Moon Crew on Runnin' up the Score

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Not really. FSU has the same # of wins vs. Clemson as us since 2008 (5), and their last win was 2014 - also the same as us. The last two games have been 59-10 and 45-14, and this year will likely be even worse.
I guess so. I thought they won in 2015. Doesn’t matter though, Clemson has out paced everyone. And not just in our league.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
One of the dumbest posts ever made here. CPJ beat Clemson five times (including ACC Championship game in Tampa which I attended and really enjoyed), won ACC in second season, two Orange Bowl appearances, winning one , , , but you prefer a guy whom Clemson has now absolutely waxed twice and just lost 73-7. Closet UGAG fan?
Well you just made a good point even though you didn't mean to and it goes against your narrative. We don't have to pick a coach who we prefer right now. It's ok to not know and give the guy a chance to see what he can really build. Obviously you've already made your mind up and nothing is going to fix that. Who sounds like the dwag fan now.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Well you just made a good point even though you didn't mean to and it goes against your narrative. We don't have to pick a coach who we prefer right now. It's ok to not know and give the guy a chance to see what he can really build. Obviously you've already made your mind up and nothing is going to fix that. Who sounds like the dwag fan now.
Don't feed the troll

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think its bizarro world to go for it twice on fourth down when you're up by 50+ points. I'm not angry at Dabo or Clemson and they're still the only other team in the ACC that I kinda like, but I do think this was poor sportsmanship.
I agree. But Collins needs to get his öööö together. It’s clear we were not ready to play against Citadel, Syracuse or Clemson.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
Well, other than being 100% wrong in all of your assumptions, that was a fine post. I am perfectly willing to "give the guy a chance to see what he can really build." Not five years like some of you losers. Three should be enough to figure it out, but if things are trending in the right direction after three, then, OK, four. I haven't made my mind up about CGC. I hope he succeeds. Of course I do! If he fails, the Jackets fail. I'm not optimistic from what I have seen so far, but I'm not calling for anyone to fire him yet or declaring him a definite bust. Meanwhile, the person to whose post I responded s the one who has "picked a coach who he prefers right now" and whose mind has obviously been made up for a long time, fueled apparently by nothing but hatred, as he posts on this thread about . . . "the CPJ and high school offense lovers." Yeah, I loved two OB appearances, one OB win, five victories over Clemson, four first place finishes in the Coastal division. CPJ did all that. I hope CGC does even better.

Try harder next time.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
You could say the present performance of the Collins staff was to be expected, or else he would not have received a seven year deal. I can only imagine the conversation was along the lines of "rebuilding will be long and painful, therefore I won't take the job without 7 year commitment". But I wasn't there.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
Well, other than being 100% wrong in all of your assumptions, that was a fine post. I am perfectly willing to "give the guy a chance to see what he can really build." Not five years like some of you losers. Three should be enough to figure it out, but if things are trending in the right direction after three, then, OK, four. I haven't made my mind up about CGC. I hope he succeeds. Of course I do! If he fails, the Jackets fail. I'm not optimistic from what I have seen so far, but I'm not calling for anyone to fire him yet or declaring him a definite bust. Meanwhile, the person to whose post I responded s the one who has "picked a coach who he prefers right now" and whose mind has obviously been made up for a long time, fueled apparently by nothing but hatred, as he posts on this thread about . . . "the CPJ and high school offense lovers." Yeah, I loved two OB appearances, one OB win, five victories over Clemson, four first place finishes in the Coastal division. CPJ did all that. I hope CGC does even better.

Try harder next time.
But you have to concede the Clempsen we beat five times was NOT the Clempsen of the past five years. Our decline seemed to coincide with Clempsen's improvement.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
An arms raced kicked off in CFB about 10 years ago. Clemson decided to play the game. Tech didn't. So, we're having to play catch-up now. That's what makes Clemson today different than Clemson 5-10 years ago. The discrepancy between facilities, support staff, coaching, weight training, nutrition, etc. is far greater than ever before. Bama was paying a strength coach over $1M per year, I think. That's crazy. They paid former NFL and CFB head coaches or coordinators to sit around and scheme opponents for them. Playing catch-up is a large struggle within our "greatest transition ever" more so than an easy roster turnover, imo.

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
An arms raced kicked off in CFB about 10 years ago. Clemson decided to play the game. Tech didn't. So, we're having to play catch-up now. That's what makes Clemson today different than Clemson 5-10 years ago. The discrepancy between facilities, support staff, coaching, weight training, nutrition, etc. is far greater than ever before. Bama was paying a strength coach over $1M per year, I think. That's crazy. They paid former NFL and CFB head coaches or coordinators to sit around and scheme opponents for them. Playing catch-up is a large struggle within our "greatest transition ever" more so than an easy roster turnover, imo.
Financially, Tech CAN’T play the same game as Clemson or Bama or U[sic]GA even if we wanted to. We’re already out of that arms race.

We tried the “do something radically different” approach with CPJ, and it worked (2014) until it didn’t anymore. Doesn’t mean a radically different approach can’t work, but it does indicate that CPJ’s approach to recruiting and personnel wasn’t working by the end.

I hope we can get back to O’Leary levels where we’re usually competitive and sometimes the stars align, but even O’Leary could never get over the hump of FSU in their prime. It’s gonna be hard for us to go toe to toe with the big spenders in recruiting and on the field. We can get better than we are now by maximizing our capabilities, but it’s more likely that Clemson will eventually come back down to our level in a few years than us getting up to theirs.

JRjr

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
But you have to concede the Clempsen we beat five times was NOT the Clempsen of the past five years. Our decline seemed to coincide with Clempsen's improvement.
The Clemson of 09 was pretty good — CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford and a D line with Brandon Thompson and DaQuan Bowers and we couldn't block either one of them.
This Clemson, though, has a marked improvement in a couple of areas — quarterback (we and everyone else has had to go through Watson and Trevor Lawrence), depth and D coordinator. Swinney hit the jackpot when he got Venables after Kevin Steele left. Or was asked to leave.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Financially, Tech CAN’T play the same game as Clemson or Bama or U[sic]GA even if we wanted to. We’re already out of that arms race.

We tried the “do something radically different” approach with CPJ, and it worked (2014) until it didn’t anymore. Doesn’t mean a radically different approach can’t work, but it does indicate that CPJ’s approach to recruiting and personnel wasn’t working by the end.

I hope we can get back to O’Leary levels where we’re usually competitive and sometimes the stars align, but even O’Leary could never get over the hump of FSU in their prime. It’s gonna be hard for us to go toe to toe with the big spenders in recruiting and on the field. We can get better than we are now by maximizing our capabilities, but it’s more likely that Clemson will eventually come back down to our level in a few years than us getting up to theirs.

JRjr
1. I saw this, maybe on 247sports, a few months ago. The No. 10 team in recruiting budget was LSU, at about $1.2 million a year.
No. 1 was Georgia. They spent $2.4 million a year in recruiting. Think about that — of the 130 and change FBS teams, the biggest recruiting budget is double that of the team with the 10th biggest recruiting budget.
2. 2016 wasn't bad, either. 9 wins. Kicked Georgia in the jimmies again in the final minute. Stuck it up Stoops' ass in Jacksonville.
17 and 18 ... who knows how 17 turns out if we beat Tennessee. But, we didn't, so ....
18 was ... meh. Had a great run after a miserable start. Running into the Georgia buzzsaw was at the end was bad. Maybe we should have gotten into second and 26. Apparently, they couldn't defend that. And Minnesota had a really good team in the bowl game. Still, if Taquon sees Cottrell wide f'in open on the wheel route on the first series ... we probably still get the s--- kicked out of us. But it wouldn't have looked as bad.
PJ left this crew some really good young players — Jordan Mason, Malachi Carter, Domineck, Dingle, Kaleb Oliver, Juanyeh, Tariq, Quez Jackson, Jaquan Henderson (who didn't stay and might have been the fastest guy on the team, per PJ), Askew, Jerry Howard, the Swillings, Adonicas Sanders, Dontae Smith, Zamari Walton, Jaylon King, Charlie Thomas and Cooper, Lee and Quinney, not to mention the kids of the 19 class who had committed to PJ, guys like Chico Bennett, Demetrius Knight, Jordan Yates, Jordan Huff.
And let's not forget Tobias Oliver. Not a bad group. Plus, PJ pushed very hard for more assets in recruiting and in the recruiting office. He was only starting to get those when he hit the cart path for good.
3. My fear is if Clemson does start to cycle down, will FSU and Miami then start to re-ascend? Norvell has had to undo the damage of a coach who checked out (Jimbo) and one who never checked in (Taggart).

NEJacket1

Varsity Lurker
this azzwhipping was a result of Dabo's dislike of CGC. For those that think we can return this favor, pull your head out yo azz. Clemson will never be this bad.

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
One of the dumbest posts ever made here. CPJ beat Clemson five times (including ACC Championship game in Tampa which I attended and really enjoyed), won ACC in second season, two Orange Bowl appearances, winning one , , , but you prefer a guy whom Clemson has now absolutely waxed twice and just lost 73-7. Closet UGAG fan?
We all look back fondly on the good times that we had with PJ but he was well on his way to getting waxed on a regular basis also.