Music City Bowl Refs

Any surprise that it was an ACC officiating crew that botched the end of the Music City Bowl? ACC referees are easily the worst group collectively of any P5 conference.

Im not sure it was a botched call to be honest. The kid wasn’t down but his progress was stopped and he waited too long to stretch the ball. Forward progress is a judgement call and that’s far from the worst judgement I’ve seen.

I get their frustration. If I saw the play live without a whistle I’d lean TD. But I don’t think it’s that crazy for a ref to think forward progress has been stopped there either.

Im not sure it was a botched call to be honest. The kid wasn’t down but his progress was stopped and he waited too long to stretch the ball. Forward progress is a judgement call and that’s far from the worst judgement I’ve seen.

I get their frustration. If I saw the play live without a whistle I’d lean TD. But I don’t think it’s that crazy for a ref to think forward progress has been stopped there either.
There was speculation elsewhere that they called it dead where it was because the ball carrier was being pulled by own team which is illegal

There was speculation elsewhere that they called it dead where it was because the ball carrier was being pulled by own team which is illegal

That's an interesting interpretation. Although they should've flown a flag rather than killing the play.

I don't think it was necessarily botched, either. His forward progress was stopped, then he reached his arm out.

That's an interesting interpretation. Although they should've flown a flag rather than killing the play.

I don't think it was necessarily botched, either. His forward progress was stopped, then he reached his arm out.
The sequence in that scenario would be:
  1. Think he's down early (wasn't)
  2. Call for review to check if he was down
  3. During review, see he was pulled and mark him down on the spot, which was before he outstretched his arms
I don't think they can add that type of penalty after review but they can mark his spot there. Not sure though.

The sequence in that scenario would be:
  1. Think he's down early (wasn't)
  2. Call for review to check if he was down
  3. During review, see he was pulled and mark him down on the spot, which was before he outstretched his arms
I don't think they can add that type of penalty after review but they can mark his spot there. Not sure though.

I meant in real time if they think he's aiding the runner, you'd throw a flag instead of blowing the whistle. A foul never stops the play.

During the review, they can't change the spot based on a foul that wasn't called. I assume (since they confirmed the ruling) the replay official also thought that forward progress was stopped. I do think they should've been slower to stop the play in a situation like that (4th and short on the goal line). If it had happened on 2nd down at midfield, no one would complain.

Any surprise that it was an ACC officiating crew that botched the end of the Music City Bowl? ACC referees are easily the worst group collectively of any P5 conference.
It cost the SEC. Why are you so butthurt about it? Must be an undercover dwag fan.

I meant in real time if they think he's aiding the runner, you'd throw a flag instead of blowing the whistle. A foul never stops the play.

During the review, they can't change the spot based on a foul that wasn't called. I assume (since they confirmed the ruling) the replay official also thought that forward progress was stopped. I do think they should've been slower to stop the play in a situation like that (4th and short on the goal line). If it had happened on 2nd down at midfield, no one would complain.
I mean...that's obvious. They clearly didn't see it realtime. The question is whether they can evaluate it as where forward progress was stopped without the penalty being attached to it. And there are plenty of fouls that would stop the play immediately

I mean...that's obvious. They clearly didn't see it realtime. The question is whether they can evaluate it as where forward progress was stopped without the penalty being attached to it. And there are plenty of fouls that would stop the play immediately

What foul stops the play?

I should say that no foul causes a live ball to become dead.
Only thing I can think of MAYBE is still safety-related, like outside interference could blow a play dead and depending on offender could have a penalty attached to it.

I should say that no foul causes a live ball to become dead.
Kick out of bounds. And/or illegal touching by kicking team. What do I win?

BOOM MOTHAööööA!!!

Happy New Year’s to yo mama!

Back