Leaving a game early

Other than last 11/30, I attempted to leave a home game early. It was "98 and UVA just made it 21-0 before the end of the first quarter.

I looked at my new wife (second) and said grab your gear, we are out. She sat frozen while I picked up and left. AS I was heading down the ramp from the upper east, she called me a "pussy" to give up.

I came back, and naturally we tore the posts down after a field goal to win it at the end.

44-41,45-42,-48-45. They all sound right

Only time I can remember leaving early was Ugag on Thanksgiving night '75. When it got to 42-0 at the half I decided my date was a hell of a lot hotter than the Jackets were so we bolted. I guess it would have been cool to see the 26 straight we scored in the second half, but I can't complain about the alternative.
wink.gif

Never leave more than about 60 seconds early, so I can hightail it and slip this 63 year old body into a silver Honda S2000, put the top down and head on home for a cold brew. This of course assumes I limited my tailgating consumption, otherwise the wife drives, though she hates the stick shift and driving position (very different than her MDX SUV).

I've stayed every second of the few games I've been to before, and will be staying through every second of the games this year and the rest of my life as a seasons ticket holder.

I never leave early. SWMBO will sometimes leave but I'll stick it out to the bitter end.

Mention was made of two of the worse experiences by other posters; 1987 WF game and 2002 UGa game. I stuck it out both times.

Never get too high with the wins, or too low with the losses.

I have left a few games early, but only a few.
But, hey, I've never been late for a game.

Get there too early and have never left before it was over. There were a few times in 29 years I wanted to but felt very guilty in even thinking it.

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
Other than last 11/30, I attempted to leave a home game early. It was "98 and UVA just made it 21-0 before the end of the first quarter.

I looked at my new wife (second) and said grab your gear, we are out. She sat frozen while I picked up and left. AS I was heading down the ramp from the upper east, she called me a "pussy" to give up.

I came back, and naturally we tore the posts down after a field goal to win it at the end.

44-41,45-42,-48-45. They all sound right
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wow! I bet you're glad you didn't leave early for that one. I was a Junior at the time, and that was the greatest game I ever saw. I like to call it Joe's coming out game.

I even met my wife later that night! October 17, 1998. I belive the final score was 41-38.

smile.gif

You got that right!

It must have been miserable to have been a UVA fan during the home stretch of the nose pickers coaching career.
In addition to this TECH comeback, there was of course 1990. Wasn't it in '98 as well that Va. got out to a huge lead on ugag in the Peach only to lose it in the second half? I'm sure there were others!!

I am a die hard stay to the bitter end kind of guy. The only game that I have left early was the Maryland game in 1988. I left at halftime because
of weakness. I was taking treatments for cancer and my doctors had given me a bad prognosis so I wanted to see the Jackets play as long as I could. I had lost over 100 pounds and this is one time that my wife protested about my going to a FB game but she was right there nevertheless. But the longer I stayed there the weaker I got so I decided I had better leave before I created a scene by having someone carry me from the stadium.
Looking back in retrospect that was a foolish caper but at least I brought the Jackets luck as they beat the Terps that day.

Big Buck, sounds like you beat a really bad cancer-down 100 lbs and telling funny stories about it 15 years later!

God bless you!

OOPS, My wife tells me that it was the Maryland Game in 1989-not 1988 as I posted above. I guess it must have touched my mind or maybe i'm getting too old.It's bad when you go into a room and forget what you went in there for. Anyway, i'm a dyed in the wool OF that love Tech.

I've never left a game early. It's the rule of my house, and fortunatly SWMBO understands. I was at the Cesspool last year even after our band played "The Horse". I sat in the Georgia section last year, and they couldn't believe that I stuck it out the entire game. There was another Tech fan about 2 rows behind me, but he bailed early. When we finally scored a touchdown, I had no one to celebrate with, so the Dawg fans sitting around me all "high-fived" me out of pity.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
I am a die hard stay to the bitter end kind of guy. The only game that I have left early was the Maryland game in 1988. I left at halftime because
of weakness. I was taking treatments for cancer and my doctors had given me a bad prognosis so I wanted to see the Jackets play as long as I could. I had lost over 100 pounds and this is one time that my wife protested about my going to a FB game but she was right there nevertheless. But the longer I stayed there the weaker I got so I decided I had better leave before I created a scene by having someone carry me from the stadium.
Looking back in retrospect that was a foolish caper but at least I brought the Jackets luck as they beat the Terps that day.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BigBuck: You win the "Diehard" award under these conditions!! Glad you were able to make it through and see the Jackets wins!

I've never left early. I wait all year for football, so any bit I can see is interesting - even if it's the 3rd team. I also stayed in Athens until the bitter end.

I will never forget one loudmouth who made sort of a public announcement as he got up about how disgusted he was, he was sick of this s__t and was going to dinner. This was the UVA game at BDS about five years ago. A few minutes later Tech began one of the most exciting comebacks ever, and from where we were sitting it seemed Dez White took a Joe H. pass and ran right past us. Wherever he is, that idiot probably regrets not only missing the comeback and great win, but announcing how smart he was to get an early dinner to everyone he could get to hear him.

Moose...we were both blessed with SWMBOs who put
up with us. (We both outkicked our coverage too!)

Originally posted by GTMoose:
I've never left a game early. It's the rule of my house, and fortunatly SWMBO understands. I was at the Cesspool last year even after our band played "The Horse". I sat in the Georgia section last year, and they couldn't believe that I stuck it out the entire game. There was another Tech fan about 2 rows behind me, but he bailed early. When we finally scored a touchdown, I had no one to celebrate with, so the Dawg fans sitting around me all "high-fived" me out of pity.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Back