Man, does Furman Bisher lay it on the line for GT!!!!!

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Great column from Bisher in the AJC & it's a HARD line for GT Fans
"Tech was lucky they weren't playing the WAC champion, Boise St, who hung 67 on Fresno St". "Gailey should go into Spring practice & either cut it or come to realize that both he & Ga Tech have made a mistake". "Would seem to indicate a serious overhaul of Gailey's staff". Terrific stuff.

Furman Bisher on state of GT

Ironically Bishor carries ENORMOUS weight and in fact Braine showed Gailey an article by Bishor to see if Gailey could fit the bill.

I think this has raised the stakes somewhat. I think next year will be a do or die year for Gailey. If he does not have a good year he will probably leave on his own accord.

A good year could be 8 wins if we start a freshman QB and finish strong. With the schedule next year it will be interesting.

You're right, Law, Bisher drew a line in the sand. I can't believe how Bish nailed the feelings of the huge majority of GT fans so well in 1 article. This is worth printing out to discourse upon even after Spring training.
Thank you Mr Bisher for publishing this piece & doing it the right way.

Bisher has been following Tech football since the late '40s,so he knows of which he speaks. Thanks for calling our attention to this column.

Ol Furman's NOT a FOCer. One can read between the lines that he hates what is happening to a once-proud program.
BOO

A must read for all GT fans. This man has been reporting GT football for over 50 years and understands the great traditions.

law, why would we start a freshman QB? Just to go through what DB hasn't had a chance to do yet? THWG

Mr. Bisher's late son was a Tech man; lot's of close ties here. Alway's enjoy his columns. Hope they continue for a long-time to come.

Great article ! He put all my thoughts together for me!!
blue.gif

Great article and viewpoint. One must listen to what he has to say about GT. We know it comes from the heart with a true love of GT.

He is the only shining light at AJC in any department.

A few years back when ND was playing Tech in the Gator ND was saying we are ND and should not play in this bowl but a big name bowl. Well Tech with it's national reputation should not have played this game either in or out of San Jose. Better to have stayed at home than the fiasco in SJ. FB is right CG either (pardon the language) craps or gets off the pot.

Finally, something in print that says it all. Furman was very positive when Tech hired Gailey. It's great to see that his concern and expertise has changed his thinking and made a huge statement in the paper!

We all needed this! It's so frustrating to have to see what is happening and not be able to do anything but vent. I do believe our venting has been heard ... it's obvious that Furman has heard the masses!

Thank you, Furman!!!

MsT you are right on with your comments about Furman Bisher. My question is, Why can't we hear something from the flats? Give the fans some reassurance. It has been like a morgue since the Ugag game.

Amen, brother Bisher!

I disagree about FB "hearing the masses", though.

Furman Bisher is more of a student of TECH football than most all of us combined will ever be. He doesn't need any of us to make him aware of what's going on and he's always been faithful to speak his mind. We should be grateful that he still obviously cares about our great tradition.

-here's a little story from Uncle Furman-
wink.gif

Bisher is a great reporter and editorialist, and has always been positive toward GT. This article is no exception.

1) He didn't like the bowl as a bowl in any way. Agreed. At best it was a "scrimmage" for GT, a scrimmage that went bad. OK.

2) Tech doesn't have a QB. Agreed.

3)He calls for "a serious overhaul of Chan Gailey's coaching staff". It's hard to know exactly what "serious' means (replace everyone? change co-ordinators? tell Braine to butt out?), but he's talking about GAILEY'S staff, not Gailey's head. I agree with those who obseve that Tuberville helped AU with a shake-up, even if the new coaches aren't necessarily better than the old ones. They are new, anyway.

4) He suggests that CG was deceived about our talent level, presumably at QB. Deceived by whom, one wonders. Braine? BO'B? Could be.

5) If Chan doesn't get it done, he should go. Well, gee, that's rather obvious, even to a FOCer like me.

Hey, lawbee, you don't happen to know the article DB shared w/CG do you? Wouldn't it be interesting to read?

THANK YOU, FURMAN!! Maybe someone will actually pay attention. HOPE DB SHARED THIS ONE WITH CG!
pat.gif

I posted earlier that Mr. Bisher's late son was a Tech man, ME I believe.

Many new readers may be suprised to hear of his connection and affection for Tech. His relationship with Tech has been held close to his vest and has not kept him from being objective in his reporting, unlike most of the AJC writers who slobber all over UGA.

Great post gnats, thanks for sharing the article. I wonder if Dave Braine really understood who he was comparing Chan Gailey to when he introduced his new Head Coach?

Deceived about the talent level? That pisses me off. While hardly expecting a BCS bowl or ACC championship, you can't tell me that if Grobe had switched sidelines and coached our team the Wake game would be different. We returned 18 starters I believe from a team that at least posted a winning record under O'Leary, hardly a situation that calls for starting all over.

The man assumed this job like a vacation. I've seen none of the mat drills, sand pits and installation of a "system" that Richt took to Georgia. It started haphazerdly and ended that way last week.

Furman is accurate, fair, and his measured opionion should raise awareness to Braine and others to what a few of us have been saying all along - there is trouble here. It is time to face it and have a plan to get us out of it.

Father, if Grobe had switched sidelines and coached our team the Wake game would be different.

Back