Music City Bowl Refs

BeeStorm

The Dark Side of the Force
the defensive holding that they didn't call was their biggest ööööup.

CarsonNewmanJacket

Your average fart joke teller
They’re the refs from the Duke Miami game a few years back, so I guess they got a quick trigger on the whistle so they don’t miss on the call again, but they missed again.

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
Kick out of bounds. And/or illegal touching by kicking team. What do I win?

BOOM MOTHAööööA!!!

Happy New Year’s to yo mama!
Both of those are wrong. The ball always becomes dead when it goes out of bounds, kick or not. The foul has nothing to do with the ball becoming dead.

You’re wrong two ways with illegal touching (first touching). First, it’s not a foul. No flag is thrown. A bean bag marks the spot, and the receiving team has the option to take the ball there after the play. Second, the play continues.

Happy new year.

Beej1953

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure I see travesties with other ACC teams like I do with tech.
Always seemed to me that the core NC/SC teams (UNC, NCS, Duke, Clemson, Wake) got preferential treatment from refs. I’m sure that was in large part due to Swofford being commish. Hopefully, now that he’s gone, it will migrate towards more equitable refereeing.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Both of those are wrong. The ball always becomes dead when it goes out of bounds, kick or not. The foul has nothing to do with the ball becoming dead.

You’re wrong two ways with illegal touching (first touching). First, it’s not a foul. No flag is thrown. A bean bag marks the spot, and the receiving team has the option to take the ball there after the play. Second, the play continues.

Happy new year.
Damnit!!!

Beej1953

Helluva Engineer
It cost the SEC. Why are you so butthurt about it? Must be an undercover dwag fan.
Not butthurt - just reinforcing the fact that ACC officiating is well below par. Didn’t care at all who won the game.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
I meant in real time if they think he's aiding the runner, you'd throw a flag instead of blowing the whistle. A foul never stops the play.

During the review, they can't change the spot based on a foul that wasn't called. I assume (since they confirmed the ruling) the replay official also thought that forward progress was stopped. I do think they should've been slower to stop the play in a situation like that (4th and short on the goal line). If it had happened on 2nd down at midfield, no one would complain.
I don’t believe forward progress being stopped is reviewable. A whistle is a whistle. All you can check for is to see where to spot the ball. Based on the whistle that stopped play.

Dhatura

Dodd-Like
Got to like the ACC officiating Twitter page .

But, who was calling the mutt game last night? They were pretty bad for what I could stomach. I watch around 5 mins before I wanted to throw up.

I saw a non-call PI on UM, a non-call false start on Georgia's left tackle, and a pretty obvious push off non-call on Georgia.

It is what it is.

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
Got to like the ACC officiating Twitter page .

But, who was calling the mutt game last night? They were pretty bad for what I could stomach. I watch around 5 mins before I wanted to throw up.

I saw a non-call PI on UM, a non-call false start on Georgia's left tackle, and a pretty obvious push off non-call on Georgia.

It is what it is.
They weren’t calling pass interference on anybody last night.The one where UGA got the interception was egregious, but Michigan got away with plenty as well.

GTYJ

Varsity Lurker
Progress was stopped, thus it was the correct call. Happens all the time in every game. This was just magnified by the situation. Stop blaming the refs for enforcing the rules.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I thought it took at least 7 seconds to stop someone from moving forward before you call them down.

Ironically the exact same thing happened a week later in the Big 10, and they called it down even without a whistle because forward momentum was obviously stopped. The announcers were all clearly the right call.

The litany of mis-calls when they go out of conference is why I hate SEC refs even more than ACC refs.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Any surprise that it was an ACC officiating crew that botched the end of the Music City Bowl? ACC referees are easily the worst group collectively of any P5 conference.
It was a nonissue to them. None of The Carolina teams were playing.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
I thought it took at least 7 seconds to stop someone from moving forward before you call them down.

Even the dumb Georgia fans were subdued in their reaction because they knew it probably wasn’t going to count as a TD.