Maryland loses!

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Northern Illinois 20
Maryland 13 in OT.

Ball kicked up in the air and picked off by NIU to preserve the win. TOTALLY SHOCKING! I had no idea Maryland's NC hopes would be crushed in August. They go to FSU next. Maryland will probably be 0-2. Complete shocker.

Originally posted by gtfan1147:
Northern Illinois 20
Maryland 13 in OT.

Ball kicked up in the air and picked off by NIU to preserve the win. TOTALLY SHOCKING! I had no idea Maryland's NC hopes would be crushed in August. They go to FSU next. Maryland will probably be 0-2. Complete shocker.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I've said on the board before that Merryland would fall off again and I still believe that. Fridge was blessed with a spectacular athlete in Joe Ham at Tech and he got out when the getting was good. Can't wait till our next game scheduled on a Thursday so we can whip 'em like the good ol days.

I wouldn't count Maryland as a "W" just yet. N. Ill. is not a bad team although it is very surprising that they beat Maryland.

Remember N. Ill. beat a pretty good Wake Forest team last year, and Maryland started off horrible last year, only to turn it on about the fourth or fifth game of the year. Maryland could still contend for the ACC.

I agree the Terripin loss is a little bit of a shock, but Northern Illinois is a very good Senior laden football team expected to contend for the MAC title and playing at home.

UM lost 22-0 to Notre Dame to start last season and ended strong. Give them time and the Frisge will have them winning after 3-4 games max. Oh and Non-BCS Teams went 2-0 against the ACC tonight - not a good night for the conference.

Yes, N Illinois is better than people know, but I kept flipping over during the commercials and I wasn't very impressed with Maryland either.

No need to fear the turtle this season - look for UVa and State to pass them by.

Well if Terp fans follow the typical GT fan on this board.. They will ask for Friedgens head.. make a concerted effort to point out anything negative ... and choose NOT to discuss anything positive...

Maybe Tech will have a chance to get Friedgen as head coach after all as I am sure the petition is already circulating in College Park

Originally posted by jacketguy:
Well if Terp fans follow the typical GT fan on this board.. They will ask for Friedgens head..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">There is a big difference between their coach and ours.. Fridge is a proven winner so he has EARNED patience and understanding. Gailey hasn't earned anything that doesn't involve a moving van.

DJ

Not trying to be funny, but Friedgen is going to be in serious health trouble if he doesn't lose some weight. He's always been carrying about 100lbs. too much, but he has ballooned up to the point it looks like he can't walk well. He is going to have a heart attack if someone can't convince him to lose some serious weight.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Not trying to be funny, but Friedgen is going to be in serious health trouble if he doesn't lose some weight. He's always been carrying about 100lbs. too much, but he has ballooned up to the point it looks like he can't walk well. He is going to have a heart attack if someone can't convince him to lose some serious weight.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I know I seem to kid about this, but you hit the nail right on the head.

Games like this happen!

But if I was a betting man, I would
put my money on Ralph getting this
team straightened out.

After seeing us play last night, I am not
so sure that we could have beaten NIU or
Maryland.

Ralph had hip surgery during the summer. I have been told that he coaches from a golf cart during practice. At least, that is what I was told. He has also been advised to lose weight NOW. I, personally, don't believe his team is going to win the conference this year as some do.

AH...

You guys are funny...No one says BYU is a pretty good football team..BUT,they say N.Illinois is..Go Figure...

One thing FOR SURE..The way Maryland played Thursday Night..BYU would have killed them...There is no way they would of stopped BYUs short passing game..I watched bits and pieces of that game AND The Twerps looked very lethargic..One thing FOR SURE..the negative people on this board would have been all over Gailey if we had looked that Lethargic..At least as Wes said:The effort was there for GT !!!!!!!

Concerning RF's weight and health...

I read also about him coaching from a golf cart. In that same article (I think someone here or a the Hive linked it last year) he says he can't stay on a diet and exercise program like he should during the season; he does okay in the off-season, but can't deal with it in-season. Basically he acknowledged he was killing himself and said that football took the priority.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
Yeah, NIU is great. Didn't they upset Bowling Green last year?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">belly,

Not sure about Bowling Green but NIU did beat the Wake Forest team that put on a clinic when they played Tech last year.

Don't shed a tear for Maryland or the Fridge. They stumped their toe the other night but rest assured that the Fridge will correct whatever problems they have. They are not worried about going 0-12. The Fridge would not allow it.

The question was asked in another thread by Oldgoldbee: If you had to choose: Chan or Ralph ... Ralph every single time.

Ralph Friedgen is and will continue to be very successful at MD. I remember GT stumbling to a Furman or two back in the day. Furman was not even Div.1. Beeware you are correct again!

I guess looking at our "previous coaches" and hoping they fail, because it's now the 'positive topic of conversation' as our our own team struggles to stop the backwards spiral started at the end of 2002!

How this tide has changed in just a short time and TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE! Can't afford to wait too long to right this ship ... ACC expansion 2004 and it ONLY GETS TOUGHER!

I'll take a shot here...

I did notice that Maryland's offense was fairly anemic... couldn't have anything to do with that "rising star" they took from us in the off season...

BO'B is already making a difference... Wow such creativity, such innovation... and did you notice how well the Maryland QB performed... looked like one of our own last season... what I wouldn't give to have our team throwing INT's into double coverage to lose the game
tongue.gif

I'll take what we've got... Reggie is going to be good...

AH I have figured out MD's problem they have BOB on thier staff now and he's doing the same to MD as he did to Tech

Back