Moving toward Football in the Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I really hope there will be a full season of college football this year. I would surely watch it on TV. But, even if I wasn't 70 and in the highest risk group for Covid19, I don't think I'd like to go to a game with 10-15,000 people there. It would sort of depress me. The crowds and the emotion have always been the greatest reason for me to go in person.
The atmosphere could really be different if they have to spread people out, and the fan friends we've made who sit around us might not be there, but hopefully the tailgating experience won't be affected. Maybe they will limit tailgates to 10 people which wouldn't affect me at least. I'm still hoping it is business as usual except for the higher risk folks choosing to stay away.

moochie

Varsity Lurker
I really hope there will be a full season of college football this year. I would surely watch it on TV. But, even if I wasn't 70 and in the highest risk group for Covid19, I don't think I'd like to go to a game with 10-15,000 people there. It would sort of depress me. The crowds and the emotion have always been the greatest reason for me to go in person.
15k offends and depresses me a whole lot less than 0%!

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
It is complex. Team A plays Team B and has five positive corona tests. So does Team B get 40 players exposed? Do those 40 get tested and have to quarantine for 14 days? Then Team B travels to Team C and Team A goes to Team D. Again 50 or sixty additional players might be exposed. Then the next week and the next. What if Trevor Lawrence is positive but asymptomatic?? Does he play or does he go to lockdown for 14 days? And the players are young and healthy, but what about Mack Brown or Nick Saban and aging alums such as myself. I hope we have football, but I can't imagine how Vegas will set a line with so many question marks.

beej67

new around here
It is complex. Team A plays Team B and has five positive corona tests. So does Team B get 40 players exposed? Do those 40 get tested and have to quarantine for 14 days? Then Team B travels to Team C and Team A goes to Team D. Again 50 or sixty additional players might be exposed. Then the next week and the next. What if Trevor Lawrence is positive but asymptomatic?? Does he play or does he go to lockdown for 14 days? And the players are young and healthy, but what about Mack Brown or Nick Saban and aging alums such as myself. I hope we have football, but I can't imagine how Vegas will set a line with so many question marks.
I can't wait for GT to show up vs UGA fielding a team of 80 homeless ringers who all have COVID, play a half, and then watch UGA get disqualified from the SECCG.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
I can't wait for GT to show up vs UGA fielding a team of 80 homeless ringers who all have COVID, play a half, and then watch UGA get disqualified from the SECCG.
When did project Panty Red get de-classified?

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
My company has been open and fully-staffed through the entire crisis. We are following the changing CDC guidelines and more. Most recent word is that exposure alone isn't enough to require quarantine - a positive test or post-exposure symptoms are required. If exposed, you get tested. If you are showing symptoms (fever, dry cough, etc.), you quarantine until test comes back. We had 2 positive cases in our factory with 10 others exposed. The 10 were tested and, while waiting on results, 2 showed symptoms and were sent home. The other 8 stayed at work. All 10 tests came back negative, so the 2 that were quarantined returned to work.

OldGold1968

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
News is the virus is coming back at an alarming rate in the south. Looks like there will be little chance of college sports in the fall. Pro sports looking doubtful as well. They may force us to go back to full lockdowns by the end of the month.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
News is the virus is coming back at an alarming rate in the south. Looks like there will be little chance of college sports in the fall. Pro sports looking doubtful as well. They may force us to go back to full lockdowns by the end of the month.
There won't be any more lockdowns. The overwhelming evidence has shown that the extreme mitigation was a mistake, even if well-intended, and there will be no support for revisiting that approach. There will be some reasonable precautions taken, and high-risk individuals should protect themselves as they see fit, but football will proceed regardless of how many scary forecasts are thrown out by the media.

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
The numbers are a lot less scary than the headlines, particularly when considering the number of people involved in protest over the past couple of weeks. I would be surprised if we don't have football in the fall.

Fredge

Younger than Coit
Ezekiel Elliott and several other Cowboys and Texans have tested positive.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
I am increasingly pessimistic about any sports for the rest of the year. Baseball looks officially dead, football will be a big challenge if the schools can't sell tickets to cover costs to put on games. Only the NBA and tennis seem feasible and I don't give a ratsarse about those.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I am increasingly pessimistic about any sports for the rest of the year. Baseball looks officially dead, football will be a big challenge if the schools can't sell tickets to cover costs to put on games. Only the NBA and tennis seem feasible and I don't give a ratsarse about those.
Athletes are returning to campus. GT has released it's plan to return to on-campus classes in the fall. Season tickets have already been sold. There have never been any problems with hospital capacity, ICU beds, or ventilators, and deaths are declining every day. Not sure what the basis for your pessimism is. Even MLB is just about money disputes, not COVID-19.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...sks-universal-testing/fzHPTwCTVguL6iM50uK4qM/

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Athletes are returning to campus. GT has released it's plan to return to on-campus classes in the fall. Season tickets have already been sold. There have never been any problems with hospital capacity, ICU beds, or ventilators, and deaths are declining every day. Not sure what the basis for your pessimism is. Even MLB is just about money disputes, not COVID-19.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/get-school...sks-universal-testing/fzHPTwCTVguL6iM50uK4qM/
The money disputes, upcoming legal litigation frenzy over Covid and social pacification like appeasing black athletes will throw more hurdles. Player protests/boycotts for improved compensation and administrative control will sideline things too.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
The money disputes, upcoming legal litigation frenzy over Covid and social pacification like appeasing black athletes will throw more hurdles. Player protests/boycotts for improved compensation and administrative control will sideline things too.
News cycles change quickly these days. In 2 months, those will all be old news. But you can worry about the super caldera under Yellowstone if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.