Mike Leach to Miss State

Amarillo is not on I-10.

I’ve spent a couple of eternities in Lubbock in the 90’s. All I remember is heat, a sledge hammer, a fence, and an apartment full of blonds.

And heat.
You’re right. I-40. Still the middle of nowhere. We got caught in a dust storm on I-40 at night. All of a sudden the semi in front of us disappeared and then our RV rocked violently to the left. The winds caught the awning and pulled it all the way out and ripped a vent cover off the roof.

He’s going to piss a lot of people off is my prediction.

also, having been to Amarillo, which is actually on I-10 and you have to hitch off of it to get to Lubbock, I can promise you that Lubbock is middle of nowhere. There wasn’t a damned thing near Amarillo but sand, cactus, and rattlesnake holes.

Gotta take 61 to 23, at least that’s the route Coach Taylor told the pirate to take

With Peterson retiring, and Leach leaving, the state of WA won’t be much relevant in the PAC-12. Oh, wait.

Good hire for them. I doubt he's going to regularly have them finishing top 3 in that division, but he should have them competitive, with the potential for a top 10-15 season every 4-5 years.

I'm a little surprised he took it, though. His whole career has been out west.

Except when he was at Valdosta St. and Kentucky. He also wanted to coach at Key West High school at one point

Last edited:
Amarillo is not on I-10.

I’ve spent a couple of eternities in Lubbock in the 90’s. All I remember is heat, a sledge hammer, a fence, and an apartment full of blonds.

And heat.
Drove through Amarillo - home of the famous pro-wrestling family of the Funks (Dory, Terry, etc) - on my way from San Francisco to Atlanta in December 1993. It was cold. But there was this beat up shed with one word over the door - C H I L L I. So I stopped and had some. Best chili I have ever had and its not even close.

Thinking about it a little more, I'm not sure Tech fans could cope with Leach not only going shotgun on 4th and inches, but passing on 4th and inches.

Drove through Amarillo - home of the famous pro-wrestling family of the Funks (Dory, Terry, etc) - on my way from San Francisco to Atlanta in December 1993. It was cold. But there was this beat up shed with one word over the door - C H I L L I. So I stopped and had some. Best chili I have ever had and its not even close.
CSB but I bought a Jeep from a fraternity brother for $1 back in November 2014. I got to keep it for 3 years until his son turned 16 and then he wanted to buy it back for the same $1. The catch was the jeep was in Bakersfield, CA.

I'd always wanted to do a coast-to-coast drive so I flew out to LA, bought the Jeep and begin a week-long trek back across the country. On the 3rd day, driving across New Mexico after leaving Albuquerque, the wind became so bad that I pulled over for a bit because even a 1970's Cadillac had pulled over. I figured if that land barge was struggling, it explained why I was being pushed back & forth in the much taller Jeep. So when I got to Amarillo, I said "screw it...I'm done for the day" and got myself a hotel room to ride out the wind.

The primary thing I remember about Amarillo? You could smell cowshit everywhere you went. I don't know how big their stock yards are there, but they must be significant because it was quite an ever-present smell.

Back