Moon Crew on Runnin' up the Score

Time to put this öööö to bed. Here's a comparison for you. Would you rather:

A)Have 70 hung on you by the #1 team when you are in year 2 of a complete rebuild, and you're just essentially going through the motions in the 2nd half?

-or-

B)Have 70 hung on you by the #23 team in the Orange bowl when you are ranked #15 and you're trying the entire game?

Because "B" is exactly what happened to Clemson in 2012 with 22 future NFL players on the roster including Sammy Watkins, Andre Ellington, DeAndre Hopkins, Vic Beasley, and Grady Jarret.
I guess I would rather lose the Orange Bowl...? Since that means that you're in the Orange Bowl.

With over 20 future NFL players on the roster you should be in the Orange Bowl. I look forward to having that number of future NFL players on our roster. Best case we have a half a dozen on offense now. Clayton is the only one I see on defense. Harvin should be a lock. Some of the young players on both sides have potential.

I guess I would rather lose the Orange Bowl...? Since that means that you're in the Orange Bowl.
I'm for A and B both if we end up with a championship on the back end and/or beat the gaggers on a regular basis!

I think everyone knows that was before Clemson starting really bring in the top 5 classes year in and year out. CPJ was never going to beat Clemson or Georgia again and he knew it too.

I would say that if the NCAA had not made those blocking rule changes that made the Flexbone Offense less effective, then Johnson may have still won 20-30% against those two if he had remained.

I would say that if the NCAA had not made those blocking rule changes that made the Flexbone Offense less effective, then Johnson may have still won 20-30% against those two if he had remained.
In the last five years of his tenure CPJ went 2-3 against UGA. That's 0.400 and better than our average against them over the past 110 years.

In the last five years of his tenure CPJ went 2-3 against UGA. That's 0.400 and better than our average against them over the past 110 years.
Why not include all his years? It's easy to manipulate numbers. So O'leary is our best coach ever with those parameters.

"the score just looked closer" = the score was actually closer

Slowing the game down against a stronger opponent is just rudimentary good clock management that you'll find in any sport. Obviously it wouldn't have had an effect on the outcome in this case because we played so very, very badly. But if we'd played our best, it could've been an important part of a strategy to keep us in the game and give us a puncher's chance at the end.

Very much agree. I don’t think our run game stood much of a chance against that DL though. We would’ve needed to get pretty creative. Something Patenaude hasn’t shown an ability to do yet.

Different kind of threat that was eventually neutralized and therefore not really a threat any longer.
One of the dumbest posts ever made here. CPJ beat Clemson five times (including ACC Championship game in Tampa which I attended and really enjoyed), won ACC in second season, two Orange Bowl appearances, winning one , , , but you prefer a guy whom Clemson has now absolutely waxed twice and just lost 73-7. Closet UGAG fan?

Why not include all his years? It's easy to manipulate numbers. So O'leary is our best coach ever with those parameters.
That's cool. CPJ's win rate against UGA (3-8, .270) was woefully inadequate, and I'm totally cool with firing coaches based on that metric.

But the narrative is usually that CPJ was trending down, and his first six years against UGA (1-5, .167) were worse than his final five (2-3, 0.400).

And O'Leary might've been our best coach, at least in the past 50 years...

Last edited:
Maybe we're talking about different rule changes, but the main rule change affecting downfield cut blocks would've only affected CPJ's final year (2018).
I thought there was another pretty significant one in 2015-2016. Something affecting the OL.

One of the dumbest posts ever made here. CPJ beat Clemson five times (including ACC Championship game in Tampa which I attended and really enjoyed), won ACC in second season, two Orange Bowl appearances, winning one , , , but you prefer a guy whom Clemson has now absolutely waxed twice and just lost 73-7. Closet UGAG fan?
CPJ’s last win vs Clemson was 2014. Since then Clemson’s record is 69-5, they have been to 4 national championship games and won 2 of them. They also Have won 34 consecutive conference games.

Also... did CPJ ever have to deal with a “COVID” like yea during his tenure? Where there was no spring practice nor off season workouts.

That's cool. CPJ's win rate against UGA (3-8, .270) was woefully inadequate, and I'm totally cool with firing coaches based on that metric.

But the narrative is usually that CPJ was trending down, and his first six years against UGA (1-5, .167) were worse than his final five (2-3, 0.400).

And O'Leary might've been our best coach, at least in the past 50 years...
The win rate doesn't tell an accurate story, IMO. We were competitive every single year from 2008 to 2016 except once in 2012. In several of those years, we actually had the better team, despite recruiting rankings that would suggest otherwise. In CPJ's last two seasons, we got completely blown out. We had no chance, and it wasn't changing anytime soon. CPJ is probably my favorite coach of all time, but I will readily admit that our trend was flatlined at best, and stagnating at worst. It didn't help that our two biggest rivals were both becoming powerhouses.

Yeah CPJ was essentially the only threat that Dabo’s really seen in the ACC over his tenure. We probably own half the conference losses Clemson has suffered since he took over in ‘08.

FSU held out longer than us, I believe.

CPJ’s last win vs Clemson was 2014. Since then Clemson’s record is 69-5, they have been to 4 national championship games and won 2 of them. They also Have won 34 consecutive conference games.

Also... did CPJ ever have to deal with a “COVID” like yea during his tenure? Where there was no spring practice nor off season workouts.

This is a good point. I imagine the option would look pretty bad without practice reps. Although Army looked OK early on.

FSU held out longer than us, I believe.
Not really. FSU has the same # of wins vs. Clemson as us since 2008 (5), and their last win was 2014 - also the same as us. The last two games have been 59-10 and 45-14, and this year will likely be even worse.

Back