News on Suggs

romejacket

Varsity Lurker
Heard today from a very legit source that AJ will never be the starting QB at Tech again, he also said that Bilbo has a hard time knowing the plays. So basically J Smith is going to QB and if he doesn't start I guess Ball, Pena, ect will start.

well .. i don't know who your source is .. i am always skeptical about "sources" .. not a flame ..

shameful if bilbo can't figure out the QB position .. waste of tremendous talent

I find it hard to believe a quarterback we had in a game against Wake Forest where we were trailing in the 4th quarter can't learn plays. There has to be more to the story than that. It would be a disaster to put a player at QB who hasn't played there in nearly 4 years. Give Bilbo a chance in a game and let's see what he can do. If he struggles and doesn't know the plays, then play Brian Camp. Bilbo threw for 3000 yards in high school. He must know some plays.

Why Have I never seen Bilbo bust a play? I have seen all the games, even the Miss-Ala AS game. For someone who does not know the plays, he sure does a good job of faking it. Give him a chance to fail, at least. Congratulations to Suggs for beating out Stephens for 9th in ACC passing eff.

The ONLY mistake I've seen him make all year was that deep pass that he just threw without looking against Carolina. He just heaved it up instead of taking a sack and it got intercepted. Thing is, I can live with those kinds of mistakes because they are correctable. When you miss high and wide trying to hit a moving target 5-10 yards away (like Suggs has countless times), that is something to be worried about...especially when it happens as much in game 2 as it is in game 12.

The situation is of more concern than the personaolities. The staff squandered opportunities this year to get Bilbo quality reps to not only see what he could do but provide for a quality backup in the event Suggs got hurt. Same can be said for Brian Camp as well. If your rumor proves legitimate, we start the 03 season with a QB that ran plays vs. Georgia and has all of about 3 weeks of spring practice. Even worse to consider incoming true freshman. Not good.

I have the same feelings Father Wasp. Bringing in a excellent football player like Reggie Ball is super but he will still have to be developed and this coaching staff has not shown that ability.

FatherWASP & statelineJacket,

We're all up early this morning, tingling with anticipation at the chance to pick up some news on the team!
Have to agree with what's already been said, story just doesn't seem creditable. If it is true, even harder to believe our coaching staff could have blundered so often this year.

However, if it is true, we had better start digging for a transfer quarterback, fast..

Doesn't Vick have one or two more years of eligibility? Nah, we couldn’t afford to pay as much as Ala-mama and FSU.

I gotta believe Bilbo will get a chance to start...Maybe Pena get a chance in spring too!

I think the reasons that Suggs got all the reps was the coaches hoped he would improve.

I imagine if Bilbo has struggled with the playbook this has been demonstrated at practice. The coaches probably only called the plays he could handle and that is why he did not struggle on the field.

We can have a platoon of qb's until Pena or whoever gets up to speed. Smith is a unique player he got his jaw broke in the 1st half of F$U and then came back in the second half. Do not sell him short.

He will have limited abilities to make reads, but I have not seen any of our qb's make a read this year. We could actually make the read from the sideline like Wake Forest did against us and EVERYONE else.

There are many options.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
I have the same feelings Father Wasp. Bringing in a excellent football player like Reggie Ball is super but he will still have to be developed and this coaching staff has not shown that ability.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">By this logic, we will have to say that "this coaching staff" HAS shown the ability to turn a 3rd string DB into the nation's leading rusher. If you want to be negative, you can always find a way, I suppose; but the fact remains that a coaching staff can only work with what it has to work with.

Amen Belly, people will always find a way to turn a positive into a negative. Yep a 3rd string db into the best rb in the nation does say something about CG's ability to spot talent.

Whether a statement was misinterpreted, I don't have the slightest, but the remark/rumor that Bilbo was not playing due to the inability to learn the plays is one of the lamest things I have ever heard, in my personal opinion. I cannot buy that excuse, realizing it may not have been stated in that manner.

If that remark were to be true, it would mean Camp could not learn the plays either, because he did not play. It also means all the other quarterbacks on the team at other positions could not learn the plays either because they were not tried.

It boils down to the "fact", Suggs was not getting the job done, so someone should have been substituted in his place to try and improve the situation. That, my friends, is a failure of coaching, whichever coach is responsible.

I don't think the fans on the board are as upset that Bilbo did not get a chance, but whichever coach was responsible, did not try to correct the inefficiencies of the quarterback position. You can count me in that group.

That does not mean I think Gailey should not be given another year. We as fans hear rumors, but know nothing for sure about who was responsible for the absence of a change. I still think Gailey has to be given some time to rearrange his team for best performance.

smile.gif

Sorry Romejacket, but unless you are willing to reveal your source...

you didn't hear anything and you don't know anything. Not a flame against you at all... I just have a big problem with rumor mongering.

Even if Gailey himself told you, what good does it do to post it here? Everything will work itself out in the Spring.

What I find mystifying about the Bilbo situation is that before the season started, Chan and BOB said that Suggs and Bilbo were l and 1A that's how close the competition was for the starting job.

If you were that close going into the regular season, you had to have known the playbook or at least most of it. Am I wrong here? They never mentioned early on anything about playbooks. How could you go from being 1A to never being given a chance, especially with Suggs struggling. Suggs got soooo many chances to improve his game.

There's just something here that is not right. When I saw Jonathan Smith play in the UGAG game, I knew something was wrong!

Ms Tech
I agree 100%...Something is so fishy about this whole story.....I wonder if we'll ever know the truth - but I don't buy this "he doesn't know the playbook" thing for a second

Guys, a source told me Bilbo will be taking most of the reps at the Bowl game. I dunno who Rome Jacket's source was, but mine is quite credible. My gut just isn't wrong that often.

if bilbo doesnt know any plays, then what does that say about brian camp? that means either camp knows almost nothing, or that he does know the book but he cant throw worth crap. i dont think either of these are true. if they are true, then we have pretty pathetic qb situation. but of course not being able to throw worth crap will get you a starting position at tech.

Back