New DC options

It does seem odd that we are adding assistants before a DC. Makes one think that a hire could have already been made and not announced yet?
The thing the makes it confusing is that is in last few days we have seen that we hired 2 coaches, Jess Simpson and now Kyle Pope both DL coaches
But unless I missed it Tech has made no announcement to confirm them or what is happening with Coleman. I really need to stop drinking so much or need to drink more.

It’s looking more and more likely that Sherrer is coming back and Key is hiring quality position coaches to help him out.

I think this signifies we are spending money on defensive staff and will have a larger staff next season (analysts). I’m not sure it says anything about the DC position one way or another.

Supposedly we wanted to hire Pope last season but didn’t have the money. My guess is the positive season loosened the purse strings of a donor for Key’s use.

A lot of people are saying Bala, LB coach from Bama. They're hiring a guy to replace him, so the assumption is he's taking a DC job. I heard we interviewed him.

It’s looking more and more likely that Sherrer is coming back and Key is hiring quality position coaches to help him out.
This might not be a bad thing. If Sherrer is a good game and personnel manager, maybe all he needs is better assistants to get the job done. IMHO, almost all great and/or successful HFC's and department managers are just good organization managers. Certainly they need to know the game in order to hire good staff, but, otherwise, let your people do what they know how to do.

As much as some make fun of Dabo @ Clemson, he is, to me, a good example. He may or may not be a great X-O guy, but he knows how to manage his staff and the overall team. Give them the resources that they need and stay out of their way, while unobtrusively keeping tabs on how things are going, in case changes need to be made. Lead and make the tough decisions, but don't micromanage. And, say what you will, overall, Dabo has been very successful at Clemson.

Just my tupence! :)

Back