Leaving a game early

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
I have a confession to make. I'm a "bolter" when our team is losing badly. I have left as early as half-time, often by the start of the fourth quarter when the outcome is clear.

Not out of anger or boredom; but as I get older I seem to have a lower threshold for discomfort; I've also stopped riding in small sports cars....

How do the rest of you feel about this?

I have never ever left a game early, no matter how painful. Been a season ticket holder for 13 years, incluidng going to about 3 away games each year. Same with basketball.

I think I was 1 of about 200 GT fans that were left at the final whistle in Athens last year.

Course I can't say I was sober any more at that time. I said I would stay at the games, but I will drink my blues away.
tongue.gif

I guess my feeling is that if I am expecting the players to give it their all no matter what the score, I can at least stay to support them.

All one idiot's opinion, of course.

unless it's a life or death emergency of some sort, i won't leave a fball or bball game in the middle.

but i have left beesball games, baseball is the most boring sport to have ever become popular.

Originally posted by GeeTee:
Confession: I left the UGA game early. Can you blame me???
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GeeTee .. i have a hard time believing that you're a tech fan. Can you blame *me*???

I've never left a GT football or hoops game early.

I stood through every last miserable second of
51-7 up in those nosebleed seats.

I have also left all kinds of games early, but I do admire those who stay and suffer.

I have even known athletes to leave games early when losing. They get mad, make a scene and get thrown out of the games.

wink.gif

I began buying season tickets Curry's first year. I bought three and took my daughter and son teen-agers. I was driving, I bought the tickets, and there were times I left early and would not speak to anyone (except to blow off steam) 'till sometime late that night. Unlike 71, in my old age (turned 65 day before yesterday) I am changing in the opposite direction. These days my daughter buys the tickets and if she drags the old man along, I am there, at her insistance, beginning with Y.J.Alley (where we usually are present one hour before the team), then we do the bookstore (thank goodness no more mountain climbing with the new store), do the Varsity, watch all the warm-ups, and remain standing at our seats until the last player has left the field; win, lose or draw.

I figure if I'm going to stay for the wins (the blowouts), then I ought to stay for the losses too. Like someone else said, the players play the full 4 quarters...

Originally posted by GeeTee:
Confession: I left the UGA game early. Can you blame me???
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Me too. I feel really guilty about it. It sure was a relief to get out of athens that night, tho...

To hell with a conscience!

Sometimes it's better for me to get back to the tailgate, turn on 790 The Zone, and down a beer. I don't feel guilty of this decision AT ALL and I'll only do so when the outcome has been determined. The way I see it, my forking out $180 entitles me to do so.

But I agree in that I respect others that want to wait til the very end. Whatever floats your boat.

I stayed until the horn blew in Athens, maybe it was because my ride was a dawg fan though, besides who wanted to miss johnnathan smith run the offense anyway?

TechFan, riding with a dawg after that game! I bet that was the longest ride of your life?

pat.gif

Good thread...

I rarely leave a game early, and I guess you could say that I am a masochist (sp?) but when I have left games early it was usually when we were winning by alot or because I couldnt afford to be stuck in traffic (sometimes the schedule is tight on a Saturday afternoon)...

I have never left a game in which we were losing... not even a blow out... one of the more painful losses I sat till the end for was the Wake Forest game in 1987... it was cold and breezy that day.. and we were whipped... and I can tell you that there werent many people sitting around me, but those who were wanted Ross out of there that day...

For whatever reason I always feel more of a need to stay thru the losses or blow outs moreso than the victories..

71: Zoom! Zoom! No, just kidding. Your comment was a lol one though. Riding lawnmower is enough of a thrill for me these days.

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
2BTs,

Nice aviatar (sp?), young Elvis is much better than older Elvis.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That looks like ContactBuzz before he got his
hair cut short!

laugh.gif

Well, the only game I can remember leaving early was UGAg 2 years ago at BDS. Left with about 3 minutes left and cussed every dawg on saw on the way out.

I can't go to Athens anymore. Approaching the half century mark, have lost my patience but not enough testosterone. Recipe for conflict... and we all know...

Only Tech game I've left early was a baseball game a couple years ago when we had it wrapped up. I've never left a football game, but I'll admit that if I had gone to the game in Athens last year, I would've left at halftime. The team wasn't there in the last 2+ quarters, why should I be? There's a difference between watching your team get beat and watching your team lay down, but that's another story...
lightningzap.gif

I usually go to my seat about 30-45 minutes before kickoff and I'm usually one of the last people to leave. I even hung around 20 minutes or so after the Duke game last year. It must've been about 40 degrees when the game ended, but I was rewarded by finding a poncho and a couple seat cushions that people had left behind.

Back