Moving toward Football in the Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
Good.

I hope we're well off enough by August that "voluntary activities" doesn't put a lot of schools, families or players in compromising positions. Fingers crossed.
Yep. This could have an ugly ending. This virus hasn’t been as deadly as once predicted, but it has killed 100,000 Americans in basically 3 months.

If the Fall comes around and it goes to spreading like crazy, look out.

madRazor

Hard
This is maybe not a "nothing virus" but it's certainly a "not much virus"... They're just conditioning populations for rolling lockdowns and the like forever. Boot on the face of humanity stuff, you know.

Not to mention the next virus they release will be the real deal, and will destroy the ranks of the freedom lovers who are distrustful of authority and the ones dismissive of the lockdowns, masks, etc etc.

At least that's how I would do it.

In the meantime let's get in as much football as possible, ok?

LaFlavor

Flats Noob
This is maybe not a "nothing virus" but it's certainly a "not much virus"... They're just conditioning populations for rolling lockdowns and the like forever. Boot on the face of humanity stuff, you know.

Not to mention the next virus they release will be the real deal, and will destroy the ranks of the freedom lovers who are distrustful of authority and the ones dismissive of the lockdowns, masks, etc etc.

At least that's how I would do it.

In the meantime let's get in as much football as possible, ok?
It's only the biggest, most complicated conspiracy ever.

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
I just can't see anyway football goes this fall. It's silly that haven't come up with a plan to get colleges back up and running yet. Last I checked most of them lean left so good luck with that.

MidnightJacket

Damn Good Rat
I just can't see anyway football goes this fall. It's silly that haven't come up with a plan to get colleges back up and running yet. Last I checked most of them lean left so good luck with that.
It would have to get a lot worse before the SEC didn't play football.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
we need to re-launch the virtual Bobby Dodd effort. I think there's a thread about it on here somewhere. Probably already been bumped.

TechRush

Dodd-Like
They are talking about starting football in June but still have no plans regarding actually opening schools in the fall. That kind of tells me all I need to know.

Kids are going to be tackling each other for entertainment and you are going to tell me my kids can't go back to school? öööö that!

jacket67

Dodd-Like
Based on CDC data, a student athlete is more likely to die from a lightning strike than from an infection with coronavirus. Even if you forget the goal posts regarding ICU beds and ventilators, mitigation is still only about protecting those individuals who are elderly or have chronic health conditions, which would just include a small number of staff and faculty on the campus. But here is the most important implication of delaying the football season: it is still unknown if COVID-19 will follow a typical respiratory virus pattern, but flu season normally starts around the Christmas break and runs through March. If that turns out to be the situation and a vaccine is elusive, a decision to keep kids out of classes in the fall, would almost guarantee a shutdown for the entire 20-21 academic year. The idea that it's acceptable for college kids to study online for a year and a half would doom the whole idea of traditional college campus education. Rewrite the class catalog because labs and group projects are now obsolete.

Last edited:

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
They are talking about starting football in June but still have no plans regarding actually opening schools in the fall. That kind of tells me all I need to know.

Kids are going to be tackling each other for entertainment and you are going to tell me my kids can't go back to school? öööö that!
Your kids don’t generate as much revenue as SEC football.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I'd be very interested to see your math behind this one.
https://www.conservativereview.com/...-remarkably-low-coronavirus-death-rate-media/

The CDC estimates the death rate from COVID-19 for those under 50 is 1 in 5,000 for those with symptoms, which would be 1 in 6,725 overall, but again, almost all those who die have specific comorbidities or underlying conditions. Those without them are more likely to die in a car accident. And schoolchildren, whose lives, mental health, and education we are destroying, are more likely to get struck by lightning.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
What would you spend to be, say, 1 of 10-12k to see a GT FB game?
I really hope there will be a full season of college football this year. I would surely watch it on TV. But, even if I wasn't 70 and in the highest risk group for Covid19, I don't think I'd like to go to a game with 10-15,000 people there. It would sort of depress me. The crowds and the emotion have always been the greatest reason for me to go in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.