New football content

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
From what I've read, Woody emphasizes speed and athleticism over size and runs an attacking defense as opposed to the reactive one that Roof ran. We'll get a lot more sacks and TFLs, and I guess probably give up more big plays. Our CBs will be much closer to the ball and probably get a lot more INTs (App St ranked 2nd nationally in picks under Woody). We'll run a 3-4, but it will be completely different than Groh's. The linemen will be attacking, not just trying to take up blocks.

I'm excited to see it. We'll probably give up about the same number of points, but I expect more turnovers and 3-and-outs so our offense will get more possessions.

Anything over death by a thousand cuts.

GTROY

Damn Good Rat
If we've done it outside of reverses, it's been sparingly. I'm drawing a blank, could you point me to the game where we've run that concept?
I will do my best to find the game, but I know we did it extensively either last year or the year before in a game that we were getting beaten pretty badly. It worked very well. Either UGA or Clemson, probably.

My understanding is that a defender is lined up to guard the A-back as a wide-receiver. When he goes in motion, you're effectively getting one extra player against the other side of the formation.

beej67

new around here
My 0.02 on the motion:

In my opinion it was a variation on our 2008 strategy, so it may have something to do with how Mickey Andrews was playing it.

Our passing traditionally comes mostly out of trips or tight formation. We never ran tight against FSU, but did run a lot of trips in 08 against them. They were doing this goofy thing where they would double the center, so we walked an A back out into the slot to run trips and the space left over was open for our midline stuff. I don't think we passed much out of trips vs FSU in 09, but it's been a long time and my memory of the game is clouded by booze, but we may have been lining up trips to force FSU to check into passing defenses, then using motion to run against those passing defenses. That would be my guess, anyway, thinking back on the game. I seem to recall we had a ööööpile of rushing yards.

If someone is interested in doing the analysis, the thing to do would be to look at what plays were called out of the motioning trips formation, particularly run/pass ratio and what sorts of plays the runs were, and compare that to the run/pass ratio of the non-motion stuff.

In general, I have noticed we run out of trips a lot when opposing teams are in man coverage. All we're doing basically is getting one automatic block by walking the slot out, and watching the other team carry a defender with them. You'll notice, if a team is playing zone underneath, we don't call run plays out of trips near as much. Now personally, I would think the ultimate thing to do with that would be to start throwing to the slot versus that defense, but to do that we'd need a QB who can reliably deliver the ball, and we'd need blockers.

Ed Sawyer

I eventually banged Lucy Matthews.
It helps running the option when you have Demaryius Thomas at WR.
The numbers don't bare that out. We averaged 5.2 yards per carry in 2009, which is the lowest during Johnson's tenure.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Anything over death by a thousand cuts.
I don't know. Death by a thousand cuts is painful. But so is stopping them and stopping them and stopping them... followed by a long bomb for a TD. (Think how UGA lost to Bama. That was pretty painful.) I don't think there's any particular kind of defensive failure which is better than another. Gotta get 'em off the field and off the scoreboard, by whatever means.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
The numbers don't bare that out. We averaged 5.2 yards per carry in 2009, which is the lowest during Johnson's tenure.
Not always the best measure of rushing success.

I'm not saying we were more successful than you're implying, because it could go either way. If we had rushed for right about 5.2 yards every single time we'd touched the ball, that'd be the best running team in history. If we rushed 19 times for 0 yards and then once for the length of the field, that'd not say great things about our actual rushing prowess. I'm not sure which was closer to being the case in 2009.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
I don't know. Death by a thousand cuts is painful. But so is stopping them and stopping them and stopping them... followed by a long bomb for a TD. (Think how UGA lost to Bama. That was pretty painful.) I don't think there's any particular kind of defensive failure which is better than another. Gotta get 'em off the field and off the scoreboard, by whatever means.
I would argue that the stop, stop, stop, bomb defense at least keeps you in the game knowing there's a chance. It's something else to know deep in your gut that Miami's going to throw an 8th bubble screen in a row for 8 yards and they're guaranteed to score.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I would argue that the stop, stop, stop, bomb defense at least keeps you in the game knowing there's a chance. It's something else to know deep in your gut that Miami's going to throw an 8th bubble screen in a row for 8 yards and they're guaranteed to score.
If Brad Stewart catches that pass, we win

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
While Miami fans around you are yelling "You can't stop us Georgia Tech!" Yeah öööö Ted Roof.