Man testifies to paying college players

My point: The AFL and XFL didn't last, but I don't see anything other than NCAA lobbyists in the way of a minor league that pays players and has an age range of 18-21 years. The bone density argument is a good argument for why the NFL can't take kids under 20, but a minor league could provide the development time in the same way the NCAA does. I think such a thing would actually be good for the NCAA because the monopoly would be disrupted and universities would have to make the case that their degrees are more valuable to recruits than the minor league's paycheck.
Why on Earth would the NFL pay for that when they've got a perfectly good and free feeder system right now?

Why on Earth would the NFL pay for that when they've got a perfectly good and free feeder system right now?

Unfortunately, this. I'd love for there to be a clear alternate path for players that have no interest in obtaining a college degree (like the MLB model), but unless one of the AFL/XFL leagues manages to get a foothold, or there's a serious shake-up in college ball, there's no motivation for the NFL to implement it.

Doesn't have to be the NFL running it. I'm thinking whoever funded the AFL or XFL could stop trying to compete for UDFAs from the NFL and start competing for 18-year-olds who'd rather get paid than play for the NCAA. I think it'd get more draw because you're looking at future NFL players (possibly) rather than NFL washouts.

The NFL would still get a free feeder. The NCAA would fight it tooth & nail, dripping with irony.

That seems pretty unfair to all the guys who aren't cheating. That's a level of intrusiveness that we wouldn't tolerate in almost any other arena.
Exactly. A high price to pay to be a ncaa student athlete

That seems pretty unfair to all the guys who aren't cheating. That's a level of intrusiveness that we wouldn't tolerate in almost any other arena.
Have you not filled out a college application? The financial aid forms are supposedly insane.

Have you not filled out a college application? The financial aid forms are supposedly insane.
Financial aid forms are loan applications....?

The purpose of these proposed forms is to monitor the S/A's personal and family assets for suspicious inflows. So every time an S/A gets a new truck, the internet can go gaga about what a cheater he is? Not in my 'Murica.

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be the NFL running it. I'm thinking whoever funded the AFL or XFL could stop trying to compete for UDFAs from the NFL and start competing for 18-year-olds who'd rather get paid than play for the NCAA. I think it'd get more draw because you're looking at future NFL players (possibly) rather than NFL washouts.

The NFL would still get a free feeder. The NCAA would fight it tooth & nail, dripping with irony.
But there's no money in it for the guys funding it. The CFL failed. The XFL failed. The AAF failed. The XFL 2.0 looks like a ööööing joke and I have no doubt it too will fail. I think even Arena Ball failed.

I don't want to watch kids not good enough or old enough to play in NFL play in a goofy wannabe league for the Baltimore Who-gives-a-öööös or the Toledo Dildos or Cleveland Browns. No one does. There's no market for minor league football, because no one wants to watch scrubs play unless its for the college team they went to, or their dad went to, or they bought a sweet Ed Hardy-style teeshirt from Wal-Mart with Hairy Dwag on it. There will never be a real market for minor league football.

Edit: Seriously, the alternatives to the NFL are so bad that neither of us realized the AFL still exists and that the league that died was the AAF.

It works in hockey and in professional soccer.

But there's no money in it for the guys funding it. The CFL failed. The XFL failed. The AAF failed. The XFL 2.0 looks like a ööööing joke and I have no doubt it too will fail. I think even Arena Ball failed.

I don't want to watch kids not good enough or old enough to play in NFL play in a goofy wannabe league for the Baltimore Who-gives-a-öööös or the Toledo Dildos or Cleveland Browns. No one does. There's no market for minor league football, because no one wants to watch scrubs play unless its for the college team they went to, or their dad went to, or they bought a sweet Ed Hardy-style teeshirt from Wal-Mart with Hairy Dwag on it. There will never be a real market for minor league football.

Edit: Seriously, the alternatives to the NFL are so bad that neither of us realized the AFL still exists and that the league that died was the AAF.
The LFL, Legends Football League (formerly Lingerie Football League) is still around. Apparently some people enjoy watching some non-NFL talent after all.

This is the answer

Sincere question (I don't have my own answer formulated, I'm honestly curious what you and others think), why is there enough interest in minor league baseball but not in football? Is it just that baseball already has such an established footprint already? Is it because the talent gap between minor and major baseball shows up less on the field than it does in football? I guess baseball has going for it that it's less reliant on real-time team coordination and strategy and more on single player effort. I just find it curious that baseball has a huge number of non-school, non-MLB teams/leagues operating around the country, but football can't seem to get a foothold.

It's an opinion. BTW I heard a Chinese family paid a $6 million bribe to get their daughter accepted to Stanford.
A Korean kid would have been smart enough to get in anyway. They take school pretty cereal

Sincere question (I don't have my own answer formulated, I'm honestly curious what you and others think), why is there enough interest in minor league baseball but not in football? Is it just that baseball already has such an established footprint already? Is it because the talent gap between minor and major baseball shows up less on the field than it does in football? I guess baseball has going for it that it's less reliant on real-time team coordination and strategy and more on single player effort. I just find it curious that baseball has a huge number of non-school, non-MLB teams/leagues operating around the country, but football can't seem to get a foothold.
There are lots of historical reasons why amateur football and amateur baseball are in different positions relative to their professional leagues in this country. The key thing today is that the minor leagues are ultimately supported by MLB, but the NFL doesn't have to spend any money on a minor league, because you and I support their minor league (NCAA FB) already.

My theories (of the spitball variety) - Baseball isn't a college sport. Hockey and baseball both encourage kids to jump from high school into the machinery and that machinery doesn't involve college for the most part. They're both the more international sports. They're also the two sports with a somewhat thriving minor league system.

I think the economics of baseball help it too. Football requires a huge roster and only plays a few games. College football is the defacto NFL minor league. Any minor league would be fighting against that behemoth. A baseball team is small, comparatively. They post up in a city for three or four days. The teams are regional and stick to smaller towns. CFB teams, for the most part, do the same thing.

Minor league football is a large roster, playing a few games, competing against the greatest sport in the history of the planet (CFB) for players and attention. A-ball baseball has a smaller roster, can get much more games out of those players for revenue, doesn't have to travel absurdly far and has no direct competition for players or attention. Ultimately, I think it comes down to economics and nothing else. Not the talent disparity, not the particulars of the sports themselves (beyond roster size), not the overall popularity of the major leagues.

It's not a lack of interest, it's a lack of money.

Back