Most Likely Scenario for GT Athletics Future

Most Likely Scenario for GT Future

• Staying in a whole ACC (GOR legal challenges fail and ESPN picks up option)

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Staying in a slightly weakened ACC (FSU & Clemson out)

Votes: 30 16.6%
  • Staying in a significantly weakened ACC (several members gone, replaced with G5 teams)

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • Going to the SEC with a full $ share

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Going to the SEC with a reduced $ share

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Going to the B1G with a full $ share

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Going to the B1G with a reduced $ share

Votes: 22 12.2%
  • Going to the BigXII

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Going to the AAC or some other existing conference

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Part of a new conference

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
I’m 53 years old and don’t have any recollection or “rivalry” association between Tech and SEC teams other than as trivia questions and historical footnotes. The number of living people who remember when Tech had rivalries with Bama or Tennessee is decreasing every year.

The “let’s get back into the SEC and renew those rivalries” thing is silly - almost nobody remembers or cares about how things were 50+ years ago.

JRjr

There is no appeal in any team from the BIG12
Same can be said about great games in front of empty stadiums at BC, Cuse, Pitt, Duke, Wake, Miami, UVA. Add Cal, Stanford to that list as well now. Same can’t be said for a vast majority of B12 teams. Hell, Kansas now fills the stands.

Yet those riveting atmospheres should be enough for ESPN to rip up the current contract and give the ACC more $$$…..Yeah……OK.

I’m 53 years old and don’t have any recollection or “rivalry” association between Tech and SEC teams other than as trivia questions and historical footnotes. The number of living people who remember when Tech had rivalries with Bama or Tennessee is decreasing every year.

The “let’s get back into the SEC and renew those rivalries” thing is silly - almost nobody remembers or cares about how things were 50+ years ago.

JRjr

Maybe I'm alone on this, but the best kinds of rivalries don't have to be built up or occasionally rekindled to still be a legit rivalry. They're pre-packaged based on even-footed-ness of the two athletic programs, regionality, and cultural aspects. You can look at that matchup on paper and circle it as a big game. You know it's a matchup that you'd hate to lose, not because the other team is trash but because of the cultural aspects of losing to that team and dealing with the fans and whatnot.

We've got built-in rivalries with much of the SEC, and it's not just because of history.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but the best kinds of rivalries don't have to be built up or occasionally rekindled to still be a legit rivalry. They're pre-packaged based on even-footed-ness of the two athletic programs, regionality, and cultural aspects. You can look at that matchup on paper and circle it as a big game. You know it's a matchup that you'd hate to lose, not because the other team is trash but because of the cultural aspects of losing to that team and dealing with the fans and whatnot.

We've got built-in rivalries with much of the SEC, and it's not just because of history.
That said, I've seen the case made that our brand is more renown nationally and even internationally than it is regionally to a degree. So I think we'd be golden regardless if we ended up in the B1G or SEC.

But if the ACC gets decimated and we have to either find a landing spot in a reformed ACC by heavily raiding the AAC or the western mish-mash that is the BigXII, it's going to hurt fan interest and engagement, short of being flat out dominant.

We join the conference of misfit toys known as the Big 12.

Either that or ACC stays together and replaces UNC, Clemson and FSU with Coastal Carolina, App St and USF and to be honest, who wants to see that?
i'd take those three teams today over BC, pitt, and cuse.

JRjr
Wrong

JRjr

JRjr
The "almost nobody's" damn well better care...relative to cFB and the world at large. Saw a T-shirt ad yesterday with an image of Clint Eastwood from his old westerns, that said: I may be old, but at least I got to see the world before it turned to sheeite.

If GT was serious about football there would be no SEC. It would be college football on Saturday at 3:30 est presented by (list of ads)… “who is Georgia Tech playing today?”

That is one universe.

The other is I have a GT grad ChemE sleeping at my house and pays no rent. I’ll wake him up to go to work in an hour.

The guy is amazing in what he can do but not much of what he can do matters except for in a small sliver of functional life.

If GT was serious about football there would be no SEC. It would be college football on Saturday at 3:30 est presented by (list of ads)… “who is Georgia Tech playing today?”

That is one universe.

The other is I have a GT grad ChemE sleeping at my house and pays no rent. I’ll wake him up to go to work in an hour.

The guy is amazing in what he can do but not much of what he can do matters except for in a small sliver of functional life.
I hope you can work it out with your boyfriend.

Rivalries also have to be two sided.

i'd take those three teams today over BC, pitt, and cuse.
Sadly, The Big XII does not want GT and if the ACC falls apart we'd better hope for a Big Integer invite or likely be in a conference lower than even the Big XII. Most of the Big XII folks seem to think they will take up to 4 teams and they never mention GT on that wish list. They really want Louisville, Miami, Duke and NC State. Of course they assume that Clempsum and Free Shoes will be in one of the Big 2. They next mention VPI and occasionally they mention us as an interesting choice but not a preferred choice. 365 Sports and John Kurtz are two decent YouTube hosts about the Big XII and done pretty well. Definitely recommend 365 Sports if you haven't ever seen any of there episodes.

Edit: Just remembered that Pitt is also a desired candidate for them. Louisville and Pitt solely to help WVU with more close rivalries and have been decent in basketball which they glorify.

Sadly, The Big XII does not want GT and if the ACC falls apart we'd better hope for a Big Integer invite or likely be in a conference lower than even the Big XII. Most of the Big XII folks seem to think they will take up to 4 teams and they never mention GT on that wish list. They really want Louisville, Miami, Duke and NC State. Of course they assume that Clempsum and Free Shoes will be in one of the Big 2. They next mention VPI and occasionally they mention us as an interesting choice but not a preferred choice. 365 Sports and John Kurtz are two decent YouTube hosts about the Big XII and done pretty well. Definitely recommend 365 Sports if you haven't ever seen any of there episodes.

Edit: Just remembered that Pitt is also a desired candidate for them. Louisville and Pitt solely to help WVU with more close rivalries and have been decent in basketball which they glorify.
Your entire post is bullshit

Your entire post is bullshit
Believe what you will....I did provide the source. They are not the decision makers just media that represents teams in the Big XII but they certainly have many other schools listed ahead of us.

The best thing to do is win. Those Boston College and Boiling Green games have to go. I like the bounces we got against um and others but when people look at losing to um vs boiling green it isn’t good. Even that Louisville game because of the exposure was a must win. I know new regime but the clock is ticking for us.

Georgia Tech will ultimately be part of a 7 team swing from the ACC to the SEC (+Kansas). Possibly more. The real limit is 28 teams. Why? Inventory. You house one superconference under FOX. One under ESPN. How many slots does ESPN need filled in that world?

SECN: 3 (Noon, 3:30, 7:00) ... 6 teams
SECNA: 3 (Noon, 3:30, 7:00) ... 6 teams
ABC: Minimum 1 (3:30) ... 2 teams
ESPN: Minimum 1 ... 2 teams
ESPN2: Minimum 1 ... 2 teams
We're already consuming 18 teams a week: without any byes, without regard to Thursday/Friday night games, without regard to ESPNU carriage, without regard to ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 carrying more than 1 game on Saturday, without regard to having a later kick out of the plains (10:30), without regard to T3/OTA carriage. It's pretty easy if you're ESPN to consume all the games generated by 28 teams without coming close to saturating your slots. Same story for the B1G and FOX (FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN).

SEC Southwest: Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, TAMU, (TCU/Baylor/TTU/KST/Nebraska)
SEC Gulf Coast: LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Florida State
SEC Southeast: Miami, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee
SEC Appalachian: Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech

I'll even leave the possibility open for 2-4 schools to be members in everything but football or have some similar scheduling arrangement (Wake Forest, Tulane, Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, Notre Dame).

To reduce to 24: Remove Louisville, Miami, Duke, and the wildcard in the SEC SW, shift FSU back to the SEC Southeast.

Football: Everybody in your division, 2 permanent non-division rivals, 1 rotating. (9 games)
Basketball: Home and Home in your division, home and home against 2 permanent non-division rivals, 1 rotating home and home. (18 games)
Baseball: Series with your division, series with 2 permanent non-division rivals, 2 rotating series. (10 weekend series).

Makes pretty good logistical sense for everybody involved. Now let's show how it makes dollars and cents:

ESPN adds each pro-rata. If they are all phased in with partial shares at first, everybody makes more money for awhile at least.

ESPN gains monopoly status on college football advertising where it is viewed most and easily has the most 4m+ live viewer games, which is a big deal for ad rates.

ESPN can now demand much higher carriage fees from SECNA and SECN.

The SEC can continue to lean into further monetization beyond just football. March Madness can be blown up and turned into the College Football Playoff style format. It would overnight double the value of any basketball blue bloods acquired from the ACC, and the contract for non-equal revenue in the SEC's favor in that playoff writes itself as well. ESPN has been happy to lean into college baseball and now you're getting 5k+ crowds routinely at several SEC schools. This playbook works very well for the ACC schools shifted over to the SEC as well. It's still a struggle for baseball to be profitable (hello LSU), but it no longer hemorrhages red ink like it use to. I imagine a push would be made for full scholarships for the entire baseball roster instead of the bizarre world we inhabit now of full, half, quarter, and even less scholarships.

It makes the conference big enough (essentially SoCon 2.0) that we can go back to playing highly regional division focused play. This is a boom for the TV ratings AND the gate and all the ancillary revenue associated with fans actually on campus at the games.

The SEC secures all the most valuable recruiting turf in the nation other than Los Angeles.

If Notre Dame reaches a scheduling agreement with the SEC similar to the ACC, then ESPN leverages the Irish as an advertising back door directly into the heart of the B1G footprint.

No more broken rivalries. Well, maybe Kansas-KSU.

Greatly curtail the sad invention of the last 20 years: the conference matchup that only exists because of TV markets. No more South Carolina vs Missouri. No more Boston College vs Georgia Tech. Well, unless you're in the B1G. Then frequent flyer miles are still very important.

Georgia Tech will ultimately be part of a 7 team swing from the ACC to the SEC (+Kansas). Possibly more. The real limit is 28 teams. Why? Inventory. You house one superconference under FOX. One under ESPN. How many slots does ESPN need filled in that world?

SECN: 3 (Noon, 3:30, 7:00) ... 6 teams
SECNA: 3 (Noon, 3:30, 7:00) ... 6 teams
ABC: Minimum 1 (3:30) ... 2 teams
ESPN: Minimum 1 ... 2 teams
ESPN2: Minimum 1 ... 2 teams
We're already consuming 18 teams a week: without any byes, without regard to Thursday/Friday night games, without regard to ESPNU carriage, without regard to ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 carrying more than 1 game on Saturday, without regard to having a later kick out of the plains (10:30), without regard to T3/OTA carriage. It's pretty easy if you're ESPN to consume all the games generated by 28 teams without coming close to saturating your slots. Same story for the B1G and FOX (FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN).

SEC Southwest: Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, TAMU, (TCU/Baylor/TTU/KST/Nebraska)
SEC Gulf Coast: LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Alabama, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Florida State
SEC Southeast: Miami, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Tennessee
SEC Appalachian: Louisville, Kentucky, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech

I'll even leave the possibility open for 2-4 schools to be members in everything but football or have some similar scheduling arrangement (Wake Forest, Tulane, Rice, Vanderbilt, Duke, Notre Dame).

To reduce to 24: Remove Louisville, Miami, Duke, and the wildcard in the SEC SW, shift FSU back to the SEC Southeast.

Football: Everybody in your division, 2 permanent non-division rivals, 1 rotating. (9 games)
Basketball: Home and Home in your division, home and home against 2 permanent non-division rivals, 1 rotating home and home. (18 games)
Baseball: Series with your division, series with 2 permanent non-division rivals, 2 rotating series. (10 weekend series).

Makes pretty good logistical sense for everybody involved. Now let's show how it makes dollars and cents:

ESPN adds each pro-rata. If they are all phased in with partial shares at first, everybody makes more money for awhile at least.

ESPN gains monopoly status on college football advertising where it is viewed most and easily has the most 4m+ live viewer games, which is a big deal for ad rates.

ESPN can now demand much higher carriage fees from SECNA and SECN.

The SEC can continue to lean into further monetization beyond just football. March Madness can be blown up and turned into the College Football Playoff style format. It would overnight double the value of any basketball blue bloods acquired from the ACC, and the contract for non-equal revenue in the SEC's favor in that playoff writes itself as well. ESPN has been happy to lean into college baseball and now you're getting 5k+ crowds routinely at several SEC schools. This playbook works very well for the ACC schools shifted over to the SEC as well. It's still a struggle for baseball to be profitable (hello LSU), but it no longer hemorrhages red ink like it use to. I imagine a push would be made for full scholarships for the entire baseball roster instead of the bizarre world we inhabit now of full, half, quarter, and even less scholarships.

It makes the conference big enough (essentially SoCon 2.0) that we can go back to playing highly regional division focused play. This is a boom for the TV ratings AND the gate and all the ancillary revenue associated with fans actually on campus at the games.

The SEC secures all the most valuable recruiting turf in the nation other than Los Angeles.

If Notre Dame reaches a scheduling agreement with the SEC similar to the ACC, then ESPN leverages the Irish as an advertising back door directly into the heart of the B1G footprint.

No more broken rivalries. Well, maybe Kansas-KSU.

Greatly curtail the sad invention of the last 20 years: the conference matchup that only exists because of TV markets. No more South Carolina vs Missouri. No more Boston College vs Georgia Tech. Well, unless you're in the B1G. Then frequent flyer miles are still very important.
CBS, NBC are also in this TV deal. That gets overlooked.

Back