Moon Crew on Runnin' up the Score

It's almost as if when you adopt the same offense as Clemson, and the same defense as Clemson, the only way to beat Clemson is to have better players than Clemson.
The TO was equally as ineffective against them. The score just looked closer because we held the ball until the final second of the snap count and ran it the whole time. Paul Johnson got clobbered his last 4 years against Clemson just like Collins. That’s why he quit. He knew he could no longer compete.

It's almost as if when you adopt the same offense as Clemson, and the same defense as Clemson, the only way to beat Clemson is to have better players than Clemson.
We will get some of the players they want over time. Not all, but some. And that is the threat. We were out of that game for a while and Clemson used our absence to its advantage. All of those high 3 stars that Clemson got early in Dabo’s tenure built what they have now. Those were players we would have competed for and gotten some of them had we been recruiting on the same planet. Those guys built a solid program which led to the 4 and 5 star monster they have now. And they still recruit a lot of those high 3 guys. Clemson looks to suffer most from us being back in the game because of their reliance on Georgia recruits and the fact that they aren’t a big state u like uga or Alabama.

Dabo is doing what is in the best interests of Clemson University. Why in the world would y’all not like him? His job is not to make Georgia Tech or Geoff Collins feel better about themselves. It’s bizarro world when y’all get mad at another coach for winning a game for his team and recruiting good players. I appreciated the butt kicking because that is what sports are about. The only lesson a GT and Collins should take away is not to whine about the meanie team who beat them is to get to work so it doesnt happen again. Right now Boston College is preparing to kick our butts. Are we upset about that or are we hard at work to prevent it? It’s not their fault if they do.

Dabo is doing what is in the best interests of Clemson University. Why in the world would y’all not like him? His job is not to make Georgia Tech or Geoff Collins feel better about themselves. It’s bizarro world when y’all get mad at another coach for winning a game for his team and recruiting good players. I appreciated the butt kicking because that is what sports are about. The only lesson a GT and Collins should take away is not to whine about the meanie team who beat them is to get to work so it doesnt happen again. Right now Boston College is preparing to kick our butts. Are we upset about that or are we hard at work to prevent it? It’s not their fault if they do.

I generally agree, but there were some pretty egregious things he did in that game that were a little beyond just taking someone behind the woodshed. There was a clear message that was intended.

He could have absolutely done the same thing to us last fall in the season opener but he called the dogs off early and beat us 52-14. Something has happened that has Dabo pissed at CGC. And I hope CGC keeps doing it...

This. I think some of us are under some sort of delusion that Dabo, KSmart, Saban, and other coaches are in fear of CGC out recruiting them or in some way posing a threat to their survival. Dabo played pretty much everybody on the roster (did someone not take a snap) and all I hear is whining about the fact we were not being able to keep their pickup assortment of players from making first downs. Clemson's punter had a higher QBR than our starter, how does anyone with any football sense blame Dabo for that? Let me make it plain to you, NO ONE IS AFRAID OF CGC. Is Clemson mocking the 404 thing post game, of course; but it is not like they designed the game plan to give Lawrence exactly 404 yards of passing, it is just funny that is what he left the field with. I don't think Dabo came into the game with some diabolical plan to destroy CGC or make a statement to anyone but the playoff selection committee. We played so poorly and had such a poor game plan that this historic record setting debacle happened. The problem wasn't Dabo being a meany, it wasn't because our roster sucks, it was because our very own coaching staff was not up to the task period. CGC is only in his 4th season as a head coach, I am hopeful he matures into the job; but I think we saw clearly Saturday that there is much more to it than just recruiting and sales promotion.

I don’t follow GT Twitter, let alone other teams, but mocking the 404 stuff felt a little weird to me. I assume Dabo didn’t have anything to do with that. Is official Twitter smack talk a common thing now, or was this an exception?

JRjr

I don’t follow GT Twitter, let alone other teams, but mocking the 404 stuff felt a little weird to me. I assume Dabo didn’t have anything to do with that. Is official Twitter smack talk a common thing now, or was this an exception?

JRjr

We are running around in 404 hats and shirts and even have 404 painted on the field and Lawrence left with 404 yards passing; if you are from outside the program and not butt hurt that is funny. I doubt Dabo had anything to do with the tweet; but I don't know how a Clemson fan could pass that up.

We are running around in 404 hats and shirts and even have 404 painted on the field and Lawrence left with 404 yards passing; if you are from outside the program and not butt hurt that is funny. I doubt Dabo had anything to do with the tweet; but I don't know how a Clemson fan could pass that up.

I’m not butthurt, and it’s a funny coincidence, I’m just not used to seeing mild smack talk through semi-official channels, so I’m curious if that’s common now. Maybe the paranoid folks are getting to me, but it seemed a little more pointed than normal.

JRjr

I am okay with adding some animosity to this series. It's been a bit too classy.

(I still prefer Clemson to the other regular national title contenders so I'll probably still root for them in those games)

I generally agree, but there were some pretty egregious things he did in that game that were a little beyond just taking someone behind the woodshed. There was a clear message that was intended.

He could have absolutely done the same thing to us last fall in the season opener but he called the dogs off early and beat us 52-14. Something has happened that has Dabo pissed at CGC. And I hope CGC keeps doing it...

I think what "happened" had nothing to do with CGC. It probably had to do with the fact that he was going to have to compete with the winner of the Georgia-Alabama game for the #1 spot, and the way to do that was to run up the score.

Whining about somebody running up the score is not a good look. Certainly the team should use it as a motivator next time out, but if we don't want them running up the score we need to do something about that on the field.

A maxim to live by - If you don't want to see it on the scoreboard, DON"T LET IT HAPPEN.

Except for those seven times when it wasn't.

I assume you mean 5 times, 4 of which happened in the first 4 years of an 11 year tenure and the other when their QB was out and we had a lightning in a bottle season. We had lost 4 in a row and none were particularly close. Our different and special offense was only widening the gap between them and us to a point where results like the last two were made possible when we switched offenses. The eyeball test says Clemson was not gonna lose to our TO again, not with the caliber of athletes we were showing up with.

Last edited:
I’m not butthurt, and it’s a funny coincidence, I’m just not used to seeing mild smack talk through semi-official channels, so I’m curious if that’s common now. Maybe the paranoid folks are getting to me, but it seemed a little more pointed than normal.

JRjr

Not so uncommon these days. Wendy's and Burger King dunk on each other all the time on twitter. If you run an account, you gotta get those retweets.

Last edited:
I assume you mean 5 times, 4 of which happened in the first 4 years of an 11 year tenure and the other when their QB was out and we had a lightning in a bottle season. We had lost 4 in a row and none were particularly close. Our different and special offense was only widening the gap between them and us to a point where results like the last two were made possible when we switched offenses. The eyeball test says Clemson was not gonna lose to our TO again, not with the caliber of athletes we were showing up with.

Even the most recent win probably only occurred because Watson ripped his knee up. Thank you Cole Stoudt.

The fact is, there has never been anything as ineffective against one of Dabo's Clemson teams as what we did Saturday.

I knew we'd never been that bad against them, but did we set a record among all teams being that bad against them? Like, even little sisters of the poor teams?

If so, that's truly impressive.

Back