Monken/Vandy

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Well, to be fair:

1) He did beat Georgia a couple times. I was 7 years old but I was there to see the 1994 game.

2) Everything about the game was different at that point. Now, maybe the weaker SEC put them more on par with Vandy, rather than Vandy also being worse, but they were creeping around bowl eligibility with him there.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure that Monken is a Dinardo, and I don't think that experiment would last more than 3-4 years.
will there even be college football in 3 or 4 years?

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Vandy is a career killer. Franklin is the only one who moved up to a better position. Mason was a hot assistant coach at Stanford before he arrived at Vandy.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
That’s what I was saying. He wouldn’t have the luxury of a stacked defense and Nesbitt/Dwyer/Jones/Bebe.
He took multiple top 10 teams to OT won other OOC games against P5 and had Army ranked multiple times. I don’t think he needs those athletes and I think he’s a better recruiter than Johnson. He also is better in front of cameras and in the locker room. He would be the next one to bring a successful modern option offense to P5. I would have loved for us to buy in to it and him, but I like rooting for unique things.

eg1

Dodd-Like
With the refined blocking rules, is the option still viable for FBS?
As was pointed out in another thread, the old Wishbone option teams didn't prioritize "get defenders on the ground" so presumably the answer is yes?

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
As was pointed out in another thread, the old Wishbone option teams didn't prioritize "get defenders on the ground" so presumably the answer is yes?
It can because anything can work with the right talent but as we saw if you can’t recruit well enough it will be more difficult. That’s obviously not just true of the option but today it’s really hard to get kids interested in signing on if they have other options. It did seem to me that the number of big plays we were able to break trended down as the blocking rules tightened up but that may be my imagination. If true though it puts more of a premium on being clean on assignments so you don’t get behind the chains due to penalties or losses.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Dude's seat went from zero to molten in the span of four games. I don't think I've ever heard a single Penn State fan gripe about their coach until this year.

Well unless you are 65+ there have only been 3 in your living memory not counting the interim guy, kind of cuts down on the opportunities

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Once upon a time Bear ran the Wishbone at Bama and beat the öööö out of people.
I don't remember Bear ever running the 30 at Bama. Link? They certainly weren't known for it like Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska were. Some of those teams won Nattys running it.

Edit: looks like Bama did try it about the same period Pepper brought it to Tech.

Last edited: