Marco Coleman

MWT80

Varsity Lurker
Ever play “Marco Coleman” in the pool? Someone yells “Marco!!!” and you respond with “Coleman!!!” before dragging them under water until they give up. Fun game.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Ever play “Marco Coleman” in the pool? Someone yells “Marco!!!” and you respond with “Coleman!!!” before dragging them under water until they give up. Fun game.
That's weird – when my family and I play that game, we say, "Coleman" – "Rudolph" instead.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Geez you drown each other? We simply had to find the folks with our eyes closed.

deadchicken

Varsity Lurker
[QUOTE="Yukonwreck, post: 2280809, member: 4005"]Can he coach?[/QUOTE]
I think everyone loves former GT football players making it as coaches, but I do wonder about the question you asked. Can he coach? I've read only one year as an assistant DL coach for the Raiders. Not the DL coach, but an assistant to the DL coach. He's got the GT name and several years in the NFL as a player, but is he a proven coach? Maybe there is some other coaching duties that he has preformed in the past that I have missed.

sthorfinnr

We The Vanguard Stockholders
I think everyone loves former GT football players making it as coaches, but I do wonder about the question you asked. Can he coach? I see only one year as an assistant DL coach for the Raiders. Not the DL coach, but an assistant to the DL coach. He's got the GT name and several years in the NFL, but is he a proven coach? Maybe there is some other coaching duties that he has preformed in the past that I have missed.
Can Tech fans nitpick and doubt?

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Not enough evidence either way, so why bitch about it? He is one of the best Tech players in history and was thought of highly enough to be given an NFL coaching gig. Last I heard, they don’t just hand those out. Coach Collins has built an incredible staff, so not sure why I should think this hire is of any lower quality than the others.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
[QUOTE="Yukonwreck, post: 2280809, member: 4005"]Can he coach?
I think everyone loves former GT football players making it as coaches, but I do wonder about the question you asked. Can he coach? I've read only one year as an assistant DL coach for the Raiders. Not the DL coach, but an assistant to the DL coach. He's got the GT name and several years in the NFL as a player, but is he a proven coach? Maybe there is some other coaching duties that he has preformed in the past that I have missed.[/QUOTE]

You always have coaches at different stages of their development. We know MC knows how to relate to people and how he approaches his job. You can easily get that in one interview and a half dozen background calls. We know he is a role model to aspire to, so just having him around helps any number of your players. We know he knows how to play DE and how to work in the trenches. He has been undersized all his life, a "tweener" before being a tweener was cool. So we expect he is able to communicate that knowledge. He should be able to recruit well, and do so anywhere. He can help open up Ohio. He played in north and south Florida and DC, as well as other places.

More importantly, he should mesh well with this staff. When you build a team, you don't find all the most individually gifted or experienced people. You find the people that can accomplish the most as a team. MC appears to be a good fit.

Does he have things to learn as a coach? I am sure he does. Do we have coaches who can bring him to speed. Yes, yes we do. Does he have knowledge that can help the coaches we already have improve? Good chance of it. Does he deserve to be welcomed as a coach by all of us?

Without reservation.

deadchicken

Varsity Lurker
Not enough evidence either way, so why bitch about it? He is one of the best Tech players in history and was thought of highly enough to be given an NFL coaching gig. Last I heard, they don’t just hand those out. Coach Collins has built an incredible staff, so not sure why I should think this hire is of any lower quality than the others.
Time will tell. I hope he turns out to be one of the best coaches and recruiters we're hired. So far Coach Collins has been hitting home runs with his hires. I think there will be some on the job learning regarding recruiting, NCAA rules, and building relationships with high school coaches and player development on and off the field.

gt6828d

Varsity Lurker
I would think the fact he was a 1st round pick and starter for the Dolphins for Shula and with Marino gives him instant credibility in any recruit’s living room in South Florida. If we can steal a handful of good recruits out of that region then the hire pays off right there.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Does he have things to learn as a coach? I am sure he does. Do we have coaches who can bring him to speed. Yes, yes we do. Does he have knowledge that can help the coaches we already have improve? Good chance of it. Does he deserve to be welcomed as a coach by all of us?

Without reservation.
Cited for emphasis.