New DC options

In all seriousness, it might also be DJ Durkin, but I'm pretty sure Santucci was who the handshake deal was agreed to. And, yes, Key wouldn't be making these hires without alignment with the new guy (analysts notwithstanding).
Durkin would explain why the due diligence has taken so long.

In all seriousness, it might also be DJ Durkin, but I'm pretty sure Santucci was who the handshake deal was agreed to. And, yes, Key wouldn't be making these hires without alignment with the new guy (analysts notwithstanding).
I think Durkin is going to Bama.

Santucci.
This guy?
IMG_2225.jpeg

I think Saban still loves the coaching and teaching aspects of football. It was the new era of roster management and pay for play that made being a head coach no longer appealing. He doesn't need the money. So, let him buy some new Georgia lake property and let him off the hook for any recruiting. Show up for Spring practice, summer camp and the season and be our defensive coordinator. It works for me.

I think Saban still loves the coaching and teaching aspects of football. It was the new era of roster management and pay for play that made being a head coach no longer appealing. He doesn't need the money. So, let him buy some new Georgia lake property and let him off the hook for any recruiting. Show up for Spring practice, summer camp and the season and be our defensive coordinator. It works for me.
IMG_2228.gif

Funny, ESPN is showing Saban’s coaching tree but no mention of Key
To be fair, are they mentioning or referencing other position coach's as part of the "tree"? IMHO, a requirement of being mentioned as a member of a particular head coach's dingleberry club, is having held one of the two major coordinator positions. (special teams coordinator doesn't count) Could be wrong. To me, Key is part of the O'Leary Tree. Coached for Saban, but didn't get to sit at the "tree" table during lunch.

To be fair, are they mentioning or referencing other position coach's as part of the "tree"? IMHO, a requirement of being mentioned as a member of a particular head coach's dingleberry club, is having held one of the two major coordinator positions. (special teams coordinator doesn't count) Could be wrong. To me, Key is part of the O'Leary Tree. Coached for Saban, but didn't get to sit at the "tree" table during lunch.
Didn't really hold those positions under OIeary either. Not sure if that 1 year he was OC was actually under OIeary, but even if it was I'm sure it's a year key wishes didn't exist

Didn't really hold those positions under OIeary either. Not sure if that 1 year he was OC was actually under OIeary, but even if it was I'm sure it's a year key wishes didn't exist

It was under O'Leary. He also held the Assistant Head Coach title there, so I would say he is from the GOL coaching tree for sure. I know one coaching tree he definitely won't claim.....

He was OC in 2015 under O'Leary from start to finish. I'd guess he'd point to that year as educational, to put some shine on it. At least he got to sit at the tree table.

If Key turns into a positive impactful head coach, he will show up on the Saban tree in the future. If he sucks, he’ll be referred to in the GOL tree. GarrOnTee.

This is an important distinction because everybody knows when the staff talks about "tree" stuff all the regular ol' position coaches are dismissed. They don't pick up any knowledge from working at that particular institution until they get in on those meetings.

CBK was very well thought of by Saban and he made a strong push to keep him regardless if he is considered part of the tree or not.

Back