Nebraska may go back to the triple-option

Nebraska is also considering coaches who run the triple-option, flexbone offense, specifically Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo. Sources indicate that if Nebraska approached Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson, he would recommend Niumatalolo or Army’s Jeff Monken, both his former assistants.

Good to hear that Johnson isn't planning to bolt. At Johnson's age, building a program in a foreign area with the expectations of a Nebraska is probably too big a job

Honestly, I think Ken would get us back on track here. I think one of our biggest problems is Johnsons hard headedness and his down right refusal to alter how he normally does business

It's been 16 years since a football or basketball head coach has voluntarily left Tech for another job

It's been 16 years since a football or basketball head coach has voluntarily left Tech for another job

Meaning we've fired (1) football coach, (1) permanent basketball coach, and (1) temporary basketball coach?

Honestly, I think Ken would get us back on track here. I think one of our biggest problems is Johnsons hard headedness and his down right refusal to alter how he normally does business

Completely agree with part about CPJ not making changes. I'm convinced that all of these chat boards would not be in full melt down if he had simply evolved his system over the years to add new elements like every other football coach in America. How about a credible and well designed short passing game? How about changing QB's and trying someone else when the starter is clearly struggling and could use a break?

You don't have to junk the base system, just add some new wrinkles each year to counter the counters of our opponents. After ten years of seeing the same old triple option year in and year out, our regular opponents have adapted to it. Doing the same old, same old over and over with arguably diminishing returns is simply madness.

Granted, we aren't football coaches, but we are smart people and believe it or not football isn't rocket science - we see the same problems over and over that never seem to be addressed. The intransigence is just as maddening as three losses to Duke in four years.

After ten years of seeing the same old triple option year in and year out, our regular opponents have adapted to it. Doing the same old, same old over and over with arguably diminishing returns is simply madness.
Has someone done the research to determine if CPJ's system is experiencing diminishing returns? I'm not aware of that.

Has someone done the research to determine if CPJ's system is experiencing diminishing returns? I'm not aware of that.

I have, I watched our offense in the second half of the Duke game Saturday.

I have, I watched our offense in the second half of the Duke game Saturday.
Then you also watched it in the first half?
There's a place for anecdotal evidence and there's a place for statistical evidence.

Back