defense and throw deep. We cannot just throw 10 yard outs - they will pick one and take it back.

I would like to see us use the tight end over the middle off of play action.

Net net - Unless McPherson beats us with scrambling I think we can control their offense and that makes this a close game I believe GT wins.

I hope we have the lead but being a few points down does not scare me very much. Trying to protect a lead is what cost us a few games last year and that mindset may still be hanging around. Lets grab em by the nose and kick them in arse is the best thing.

Everyone needs to have a big day.

We need to run over F$U with the rushing attack. Get the right blocking to nust one outside and we'll bee in business. Keep the guys fresh - alternate Clinkscale, Eziemefe, and Daniels.
I see 2-3 Rushing TD's

Suggs has to keep mistakes to a minimum. No INT's. No fumbled snaps. No telegraphing. All of these things he has improved on greatly and if he can stay that way he'll have a great game.
I see 1 passing TD.

I'll be back..

I think a good way to get the crowd into it early and put F$U on their heels is to open it up a little at the beginning. Our offense has seemed to thrive the last couple weeks when we went with the one-back sets and the no-huddle. If we can play fast-and-loose and score a couple early TDs, then we can retrench into the running game and work clock. The worst-case scenario is F$U coming out hot and getting a 2 touchdown lead or something. I think that really gets us out of our game plan.

The key to this game is coaching attitude. We need to expect to WIN and play to WIN.....not play NOT TO LOSE. Big difference.
This weeks practices and game plan need to be conducted with the EXPECTATION of winning. When we have 1st and goal from the one yard line we need to have the plays prepared to score....period.
When it is 4th down and a foot we need to have the plays prepared to go for it and the attitude of we will NOT be denied.
The players should have the clear direction from the coaches that we are planning to win this game, and are not going to take no for an answer. The players will feed off of this overall attitude and it will have a snowball effect throughout the offense, defense and special teams.
The tentativeness that was shown at times earlier in the season by the coaches has to be gone.
This team is ready to win this big game.....and I expect us to win this game....and I predicted that we will win this game.
I know the players will not let us down. And I hope that the coaches are far enough on the learning curve to not let us down either.
GO JACKETS.

Shockingly, I agree with Beeware. We must expect to win. Also, when things go bad (a turnover, a penalty, a bad punt, etc)...don't panic and don't lose our composure. Sometimes a team comes into a game pumped up sky-high (and the crowd is going nuts). Then, a few bad things happen and everything just falls apart. I want this team to come in pumped up and intense. But I want them to stay calm and composed when bad stuff happens....kinda the opposite of what happened to UGA in jacksonville last week.

I think the keys to Florida State should be almost identical to last weeks. On Defense, try to make Florida State as one dimensional as possible.(preferrably stop the running game since they have an inexperienced quarterback.) Stop the run like we did against NC State and a world of options open up for the D to be agressive against the pass. On offense, once again, mix it up and DO NOT MAKE MISTAKES. Some of Suggs best passes of the day could very well be out of bounds. Last weeks game was a dream as far as planning and execution and the same would go a long way this week. Fundamental football should send the Noles back to Tallahassee with their tail between their legs and make my life at work with their fairweather fans a little more endurable. GO JACKETS!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Y Jacket:
We have to make McPherson beat us with his arm. We cannot let him "Charlie Ward" us like he is capable of. I don't think they can run effectively on us but we have to make sure of that.

On the other hand we have to be able to run - would be great to shove it down their throat but at least we have to keep them honest.

AJ has to have a good day throwing. No picks. He has to stretch the defense and throw deep. We cannot just throw 10 yard outs - they will pick one and take it back.

I would like to see us use the tight end over the middle off of play action.

Net net - Unless McPherson beats us with scrambling I think we can control their offense and that makes this a close game I believe GT wins.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree for the most part with what you are saying but in the passing game you have to take what they are giving. If they are playing 2 deep zone and soft on the corners you take the 5-10 yarders and say thank you very much!!! When they tighten down on that, then you can find someone open downfield. Just like AJ did to NC State and Grossman did to the Dawgs last Saturday.

RW1 - No real argument from me. Take what they give you. The basis for my comment about stretching the defense was based on 2 points I didn't articulate:

1) FSU has for years played aggressive cover defense by their corners. Usually press man to man. I assume they are still doing this and not falling back into a soft zone as others have done.

2) In order to run effectively, I want to do things to keep the safety out of the box. The best way to do this is to stretch the D with the threat of the deep pass and make the safety think about the tight end if he commits totally to the run. Not that every play is a bomb - just make sure they know we can and will do it on occasion.

But if we can just jam it down their throat I will be happy too.

Superior coaching will be the difference tomorrow in a GT win. Coach Gailey and staff must coach from pre-game to the end as I know they can; using innovation within the established game plan.
Exploiting weaknesses, profitting from chaos, and pulling a play outta the wazoo if need be. A favored opponent is defeated by having a better game plan.

"There is no such thing as luck, only prepardness meeting opportunity."

As usual, I'll be watching how we match up on the line.

On Offense, can we open the holes so GC can make a play, will AJ have enough time to look off the first receiver. ND status is vital here.

On Defense, will FSUs size take its toll on our inside line and the linebackers. Keeping the defense off the field is key in the second half.

If we play hard, like we did last week,we can beat them. I don't have any doubt that we will play with last week's intensity.
If they get their stuff together too, it'll be one hell of a ball game.

GT needs to continue the positives from the NCSTATE game.

1. Attacking Defense at all times. Use our LB strength.

2. Ball Control with long drives. Score TD's first. Innovative play calling on all downs.

3. Don't let up for 60 minutes in any phase. Don't give up big yardage to F$U's special teams.

4. POSITIVE FAN SUPPORT FROM START TO FINISH.

jump.gif

I think the key to the game is for our offense to keep the ball and burn time on 12 and 14 play drives. If we get into situations where we are going three and out then our defense will tire and it could get ugly. I really believe we have at least an even chance of winning this game and this is the first time since 1992 that I have felt that way. Lets all raise the roof on Saturday
and inspire the jackets to victory. I'm an old man with a walking cane but if we win this one I
may just run all the way to my car.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
I'm an old man with a walking cane but if we win this one I
may just run all the way to my car.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's great, Big Buck!

I was absolutely sure we were going to win last year and think we would have if not for 9/11.

I'm back. I would have finished my post but I had a former teacher of mine who's an UGAg fan trying to kill me for insulting this UGAly mutt banner in his classroom.
Don't worry - I'm tearing it down Monday, to fit the song:
Down with the Red and Black

My final keys to the game are:

3) Halftime. Coach- Find something to tell our boys at halftime to fire them up. Run a tape of the 2000 game's final missed pass interference call. Show some of the ugly '92 game - SOMETHING to keep them pumped.

4) Fans. Now, more than anytime this year our players need us. I've said it several times this week - we need to ROCK ATLANTA. Register on the Richter Scale.(Spelling? Nothing with Richt in it can be right..) Deafen Down-Town. Cause Hurricane Chan with the shakers. We need to bring down the house.

If we keep our heads in the game, make some big plays, keep their offense off the field and wear down the defense we'll be fine. If we do our part as fans we'll win for sure.

My ploy will be to turn the TV off if we get behind. It works every time.

On a more serious note, BeeWare has a pertinent point. You do not beat a good team by letting them see blood. If we punt with fourth and one, or less, in their territory, it will be a sign of weakness and the sharks will smell the blood.

Also, on defense, we must attack. We cannot sit back and let them come to us.

drinking.gif

Don't make any mistakes. F$U feeds on the other team's mistakes, and makes them pay for it. They seem to take control of the game when their opponent makes its first mistake. GT must be perfect.
drinking.gif

Big Buck, I love it!!

We will beat the noles tomorrow! This is our day. We'll play with great intensity, pride, and heart.

Let's get on them early and not let up!

GO JACKETS!

Back