Mike Leach to Miss State

Don’t think MSU gets any special dispensation from NCAA about those do they?

Yes, they do. Artificial noise makers are banned from stadiums, except MSU. Try walking into Bobby Dodd with a cowbell and see what happens.

They can ring them until the ball is put down ready for play and then they come on the jumbo Tron and tell the fans to silence the bell.

Of course why not? The guy got fired at Texas Tech, was unemployable for years, and finally got a job at one of the worst P5 programs. We'd be a major step up no matter how you slice it.

His unemployableness was due to some BS surrounding Adam James and a conspiracy to elevate Craig James to the Senate in Texas and the TTU not wanting to pay out his contract. Regardless, once CPJ retired, ALL I wanted was CML at Georgia Tech, but at this point, it seems clear ADTS made the correct choice. I don't think Mike Leach takes advantage of the 404 like CGC and I get the feeling he doesn't recruit on the same level. Maybe it's different in 5 years, but I'm very happy with CGC and I'm stoked to see what CML does at MSU... I just wish he was in the SEC East.

His unemployableness was due to some BS surrounding Adam James and a conspiracy to elevate Craig James to the Senate in Texas and the TTU not wanting to pay out his contract. Regardless, once CPJ retired, ALL I wanted was CML at Georgia Tech, but at this point, it seems clear ADTS made the correct choice. I don't think Mike Leach takes advantage of the 404 like CGC and I get the feeling he doesn't recruit on the same level. Maybe it's different in 5 years, but I'm very happy with CGC and I'm stoked to see what CML does at MSU... I just wish he was in the SEC East.
That's all true and I wouldn't have minded him getting hired here.

TBH, though, I don't think the big money Tech people would put up with his schtick. I don't think he's just flippant with reporters... and when somebody is giving millions to your program, he's gonna want to be treated with some respect. Not sure if Leach is good at that or not.

TBH, though, I don't think the big money Tech people would put up with his schtick. I don't think he's just flippant with reporters... and when somebody is giving millions to your program, he's gonna want to be treated with some respect. Not sure if Leach is good at that or not.
Well, to be completely truthful, that was part of Paul Johnson's problem at GT and why he struggled to get some of the major donors to want to ante up while he was here. Sometimes PJ was a bit too flippant or a bit too truthful and other times, a bit too "just don't give a damn what you think".

If you thought last years passing game was a öööö show imagine what year 1 under Leach would have looked like passing on every down.

Well, to be completely truthful, that was part of Paul Johnson's problem at GT and why he struggled to get some of the major donors to want to ante up while he was here. Sometimes PJ was a bit too flippant or a bit too truthful and other times, a bit too "just don't give a damn what you think".
You may be right, though I think a lot of people liked the fact that CPJ had an unvarnished authenticity about himself. He often eschewed "coach speak." Leach is, like, just wacky. Makes for a great presser, but probably not a great fundraising pitch.

It seems clear? Ah, a true believer.

Leach would be a really interesting OC at a program at the top or in the hunt to get there. Have a guy who handles the human aspects of connecting to people, recruiting, building and managing a roster, focused more on the defense personally, and good at PR. Like CPJ, I don't see the limits of Leach's success being because of inherent limitations in his system.

Yes I'm aware that Leach ain't gonna be anyone's OC.

Yes I'm aware that the foil to him which I described was CGC.

Back