Life After the Triple Option-SI

Your mistake is thinking that it’s personal. It’s not. PJ gave me a great opportunity to advance my life by giving me a scholarship to one of the most prestigious institutions in the world. Go read my statement I put out in the AJC way back when. I answered your facetious response with one of my own.

You never saw the problems that not meeting as a full unit created so I wouldn’t expect you to understand why it is a problem. You’re a lawyer right? Would you expect a legal team to never meet together as a full unit before going to trial? How ridiculous!
No, of course not, and if you say that's a problem I believe you. But there are also undoubtedly advantages, as well. CGC's decision to have people learn multiple positions sounds great – until you see a player who hasn't learned his primary position well enough. But there are many ways to handle these matters, and none of them is the 'right' way. The evaluation whether a certain decision within a certain aspect of a coach's distinctive way of doing things is a net plus or a net negative is too speculative and too dependent on too many other variables to ever be settled definitively.

The point is that the way CPJ did it, on the whole, yielded the results we got, on the whole. And on the whole I'm happy CPJ was our coach when he was our coach. He accomplished more at GT than any coach in 50 years, one black swan season in 1990 aside. Nitpicking elements of what he did that you don't like is fine... so long as you're also giving him due credit for what he did accomplish. And there are some posters, yourself included, who spend way more time complaining about what he did that you don't like, than praising him for what he did that was so impressive. In my opinion that's unfair.

Of course, I'm also happy that CGC is our coach now that he's our coach. I don't wish CPJ were still our coach, but I bear him no negative feelings.

Last edited:
No, of course not, and if you say that's a problem I believe you. But there are also undoubtedly advantages, as well. CGC's decision to have people learn multiple positions sounds great – until you see a player who hasn't learned his primary position well enough. But there are many ways to handle these matters, and none of them is the 'right' way. The evaluation whether a certain decision within a certain aspect of a coach's distinctive way of doing things is a net plus or a net negative is too speculative and too dependent on too many other variables to ever be settled definitively.

The point is that the way CPJ did it, on the whole, yielded the results we got, on the whole. And on the whole I'm happy CPJ was our coach when he was our coach. He accomplished more at GT than any coach in 50 years, one black swan season in 1990 aside. Nitpicking elements of what he did that you don't like is fine... so long as you're also giving him due credit for what he did accomplish. And there are some posters, yourself included, who spend way more time complaining about what he did that you don't like than praising him for what he did that was so impressive. In my opinion that's unfair.

Of course, I'm also happy that CGC is our coach now that he's our coach. I don't wish CPJ were still our coach, but I bear him no negative feelings.
The O'Leary flunkgate embarrassed GT badly. Paul Johnson was charged with the almost impossible task of winning with players under strict GT academic standards. It worked for a while. But the combination of academics and an unpopular offense led to Duke teams that overmatched us in strength, speed and size--- and led to losses of 4/5 games. That's understandable in basketball. But that should NEVER happen in football, anymore than Georgia Tech beating Georgia 4 out of 5 times--- off the scale!

The point is that the way CPJ did it, on the whole, yielded the results we got, on the whole. And on the whole I'm happy CPJ was our coach when he was our coach. He accomplished more at GT than any coach in 50 years, one black swan season in 1990 aside. Nitpicking elements of what he did that you don't like is fine... so long as you're also giving him due credit for what he did accomplish. And there are some posters, yourself included, who spend way more time complaining about what he did that you don't like, than praising him for what he did that was so impressive. In my opinion that's unfair.

It’s not like I’m creating threads. I just comment on the topic at hand. I’ll make sure to pay homage to an OB victory every time I criticize so as not to trigger the southern fans.

The O'Leary flunkgate embarrassed GT badly. Paul Johnson was charged with the almost impossible task of winning with players under strict GT academic standards. It worked for a while. But the combination of academics and an unpopular offense led to Duke teams that overmatched us in strength, speed and size--- and led to losses of 4/5 games. That's understandable in basketball. But that should NEVER happen in football, anymore than Georgia Tech beating Georgia 4 out of 5 times--- off the scale!
i am amazed that an innocent mistake that did not give us an advantage embarassed GT badly but the multiple ethics violations under Peterson are brushed aside. And who do you consider to be GT? Is it the alumni or is it a group of administrators who have no loyalty to GT? Apparently nothing can embarrass UNC.

Back