Moving toward Football in the Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
By my estimation, there are over 10,000 FBS football players, counting scholarship and walk-on athletes. It seems reasonable to guess that several hundred have had a COVID-19 infection already, or are currently infected. If you add in FCS football players and basketball and baseball, I think it's safe to say that the number of infections among college student athletes has probably reached upwards of 2,000. But I am not aware of a single report of a college athlete being hospitalized for it. Since such a case would have the media lining up at the hospital like parolees at your mom's house, I think it's reasonable to conclude that college athletes are extremely unlikely to develop serious illness from it. CDC data is consistent with this as well. Let the games begin!

News is the virus is coming back at an alarming rate in the south. Looks like there will be little chance of college sports in the fall. Pro sports looking doubtful as well. They may force us to go back to full lockdowns by the end of the month.

Dude you are like a broken record. We all watch the news. No need to bring the doom and gloom here. Sports are opening back up, we have protocols to follow, they will be followed and we will have sports. Now go away.

He's not going to make the decision, and his opinion is based mostly on his desire to protect his own reputation if anything bad happens. States continue to open up and the public is weary of the scare mongering. Any credibility for extreme mitigation orders disappeared when elected officials designated looting and rioting as essential activities.

He's not going to make the decision, and his opinion is based mostly on his desire to protect his own reputation if anything bad happens. States continue to open up and the public is weary of the scare mongering. Any credibility for extreme mitigation orders disappeared when elected officials designated looting and rioting as essential activities.
The mere fact that Fauci believes we won't have sports this year gives me hope that we will. He's been so badly wrong on estimations and numbers thus far that I honestly do not know why people even give the man credence any more.

Can't wait for football to start up. I'll be there...might have to sneak over the fence but I'm gonna be there! :) Go Jackets!

Todd. People will come, Todd. They'll come to Bobby Dodd for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up North Avenue not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at their gates as innocent as children, longing for Dodd, "Of course, we won't mind if you look around", you’ll say, “It's only around $800 for a pair of tickets in 223, and Mayhem at MBS.” They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for, as StinGTalk 80K’ers it is money they have, and peace that they lack, oh how they lack it. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in navy and various wrong shades of gold on a hot 12pm September afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats, perhaps some with stinger seats, where adults and children will have to climb over them if they have aisle seats, like GT65. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories of Eddie Lee, Dewberry, Hamilton, Godsey, JfN, Roddy, JT5, Butker, will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Todd. The one constant through all the years, Todd, has been To Hell With Georgia. And it has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. The memory of Citadel has been erased like a blackboard. But Geoff has marked the time. Grant field, 1917, 1928, 1952, 1990, which came after 1980: it's a part of our past, Todd. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again. Oh...people will come Todd. People will most definitely come.

News cycles change quickly these days. In 2 months, those will all be old news. But you can worry about the super caldera under Yellowstone if you want.
A084A0EC-AD3F-4DC5-BAF6-2B73839462E3.jpeg

Todd. People will come, Todd. They'll come to Bobby Dodd for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up North Avenue not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at their gates as innocent as children, longing for Dodd, "Of course, we won't mind if you look around", you’ll say, “It's only around $800 for a pair of tickets in 223, and Mayhem at MBS.” They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for, as StinGTalk 80K’ers it is money they have, and peace that they lack, oh how they lack it. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in navy and various wrong shades of gold on a hot 12pm September afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats, perhaps some with stinger seats, where adults and children will have to climb over them if they have aisle seats, like GT65. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories of Eddie Lee, Dewberry, Hamilton, Godsey, JfN, Roddy, JT5, Butker, will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Todd. The one constant through all the years, Todd, has been To Hell With Georgia. And it has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. The memory of Citadel has been erased like a blackboard. But Geoff has marked the time. Grant field, 1917, 1928, 1952, 1990, which came after 1980: it's a part of our past, Todd. It reminds us of all that once was good and that could be again. Oh...people will come Todd. People will most definitely come.
Must be read in a James Earls Jones voice.

News is the virus is coming back at an alarming rate in the south. Looks like there will be little chance of college sports in the fall. Pro sports looking doubtful as well. They may force us to go back to full lockdowns by the end of the month.
FA96490C-9E43-4C93-92D2-DF60C810C5AB.jpeg

I have stated on here many times that we won't have football in fall. I was at about 90% but after seeing the Clemson story I am 100%. Two weeks ago I thought the summer & heat may send the virus packing. Now we have it spreading faster then the first wave. There is no way they will let kids back on campus. Remember all the talk of how Florida had done everything right? Well they may have to go back to full lockdowns. I think the bigger question is whether we will have football in 2021? I don't think they have ever produced a vaccine for a Coronavirus before?

I have stated on here many times that we won't have football in fall. I was at about 90% but after seeing the Clemson story I am 100%. Two weeks ago I thought the summer & heat may send the virus packing. Now we have it spreading faster then the first wave. There is no way they will let kids back on campus. Remember all the talk of how Florida had done everything right? Well they may have to go back to full lockdowns. I think the bigger question is whether we will have football in 2021? I don't think they have ever produced a vaccine for a Coronavirus before?

:deadhorse:

I hope we have football, but I don't think it's necessary to crucify anyone who's doubtful and insist everyone adopt a 'hear no evil, see no evil' mindset. Most passionate football fans think we should have football, and obviously everyone with a monetary interest wants it to happen. In theory, the idea that positive players will simply be sidelined and the show will go on sounds good, but I'm skeptical that this will work out in practice, especially when we're talking about things like players testing positive on road trips, head coaches testing positive, etc.

I'd still say it's better than 50/50 that we play, but everyone should be prepared for this season, if it happens at all, to be a diminished form of what we're used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back