New summer pro football league aims to offer paid alternative to college football

Bingo. This is huge.

And the NCAA needs to shut the öööö up when they start losing revenue.

So this will be kids who either didn't/couldn't go to college, community college students, maybe some kids who aren't good enough to play for their school's football team, right?

So this will be kids who either didn't/couldn't go to college, community college students, maybe some kids who aren't good enough to play for their school's football team, right?

If the average salary is 50 grand, it's going to be bigger than that, eventually. They still have a long way to go before they can out-recruit the biggest programs. They've got to get access to facilities that are nice, a bigger stage to play on, and find a way to keep the players drowning in pussy. I'd say something about countering the long term value of a college degree but I'm not sure I believe in it at most places and very few recruits give a damn anyway.

I can see it now. Games will be played at high school stadiums in front of 837 fans and will be televised on Spike. And when the league folds after a year all the kids that skipped college won't be eligible to play and will end up working at various car washes and Fat Burgers throughout California.

If the average salary is 50 grand, it's going to be bigger than that, eventually. They still have a long way to go before they can out-recruit the biggest programs. They've got to get access to facilities that are nice, a bigger stage to play on, and find a way to keep the players drowning in pussy. I'd say something about countering the long term value of a college degree but I'm not sure I believe in it at most places and very few recruits give a damn anyway.
Oh, I must have missed the 50k bit. I dunno, it's hard for me to see a football league upstart of any sort and see anything but a project bound to fail within five years. Maybe I'm wrong and within a couple of years it'll spawn additional leagues around the country but I'm not clear on what makes this more viable than any of the other new leagues we've seen pop up before.

You got me at 50 grand and drowning in pussy. Time to get back in playing shape. I'm in.

Oh, I must have missed the 50k bit. I dunno, it's hard for me to see a football league upstart of any sort and see anything but a project bound to fail within five years. Maybe I'm wrong and within a couple of years it'll spawn additional leagues around the country but I'm not clear on what makes this more viable than any of the other new leagues we've seen pop up before.

I think the long term goal of this isn't to build an independent league, but to lay the groundwork for some infrastructure to sell to the NFL/ESPN when the talks about a professional developmental league get serious enough. Definitely a gamble, but looking at their board, I think they have well placed guys to indicate their chances. I agree with the basic sentiment, though, it's pretty unlikely that this takes off on its own.

I think the long term goal of this isn't to build an independent league, but to lay the groundwork for some infrastructure to sell to the NFL/ESPN when the talks about a professional developmental league get serious enough. Definitely a gamble, but looking at their board, I think they have well placed guys to indicate their chances. I agree with the basic sentiment, though, it's pretty unlikely that this takes off on its own.
I have to imagine ESPN would be far more interested than the NFL would. Do they really even need a DL? Seems like the one they have right now is big enough and free enough that it would be silly to start one that actually requires investment.

I have to imagine ESPN would be far more interested than the NFL would. Do they really even need a DL? Seems like the one they have right now is big enough and free enough that it would be silly to start one that actually requires investment.

The DL is something they are working on in earnest right now, but it's not a "hey this is better than what we have" thing, it's a contingency for if/when the pay the players thing explodes and crushes the current college model. No telling what the aftermath might look like, and they have to make sure the quality of their product doesn't decrease in the meantime. Again, looking at the board for this new league, I can't imagine that there hasn't been a nod and a wink in a smoky back room somewhere. This plan would be the leapiest of leaps of faith otherwise.

The DL is something they are working on in earnest right now, but it's not a "hey this is better than what we have" thing, it's a contingency for if/when the pay the players thing explodes and crushes the current college model. No telling what the aftermath might look like, and they have to make sure the quality of their product doesn't decrease in the meantime. Again, looking at the board for this new league, I can't imagine that there hasn't been a nod and a wink in a smoky back room somewhere. This plan would be the leapiest of leaps of faith otherwise.
Ah, okay. I don't really know anything about the NFL business anymore, I hadn't really given any thought to the impact the ominous rumbling under the college football landscape will have on the pros.

Isnt the canadian league profitable? If hockey can turn a profit in Gwinnett there is no doubt FOOTBALL can be profitable at a sub NFL level.

Isnt the canadian league profitable? If hockey can turn a profit in Gwinnett there is no doubt FOOTBALL can be profitable at a sub NFL level.

Both the XFL and FXFL are decent case studies in this recently. Between CFB, AFL, and CFL, players who are not currently playing professionally are spread pretty thin. The emergence of a new league under the NFL level pretty much depends on something else collapsing, or the NFL/ESPN propping it up. Semi-pro football already has lots of leagues and teams, and very little in the way of profitability.

A professional development league with teams in the right markets (no NFL or major college football) could be profitable.

I don't see this necessarily doing well until the NFL sets up a minor league / feeder system like the MLB. I think for a lot of these kids it's not so much about the money but about the fame / attention from playing in these high profile games. I just wish the guise of a "college degree" would go away or just have a pro player degree that includes personal finance and money management.

Back