Most Likely Scenario for GT Athletics Future

Most Likely Scenario for GT Future

• Staying in a whole ACC (GOR legal challenges fail and ESPN picks up option)

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Staying in a slightly weakened ACC (FSU & Clemson out)

Votes: 30 16.6%
  • Staying in a significantly weakened ACC (several members gone, replaced with G5 teams)

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • Going to the SEC with a full $ share

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Going to the SEC with a reduced $ share

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Going to the B1G with a full $ share

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Going to the B1G with a reduced $ share

Votes: 22 12.2%
  • Going to the BigXII

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Going to the AAC or some other existing conference

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Part of a new conference

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
What you said for above for #1, is how I feel regarding GT and the sec. There is no value for the sec to bring GT back. Vandy is the true outlier in that league now as it relates to attendance and other fans filling the stands. They are living the dream, until the next form of expansion comes in Promotion / Relegation.

I only think the B1G is an option because of what may or may not be in GT’s favor still (like it was during the rumor) a decade. If not then…..

Like you, I think GT is in whatever the combination of the ACC / B12 merger ends up being. A lot of people think Miami, NCSU, UofL, etc will be in that new ACC / B12 combined league as well. On paper, it’s much better vs the current ACC (considering FSU, Clemson are soon to be gone).

Utah, BYU, Oklahoma State, Arizona, TCU, etc are much better vs Syracuse, UVA, BC, etc.
We are not like Vandy in terms of athletics. Never have been and never will be.

The interest in Tech would grow exponentially if we were in the SEC. Those are our rivals, both historically and geographically. People who are Tech affiliated but not football interested will pay more attention with an SEC schedule. Our fan base will grow. That will all happen with interest, a full stadium, and scarcity of ticket availability.

Sure, we may have to suffer through a few years of growing a fan base and stadiums full of opponents, but it would be a better long term move. We would have more $ to improve our teams and facilities. The biggest thing we need now other than contract money is for tickets to be harder to get. There’s no incentive to buy season tickets now when I can get better seats for any game I want to go to for cheaper on a per game basis.

We are not like Vandy in terms of athletics. Never have been and never will be.

The interest in Tech would grow exponentially if we were in the SEC. Those are our rivals, both historically and geographically. People who are Tech affiliated but not football interested will pay more attention with an SEC schedule. Our fan base will grow. That will all happen with interest, a full stadium, and scarcity of ticket availability.

Sure, we may have to suffer through a few years of growing a fan base and stadiums full of opponents, but it would be a better long term move. We would have more $ to improve our teams and facilities. The biggest thing we need now other than contract money is for tickets to be harder to get. There’s no incentive to buy season tickets now when I can get better seats for any game I want to go to for cheaper on a per game basis.
From a football perspective, you’re right as it relates to GT-Vandy. No comparison. From a hoops & baseball perspective, they have been the better program over the last 10-15 years.

Point was related to Vandy, they are the outlier in the sec as a city team, small fanbase, etc. GT is the same way in that regard.

The elevated interest in Tech by going back to the sec is more hope than anything. The Atlanta metro and state overall are not like Alabama, South Carolina, etc. The state is much more transplant now with fans from other schools around the country.

It’s not that the programs themselves aren’t trying to win at the highest level (the investments are there). But as things continue to evolve, the school itself needs to as well. Once the NCAA and APR are removed, there should no longer be the academic crutch holding GT down. We’ll truly see rather quickly how much the school itself cares about becoming a consistent Top 25 program across all sports.

0.01% chance GT is back in the sec. There is really no interest to bring a school back who left on their own, and is not on the same football level currently as other options (Clemson, FSU). Just reality at this point. Something would really have to change in a hurry from a school perspective for this to happen.

It’s 1 of 2 options.

1. B1G - Fits perfectly from a so called academic perspective (even though academics at this point mean nothing) to go along with a major market with a lot of B1G transplant alums.
2. Combined conference of the remnants of ACC / B12 becoming 1 league.

I think this is right. I think we are going to be on the outside looking in, realistically.

Ideally, the SEC would be best option with out history and rivalries renewed, as well as fan travel being more accessible, which I think would grow because of said rivalries of old being renewed.....The Big10 offers a pile of cash, which we need & newer teams to play, but Tech fans aren't traveling in mass to Ann Arbor, Columbus & Happy Valley. Assuredly not out to the west coast for those teams they added from the defunct Pac12.

My firm belief is we end up in the newly formed Big12 or some revised and less formidable version of the ACC.

Shame ESPN and Fox don't want the ACC to survive. Nothing is killing off the ACC other than media rights.

Shame ESPN and Fox don't want the ACC to survive. Nothing is killing off the ACC other than media rights.
How does this have to do with ESPN or Fox (who has no affiliation to the ACC)?

ESPN gains nothing by renegotiating to pay ACC schools more, when the ACC stupidly signed the contract without looking at the fact $$$ would no doubt rise over time.

The ACC is in the current state of peril on their own.

ESPN gains nothing by renegotiating to pay ACC schools more, when the ACC stupidly signed the contract without looking at the fact $$$ would no doubt rise over time.

The question is was Swofford stupid, corrupt or both,

Because Fox has embraced the BIG10
ESPN has embraced the SEC

The ACC has been embraced by FU

And ESPN gains nothing with the ACC folding either, except additional negotiation with the SEC.

And ESPN gains nothing with the ACC folding either, except additional negotiation with the SEC.
Maybe CBS will decide to get back into college football they can bring Verne out of mothballs.

ESPN would give up the’majority’ of viewers.

Again though, why would ESPN (owned by Disney losing a lot of $$$ as it is) want to rip up an existing contract and pay the same league more $$$ when the demand isn’t there?

The future of the ACC / B12 means nothing to ESPN, minus whether or not the ACCN is something they can get rid of to save $$$.

Again though, why would ESPN (owned by Disney losing a lot of $$$ as it is) want to rip up an existing contract and pay the same league more $$$ when the demand isn’t there?

The future of the ACC / B12 means nothing to ESPN, minus whether or not the ACCN is something they can get rid of to save $$$.
öööö if I know, asshole. I do know they are about to lose ALL ACC programming when the ACC vanishes. Not a big deal, I suppose.

Maybe CBS will decide to get back into college football they can bring Verne out of mothballs.
CBS is still in the CFB game. They started carrying B1G games and will do even more + some others starting this year with the previous sec contract expiring.

B1G is no longer with ESPN, and will have games on FOX, CBS, NBC. This is probably why mysteriously the CFB Semifinal Rose Bowl with Michigan beating Alabama is not available to watch. How dare Michigan dispose of the sec myth. Yet all other CFP games going back to 2017 are.

öööö if I know, asshole. I do know they are about to lose ALL ACC programming when the ACC vanishes. Not a big deal, I suppose.
R-e-l-a-x as Aaron Rodgers said during a time when Packers fans were freaking out about missing the Playoffs. GT will have a seat at a table. Whether that’s the B1G or a new ACC / B12 combined league. GT isn’t going down to the Sun Belt, AAC, C-USA, etc. Everything will be fine in the end.

As far as the ACC goes…..Meh. Who cares? If it stays together, great. If it doesn't, oh well.

R-e-l-a-x as Aaron Rodgers said during a time when Packers fans were freaking out about missing the Playoffs. GT will have a seat at a table. Whether that’s the B1G or a new ACC / B12 combined league. GT isn’t going down to the Sun Belt, AAC, C-USA, etc. Everything will be fine in the end.

As far as the ACC goes…..Meh. Who cares? If it stays together, great. If it doesn't, oh well.
Using Aaron Rodgers as a spiritual guru is shaky at best.

Back