Man, does Furman Bisher lay it on the line for GT!!!!!

GREAT article by Furman Bisher, the last of a dying breed of Atlanta journalists who still carries and REMEMBERS the proud traditions of GT into the new milennium (sp). We are VERY lucky to be able to get FB's perspective on all sports, especially GT.

I believe Dave Braine feels like Chan Gailey is the closest thing to Bobby Dodd we may ever get at GT. I hope he's right. I have a feeling he could be. We'll see.

JacketFanPCB

I don't have any feelings about Gailey remaining that are good, nothing I have seen so far reminds me of Bobby Dodd or any other successful coach.

I do believe he will be our HC in 2003, so I hope you are right.

How about sharing some of your reasons for hope.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Father, if Grobe had switched sidelines and coached our team the Wake game would be different.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bellyseries does this mean that you agree that CG was not the better coach? If so would you give us an explanation as to why you have such undying loyalty to him? I am not asking this to be sarcastic or to be a jerk. I am truly looking for reasons to support the man.

Originally posted by JacketFanPCB:
I believe Dave Braine feels like Chan Gailey is the closest thing to Bobby Dodd we may ever get at GT. I hope he's right. I have a feeling he could be. We'll see.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Maybe I am just plain to dense to understand, but comparing Gailey to Bobby Dodd? There is not a living coach that is even close except maybe Papa Joe. Certainly not Chan Gailey.

GMC 68,

Maybe you and I took JacketFan's posting all wrong. Perhaps he was bringing our attention to Braine's lack of skills in evaluating coaching talent.

Originally posted by OfficiallyBuzz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
Father, if Grobe had switched sidelines and coached our team the Wake game would be different.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bellyseries does this mean that you agree that CG was not the better coach? If so would you give us an explanation as to why you have such undying loyalty to him? I am not asking this to be sarcastic or to be a jerk. I am truly looking for reasons to support the man.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It doesn't actually mean anything, Officially. I was just ragging Wasp a little bit.

As for supporting CG, there are a couple of reasons I am happy to do so:

He's the Georgia Tech coach, and I'm a GT fan. In other words, loyalty.

Everyone who has spoken about him who knows football, former players, former colleagues, guys who make a living observing sports, our own AD, with perhaps one exception (Aikman), say he's a great hire and a great fit for Tech. I do not include typists on sports boards, such as myself, among those who Know Football.

There is no need to repeat the endless remarks about his first year blues. I think even -ahem- Jim Grobe might have had a little problem at GT this year, particularly as a first year coach.

The recruiting class, so far, looks excellent. He is apparently able to sell Tech and Tech football.

Of course, if he eventually tanks, I'll be happy to say goodbye. And I'll support the next GT coach.

Bellyseries, thanks for your explanation. While I am 100% GT, I also believe in supporting our coach. There comes a time however when we have to decide what is more important to support: Our long standing tradition and the future of our school or supporting an individual. Unfortunately all of us have a different point on where we decide to move from one to the other.

I totally respect your position and I am pleased to say I honor it even though I feel differently about when it is time to make a change. Like you I will support GT regardless of a few individuals decisions or actions. Nice to be a fan with someone like you who has a true loyalty.

Originally posted by OfficiallyBuzz:
Bellyseries, thanks for your explanation. While I am 100% GT, I also believe in supporting our coach. There comes a time however when we have to decide what is more important to support: Our long standing tradition and the future of our school or supporting an individual. Unfortunately all of us have a different point on where we decide to move from one to the other.

I totally respect your position and I am pleased to say I honor it even though I feel differently about when it is time to make a change. Like you I will support GT regardless of a few individuals decisions or actions. Nice to be a fan with someone like you who has a true loyalty.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Back atcha, Officially. I really don't think that it is unfortunate that all of us differ on when to pull the trigger. No one is infallible and we need to hear the differing points of view (no doubt you agree), that's why StinGTalk is a great board.

Great comment about Stingtalk, belly. I like it because it doesn't censor our feelings even though some of us can get out of line at times. (Yes, I am pointing a finger at myself.) Also we can make some strong comments to each other ocassionally but I don't believe any of them are meant personally. Just a strong disagreement on opinions.

It helps to get your feelings out and move on.

Keep your posts going even though I rarely agree with you. lol

Thanks GMC, we agree on StinGTalk. And I appreciate the Jeremiah reference, it's an encouraging verse.

Back