Monken/Vandy

Your memory is failing. Bama was 11-1 in 73 and in 74, only losing to the Drunken Irish in bowl games both years by a total of three points. The 73 game was an all-time classic that I still remember watching on TV, and I was at the Jan 1, 1975 Orange Bowl where they lost to the Irish and lost another national championship. Alabama was the UPI Champ in 73 running the wishbone, the 78 team was the AP Champ running the wishbone, and the undefeated 79 team was consensus national champ running the 'bone.

Here is a video of the undefeated 79 team running it against Miami.

Whatever happened to Kehoe after his stroke?

Flat-out? Naw. Kids might prefer to play in a different offense but that's just one factor in where the play college ball. It is simply inexcusable in Atlanta to not be able to recruit better than Paul did.
Yeah, looking back I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I really think it was a mistake not to hire assistants who were strong recruiters since it was obviously not his forte. The unbelievable lack of support at the administrative level didn’t help, either.

Also, ironically, I think someone like Collins would be able to recruit to the option. He seems to recruit kids well on a personal level, so I think plenty of kids would be drawn to that type of environment and culture and a highly successful program.

Yeah, looking back I think this is a pretty fair assessment. I really think it was a mistake not to hire assistants who were strong recruiters since it was obviously not his forte. The unbelievable lack of support at the administrative level didn’t help, either.

Also, ironically, I think someone like Collins would be able to recruit to the option. He seems to recruit kids well on a personal level, so I think plenty of kids would be drawn to that type of environment and culture and a highly successful program.

I think a strong recruiter could have done marginally better on the defensive side. Actually, McCollum did a pretty good job there as it was. On offense, it's just too hard to sell, IMO.

I think a strong recruiter could have done marginally better on the defensive side. Actually, McCollum did a pretty good job there as it was. On offense, it's just too hard to sell, IMO.

I think you could sell it at a place that's already a factory, but of course those schools don't have any incentive to take a chance on the option to begin with.

If Kansas could lure Monken or another good TO coach to Lawrence, that would be a great hire imo. IIRC Oklahoma has struggled a bit in limited exposure against it, and Big 12 defenses are incredibly soft and undisciplined in general.

If Kansas could lure Monken or another good TO coach to Lawrence, that would be a great hire imo. IIRC Oklahoma has struggled a bit in limited exposure against it, and Big 12 defenses are incredibly soft and undisciplined in general.
Interesting take, and like Vandy what do they really have to lose?

Your memory is failing. Bama was 11-1 in 73 and in 74, only losing to the Drunken Irish in bowl games both years by a total of three points. The 73 game was an all-time classic that I still remember watching on TV, and I was at the Jan 1, 1975 Orange Bowl where they lost to the Irish and lost another national championship. Alabama was the UPI Champ in 73 running the wishbone, the 78 team was the AP Champ running the wishbone, and the undefeated 79 team was consensus national champ running the 'bone.

Here is a video of the undefeated 79 team running it against Miami.

Yes my memory is failing. It was not a happy decade in Bama despite their success. As you stated they lost 2 natty championships after going in ranked #1 to ND and lost 4 bowl games in a row. The 78 title is tarnished due to the whipping they took at home by USC, which was the pivotal game in Bear accepting that he had to recruit more black players to remain competitive.

But you are right, they did run it and were contenders while doing so. The option was very successful back in that era of football. I don't think it ever will be again because now the game is dominated by black players and they want a clear path to the NFL which will always favor the skilled passing game over the 3O and has already embraced the read option as the prototype for the run game.

Last edited:
I loved CPJ and the fire he brought to GT. But that fire went away. And his genius status grew into a mirage because his own ego wouldn’t allow him to innovate. He’d still be our coach if he allowed his offense to evolve like his gut told him to do with Vad Lee. But he quickly went back into his shell. That‘s the one thing I’d ask him if I could ever sit down with him. I’d love to see him as an OC at a top 15 type program. I have no doubt he could scheme the RPO from shotgun to a high level success. It won’t happen but he‘d be successful at it.

I loved CPJ and the fire he brought to GT. But that fire went away. And his genius status grew into a mirage because his own ego wouldn’t allow him to innovate. He’d still be our coach if he allowed his offense to evolve like his gut told him to do with Vad Lee. But he quickly went back into his shell. That‘s the one thing I’d ask him if I could ever sit down with him. I’d love to see him as an OC at a top 15 type program. I have no doubt he could scheme the RPO from shotgun to a high level success. It won’t happen but he‘d be successful at it.
Wow. Great post.

Wow. Great post.

I'd agree with that assessment. He had no problems utilizing the run and shoot inside of the triple option in the early days, so it's not like he hasn't made changes to his system before. Oh well, what might have been.

I know the current OC at Southern uses some RPO inside the triple option. There's a fair amount of teams who run other offenses but use triple option concepts in it, but if it's vice versa it becomes "that offense" or "high school offense". Interesting how that is.

Every offense is a triple option or quadruple option in that a read has to be made to get the ball to the man most open. Right now, the “in” thing is running it from shotgun along with the each teams version of a hurry up. This current “in” system will be morphed at some point and kids not yet born will watch highlights perplexed like kids of today watch highlights from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

What I can‘t wait to see in about 20 or so years is when a young coach is lauded because of his success with multiple running backs and a quick minded QB who can utilize some misdirection. Of course, I believe that college football as we all have known it is near the end. Between the safety concerns which entail lawsuits and the paying of players I think we’ll see many schools drop the sport. Not many programs bring in enough money to beat back those who want it to end. The shutdowns have shown that society can go on without high school football in a large percentage of this country. It’s just a matter of time until it’s over.

Every offense is a triple option or quadruple option in that a read has to be made to get the ball to the man most open. Right now, the “in” thing is running it from shotgun along with the each teams version of a hurry up. This current “in” system will be morphed at some point and kids not yet born will watch highlights perplexed like kids of today watch highlights from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

What I can‘t wait to see in about 20 or so years is when a young coach is lauded because of his success with multiple running backs and a quick minded QB who can utilize some misdirection. Of course, I believe that college football as we all have known it is near the end. Between the safety concerns which entail lawsuits and the paying of players I think we’ll see many schools drop the sport. Not many programs bring in enough money to beat back those who want it to end. The shutdowns have shown that society can go on without high school football in a large percentage of this country. It’s just a matter of time until it’s over.

Are you familiar with Brennan Marion's "GoGo" offense? If not, here's a LINK that explains it. It utilizes mutiple backs, lots of misdirection, heavy doses of triple option out of shotgun. I would not call it triple option, though. He's currently a WR coach at Hawaii, but watching highlights of his offense at previous stops was fascinating. Won't be long before he's the OC there. Somehow, Hawaii seems to get interesting offenses fairly regularly too.
With as much money that NCAA makes, it'll be a minute before it trickles down and halts a good number of programs, but I do agree with you. Student loan crisis on top of lost revenue from ticket sales is really just the beginning. Not mention a revolution brewing as far as online learning vs in school learning.

I would LOVE to see TO at Vandy.Really, what have they got to lose? Even if a"normal" coach is successful there ,they get poached away.

Back