Marco Coleman

Serious question - do HS Juniors and Seniors even know who the hell Shula and Marino are?

You're talking about a couple of gods in Miami sports legend. I think Marino's jersey is still the best selling Dolphins jersey going, and a lot of those kids moms and dads probably have old #13 hanging in their closets.

I can tell you this. We've spent the last two regimes putting a premium on 'development' and 'X and O' coaches. We've had some single season successes, but have averaged right around 7-5ish. But I don't remember during the last two hires there being such a hardcore contingent of fans looking to fault-find as much. It seems to be a small group of persistently dissatisfied people (whom I suspect are largely comprised of those unable to part with CPJ and/or his offensive scheme). Sure, both Gailey and Johnson endured dissatisfaction when their teams endured losses, but I've never seen somebody get hit with so much negativism as CGC before he even started.

This isn't really true. When CCG was brought in we were told he would be a great recruiter because of his NFL background and that top players would all want to play for the NFL guy running a NFL scheme. There was also some hype about scheme because of what Chan did with Slash up in Pittsburgh; but primarily we were going to get better recruits than we had gotten under the prior regime because of Chan's NFL creed and contacts.

Somebody gripes about outside coaches because 'they won't understand the challenges unique to Tech'. So then you bring in Tech people, and it's something else to be found wrong. The chronic fault-finding and negativism serves no 'reasonable' purpose.

We seem to talking more about assistant coaches and names further down the staff than I remember in the past. People remember Ralph Friedgen because of his offense; but I honestly could not tell you who the Wide Receiver coach or Running Backs coach was when he was here; much less his TE coach. Same goes for John Tenuta, I can't remember at all who the DL coach was for him although he must have been the real key to Tenuta's success. How many of us remember who the co-OL coach with Sewak was? My point of this is that I think we've created our own monster of sorts for scrutinizing lower level coaches. When a particularly position group consistently underperforms, that's when I think that position coach is fair game. I agree with you though that chronic negativism of damned if they from outside, damned if they are Tech people serves no purpose.

You're talking about a couple of gods in Miami sports legend. I think Marino's jersey is still the best selling Dolphins jersey going, and a lot of those kids moms and dads probably have old #13 hanging in their closets.
Better than Ray Finkle?

Can he coach? The question isn’t can he coach, the question is, did he learn from his past coaches? Coaching is learning then telling others what you have learned and even showing them how to do what your trying to get them to do. It’s teaching 101! I would suspect he has picked up some good points along his road and should do very well in this career. If he really cares about the kids, and they can see it in him, ( kids can spot a fake a mile away) they will listen to what he says and be willing to fight to the end for him. I firmly believe that is why Dabo has done so well in tiger land. I hope that’s the attitude all these new coaches Bring to Georgia Tech. Kids are not going to flock to Tech because we have great uniforms or that adidas is our sponsor, they are not going to come here because we have one of the best engineering programs in the country. They are not going to come here because we’re located in the city of Atlanta. They’re not going to come here because we have a rich history of college football. The reason they are going to want to come to Georgia Tech is because the coaches have established relationships with them, and their parents. These coaches are going to convince these young men that they actually care about them, that they love them, they’ve got their back 100% of the time through thick and thin. And while telling these young men that. These young adults will see, that these men really do care about them, their lives, and their Future. Georgia tech needs to become something special, something different, different than every other coach is promising. Our coaches need to show these young man about coming to Georgia Tech it’s going to be more than what they can do on the field it’s going to be about the relationship now, and for the rest of their lives.

I don't know if he can 'coach' or not, but since some of you millenials apparently fell off the cabbage truck yesterday, you should know this was the baddest dude on our 1990 NC team. He came out of nowhere. How Ohio State missed him up there in Dayton, who knows? But his talent was instantly recognizable. So, I'm going to quit harping on who or where he coached at, and celebrate the fact we've got one of the greatest pros ever back on the Flats.

I don't know if he can 'coach' or not, but since some of you millenials apparently fell off the cabbage truck yesterday, you should know this was the baddest dude on our 1990 NC team. He came out of nowhere. How Ohio State missed him up there in Dayton, who knows? But his talent was instantly recognizable. So, I'm going to quit harping on who or where he coached at, and celebrate the fact we've got one of the greatest pros ever back on the Flats.

Agreed. Jon Gruden thinks he's good enough to help out on an NFL defensive line but a couple StingTalkers are pretty sure that he's not up for filling essentially the same role here.

Back