Lane Kiffin -- back in the SEC

djkix

Varsity Lurker
I would've been happy in the sunny, beachy Boca. Why go to a nowhereville place like Athens?

somsjacket

Varsity Lurker
Ok, I know they're divorced but Layla Kiffin pictures are not to be ignored and most certainly do reflect on his judgement ...

Layla-Kiffin.jpg
You must not have been to the Ole Miss campus. Half the Coeds are hotter (and richer) that Kiffin's ex.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Kiffin is one hell of an offensive coach. It will be fun to see him troll Saban from within the same conference for a while.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
Sun Bowl
Weirdest game:
No other bowl can top El Paso’s atypical energy:

• 1939: The most boring bowl ever. Tempe Normal Teacher’s College (now Arizona State) and Catholic (still Catholic) combined for zero points and three pass completions for 16 yards in a turnover-filled abomination. Each head coach then assured the media he had the superior team, as coaches do.
  • 1944: Texas’ Southwestern Pirates defeated the National Autonomous University of Mexico Pumas, 35-0. Unfortunately, the Pumas remain in the record books as the only team to produce negative yards in a Division I bowl, including an astounding -25 yards per pass completion???????????????
  • 1947: Virginia Tech arrived with a 3-3-3 record. I have your attention already. In the coldest and snowiest game in “Sun” history, pre-Beamerball stood tall. VT blocked all three of Cincinnati’s extra points, blocked a punt, and saw the Bearcats muster only 19 yards per punt. But Cincinnati won, thanks to 369 yards rushing.
  • 1967: In the first Sun broadcast by CBS, Auburn threw four interceptions, while Arizona threw eight, including six by a guy named Bruce Lee. Twelve INTs is an all-bowls record. You can see why CBS chose to keep the Sun Bowl to this day.
  • 2001: Kyle Orton heaved 74 passes (again, I have your attention already) for Purdue, Jason Gesser chucked 40 for Washington State, and a couple relief pitchers joined in, giving us the all-bowls record for passes in a game. They combined for a 46% completions rate.
  • 2007: Oregon State 3, Pitt 0, the grimmest bowl anywhere since the 1950s.
  • 2012: USC became the most overrated team since 1962, losing to Paul Johnson’s Georgia Tech in a game the Trojans openly wanted no part of. To this day, people ask the Shutdown Fullcast for details on what led to new Ole Miss head coach Lane Kiffin covering his face with sunglasses and a hood throughout the game. The answer is not all that mysterious.

GT7378

Varsity Lurker
USC was under some really heavy penalties at the time for the Reggie Bush era malfeasance.

Kiffin's a pretty good coach, IMHO. Perhaps not a great son-in-law.
John's been gone for awhile, he'd never know.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
I thought Luke was okay. He inherited a dumpster fire. I hope he gets a gig somewhere. Now in a very short time Mississippi football has lost Freeze and State lost Mullen. And Norvell is leaving Memphis. Big change in recruiting that area.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Is that Lane’s father in law?
Kiffin divorced Layla. As far as I'm aware, he isn't married anymore so he doesn't have a father-in-law.
I figured he was referring to John Robinson.