Lane Kiffin's Buyout

18in32

Petard Hoister
For all the Kiffin enthusiasts out there, below is summary of the ten-year contract he signed with FAU after the successful season last year, taken from this website.

TLDR: He's got to pay FAU $2 mil (2x his annual salary) if he leaves FAU at the end of the year. Presumably any school that hires his would pay that... effectively raising the cost of CPJ's buyout by 50%.

• The 10 year contract gives Kiffin a base salary of $950,000 annually. It’s the same base salary under his previous contract that was done by former AD Pat Chun.
  • The buyout clause is $2 million should Kiffin leave for a new school at the end of the season. The same buyout amount under Chun. The buyout drops to $1.5 million after the 2019 season and $1 million after the 2020 season.
  • Kiffin’s salary pool for assistants is a little over $2 million for each year of his contract.
  • Kiffin will receive a $20,000 bonus for reaching the Conference USA Championship Game.
  • If FAU wins C-USA for the second straight season, Kiffin will receive a $40,000 bonus.
  • Kiffin will receive a $50,000 bonus if FAU ends the 2018 season in the Top 25.
  • Annual membership of the Boca Raton Resort & Club as long as he’s the head coach.

MNeE7.jpg

For all the Kiffin enthusiasts out there, below is summary of the ten-year contract he signed with FAU after the successful season last year, taken from this website.

TLDR: He's got to pay FAU $2 mil (2x his annual salary) if he leaves FAU at the end of the year. Presumably any school that hires his would pay that... effectively raising the cost of CPJ's buyout by 50%.

• The 10 year contract gives Kiffin a base salary of $950,000 annually. It’s the same base salary under his previous contract that was done by former AD Pat Chun.
  • The buyout clause is $2 million should Kiffin leave for a new school at the end of the season. The same buyout amount under Chun. The buyout drops to $1.5 million after the 2019 season and $1 million after the 2020 season.
  • Kiffin’s salary pool for assistants is a little over $2 million for each year of his contract.
  • Kiffin will receive a $20,000 bonus for reaching the Conference USA Championship Game.
  • If FAU wins C-USA for the second straight season, Kiffin will receive a $40,000 bonus.
  • Kiffin will receive a $50,000 bonus if FAU ends the 2018 season in the Top 25.
  • Annual membership of the Boca Raton Resort & Club as long as he’s the head coach.
That is not that big of a buyout, we either bring the marbles or get off the board

I’m just keeping him top of mind!

Is there any remote reason to believe he would come here? I know, show the $$$ and make him say no; but GT doesn't have that type of $$$. I'd be beyond surprised if a highly successful assistant that can likely have his pick of jobs would leave a program firing on all cylinders to one that doesn't have many cylinders to begin w/.

art is way too old.. im on the lane train!
Briles will have a huge chip on his shoulder and the motivation to be a national title contender. Lane will just do the bare minimum to keep his Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights free to spend at Moondogs.

Is there any remote reason to believe he would come here? I know, show the $$$ and make him say no; but GT doesn't have that type of $$$. I'd be beyond surprised if a highly successful assistant that can likely have his pick of jobs would leave a program firing on all cylinders to one that doesn't have many cylinders to begin w/.
Um... Kiffin get's paid 1/3 of what CPJ gets paid. GT has way way more money than FAU does.

It's a separate question whether Kiffin might have some institutional loyalty to FAU and his players...

[insert angry UT fan reaction gif here]

Um... Kiffin get's paid 1/3 of what CPJ gets paid. GT has way way more money than FAU does.

It's a separate question whether Kiffin might have some institutional loyalty to FAU and his players...

[insert angry UT fan reaction gif here]

I was responding to ScionofSouthland's post about Venables. The board wouldn't entertain Kiffin to begin w/.

art is way too old.. im on the lane train!

I'm guessing you would turn Saban down as well? He's only 4 years older then Art who's only a year older then our current coach. Bring Art and his son Kendal and this ship would turn.

Back