Mid-Year QB Comparison

The Champ

Dodd-Like
It was a slow-motion train wreck because the potential negative outcome far outweighed the likelihood of something good happening. I would've run a QB draw to try to get the 10 yards over putting a young QB in that position. Momentum was already starting to shift at that point and playing it safe would not have been a bad play there protecting a 17-14 lead going into the half.
Execution was definitely terrible. I like your suggestion of QB draw there as well; actually think we should run a lot more designed runs for Sims where he isn’t making a read. Keeps it simple for him. Super low risk. He’s also probably our best overall runner.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
We were at the 43, so a 10-12 yard out puts us on the edge of FG territory. Normally a throw like that outside the numbers is pretty safe, and you would not expect the corner to squat on aroute 5-7 yards short of the sticks.
Wasn’t a good throw, and poor job by our WR not fighting back through the ball, but the play call seemed sound (would have preferred it going to Carter).
I think our fan base forgot how to evaluate QB play over the past 15 or so years. All due respect to Nesbitt and Thomas, but you gotta evaluate them differently.

Edit: Replied to the wrong post of yours, but you get it

The Champ

Dodd-Like
For some fans comes down to the turnovers. Some fans thinks Yates is less likely to turn the ball over. I think one of our former coaches coined the adage "Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football" and I think he would have felt the same about INTs. Sims definitely has the better physical tools to be the better QB in a couple of years. I hope we have a coaching staff that can coach him up. He could benefit greatly from knowing when to throw it away instead of trying to force a throw that isn't there.
I would agree if it was 1961 1981 or even 2001. But the way that college offenses move the ball in 2021 the game is much more about scoring touchdowns than protecting the ball. Turnovers suck, but punts suck too when your defense can’t stop anyone.

Sims is showing to be much better in year 2 than year 1, hopefully the coaching keeps him progressing into year 3.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
He isn't better at making reads, he's slower through his progressions and doesn't get the ball out on time. He's a good option if we had a better line and better receivers. We don't.
Did I miss where you cited the sack count relative to the # of snaps?

Exactly.
Some of our fans think Yates is good at making reads and managing the game because he runs backwards in the pocket and flails it out of bounds. Never seen a fan base get their dicks so hard over QB throw aways and check downs; and bash the QB that stands in, and steps up in the pocket to make throws downfield.
That's why he has the same completion percentage with fewer turnovers? From throwing it away so much?

QuadF

Dodd-Like
For some fans comes down to the turnovers. Some fans thinks Yates is less likely to turn the ball over. I think one of our former coaches coined the adage "Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football" and I think he would have felt the same about INTs. Sims definitely has the better physical tools to be the better QB in a couple of years. I hope we have a coaching staff that can coach him up. He could benefit greatly from knowing when to throw it away instead of trying to force a throw that isn't there.
Turnovers are a big part of it, but I think Sims' toolset better suits him to rpo and run options yet those are things our ol is really struggling with. The other side is that yates seems to excel at making reads and distributing the ball well despite our ol woes.

I think the criticism is too heavily slanted against yates' work vs Clemson (one of the best def right now). Sims struggled against juggernauts like Niu and Pitt. I'm not saying sims shouldnt start anymore or isn't the better qb, I'm just saying that starts aren't correlating to on-field performance and a coach who is afraid to pull a starter who is struggling is clearly showing that it's not competition that's king.

TechRush

Dodd-Like
Neither QB is lighting the college football world on fire. One is obviously the future at the position, warts and all, while the other is not.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Turnovers are a big part of it, but I think Sims' toolset better suits him to rpo and run options yet those are things our ol is really struggling with. The other side is that yates seems to excel at making reads and distributing the ball well despite our ol woes.

I think the criticism is too heavily slanted against yates' work vs Clemson (one of the best def right now). Sims struggled against juggernauts like Niu and Pitt. I'm not saying sims shouldnt start anymore or isn't the better qb, I'm just saying that starts aren't correlating to on-field performance and a coach who is afraid to pull a starter who is struggling is clearly showing that it's not competition that's king.
"Struggled" might be too strong of a word to use for the Pitt game. You have the 2 tipped pass picks but the rest was a decent performance, stats very similar to Pickett in the end.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
"Struggled" might be too strong of a word to use for the Pitt game. You have the 2 tipped pass picks but the rest was a decent performance, stats very similar to Pickett in the end.
That's fair. I might be too harsh on that. He certainly did recover most of his composure, but I thought I noticed a change in how he read the field and avoided the middle after those picks.

(Not that I blame him solely for that loss... It was a team effort)

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
That's fair. I might be too harsh on that. He certainly did recover most of his composure, but I thought I noticed a change in how he read the field and avoided the middle after those picks.

(Not that I blame him solely for that loss... It was a team effort)
I wasn't able to watch much of the Duke game, did we avoid passes to the middle then as well?

The Champ

Dodd-Like
I wasn't able to watch much of the Duke game, did we avoid passes to the middle then as well?
Don’t think we ever really throw over the middle. Hard to when your interior OL is Swiss cheese and you don’t have a capable tight end.

Both QBs tend to throw outside the numbers. Sims is able to push downfield more often because he stays in the pocket longer and has a stronger arm

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Did I miss where you cited the sack count relative to the # of snaps?

That's why he has the same completion percentage with fewer turnovers? From throwing it away so much?
Throw aways arent the mark of a good QB; situationally they can make since, but a dependency on them isn’t a good sign.
Sometimes you have have to stand in there, keep your eyes down field, step up and try to make a tough throw.

The result is that you turn it over more but you also score more, move the ball, get more first downs, and punt less. If you never try to make a tough throw, you won’t throw many INTs.

We went 6 straight quarters of ACC play without scoring a TD; and went 3or4 and and out 10 times.

Since we switchedQBs we have 12 TDs and 10 3or4 and outs in 10 quarters vs acc play.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Volume is pretty close; though competition has been different:

Sims
50-80 Passing; 791 Yards; 6 TDs; 4 INTs; 9.9 YPA; 63% Completion
38 rushes for 255 Rushing; 4 TDs; 6.7 YPC

Yates
52-81 Passing; 613 Yards; 5 TDs; 1 INT; 7.5 YPA; 64% Completion
35 rushes for 43 Rushing Yards; 1 TD; 1.2 YPC
Boxscore scouts are the worst.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
I caught the radio and condensed game, so i don't have a good answer for you yet. Sorry.

QuadF

Dodd-Like
Throw aways arent the mark of a good QB; situationally they can make since, but a dependency on them isn’t a good sign.
Sometimes you have have to stand in there, keep your eyes down field, step up and try to make a tough throw.

The result is that you turn it over more but you also score more, move the ball, get more first downs, and punt less. If you never try to make a tough throw, you won’t throw many INTs.

We went 6 straight quarters of ACC play without scoring a TD; and went 3or4 and and out 10 times.

Since we switchedQBs we have 12 TDs and 10 3or4 and outs in 10 quarters vs acc play.
Agreed on throwaways; i was just pointing out that focusing on them for Yates doesn't explain why his completion % is identical to Sims'.

Clemson has the 2nd best scoring defense in the league right now, so i think that focusing too much on that game is going to produce skewed result sets. UGA (sitting at #1) didn't even score an offensive TD on them.

Also, i think that you really need to add turnovers to those comparisons to make them more complete.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
On his 2nd INT yesterday I was pissed we even threw it. It was 3rd and 17 and the chances of something good happening there were slim. I thought we should've just run a draw or screen and punted and forced Duke to go 90 yds in a minute. Instead we threw and got the INT. I think that decision was poor all around (execution and coaching). Luckily it didn't lead to points for Duke, but we should still be protecting the young QB in that scenario and we didn't.
I didn't mind throwing it there, but in that case, I woud've thrown the deep ball. Assuming Jeff doesn't get sacked immediately and can at least get a throw off, here are 4 possible outcomes:
-incomplete
-catch
-defensive PI
-interception

In that case incomplete leads to a punt, deep INT is basically a punt, and barring a return on either, Duke would've had to drive the field. The other two options are good outcomes, so 50/50 shot at a good outcome by throwing the deep ball. And this is where Jeff needs to learn to look the safety off toward whichever receiver is running the stick route, then air it out deep.

05GTCorndog

Staff member
I didn't mind throwing it there, but in that case, I woud've thrown the deep ball. Assuming Jeff doesn't get sacked immediately and can at least get a throw off, here are 4 possible outcomes:
-incomplete
-catch
-defensive PI
-interception

In that case incomplete leads to a punt, deep INT is basically a punt, and barring a return on either, Duke would've had to drive the field. The other two options are good outcomes, so 50/50 shot at a good outcome by throwing the deep ball. And this is where Jeff needs to learn to look the safety off toward whichever receiver is running the stick route, then air it out deep.
50/50 shot? Only if you assign equal probablility to those outcomes.

Stats fail, bruh.