Next season

When do season ticket sales start back up? I gave up my ST and told my rep I’d take Tech football seriously again when Tech decides to do the same. I’ll put my money where my mouth is.
I’m gonna hold you to this

Thacker has to go. If Key does not get rid of him it will be a massive failure. Sherrer has not shown enough in his games as “DC” to warrant getting the job. We need a new DC. That person can hire who they want for defensive positions. I’d be fine with Sherrer staying on in some capacity. Coleman should probably go.

Thacker has to go. If Key does not get rid of him it will be a massive failure. Sherrer has not shown enough in his games as “DC” to warrant getting the job. We need a new DC. That person can hire who they want for defensive positions. I’d be fine with Sherrer staying on in some capacity. Coleman should probably go.
Here is the problem if you hire a good DC then he needs to pick his staff. Something Key would have to agree with if he doesn't then move on. What I would like to know is with Sherre taking over during the season is what defense he would like to run and how good is he at recruiting.
First don't lose any of the offensive staff.

I think it's crucial that the new DC have a plan or a good track record for recruiting defensive talent. I'd love to get someone who could bring some great players with them to bootstrap things. Groh got us Attaochu if you remember.

What could any DC have done differently? We’ve got some good young talent that with a year of conditioning, especially increasing their speed, and recruiting better and using the portal, we’ll be ok on D next year. I actually think the DC called a pretty good game last night.

What could any DC have done differently? We’ve got some good young talent that with a year of conditioning, especially increasing their speed, and recruiting better and using the portal, we’ll be ok on D next year. I actually think the DC called a pretty good game last night.
Made sure our defenders knew how to run fit. Not sent double a gap blitzes repeatedly just for off tackle runs to gash us. Held position coaches accountable to teach proper techniques so our blitzes actually cause pressure rather than taking defenders out of coverage.

In this game, I'm not sure how much. But throughout the season we've had multiple (seriously, probably 10+) cases where our guys didn't even try to wrap up when they easily could have. Instead, they just went in with their shoulder, pinballed off the guy, and gave up 10 more yards. That's definitely coaching.

Giving up repeat 3rd and long conversions is on the coaching staff. It’s either poor coaching or bad playcalling/scheme. Once in a while and you can blame it on a player being out of position or missing a tackle. When it’s predictable like it was for us, it’s on coaching.

Are the first row of 205U immediately behind the last row of 205L or is there a big gap?

We need someone smart enough to work around a weak DL, if that can exist. We just aren't going to get/retain any talent there that isn't a transfer in.

In this game, I'm not sure how much. But throughout the season we've had multiple (seriously, probably 10+) cases where our guys didn't even try to wrap up when they easily could have. Instead, they just went in with their shoulder, pinballed off the guy, and gave up 10 more yards. That's definitely coaching.
How much do we pay these guys that something so obvious escapes them. One of the TV commenters noted the lack of size of our D. Therein lies the problem. The most important job is getting good talent onto the field. You can hire someone for the X and O.

We need someone smart enough to work around a weak DL, if that can exist. We just aren't going to get/retain any talent there that isn't a transfer in.
Transfers are fine. We need to get and keep talent. This solves the coaching problems aside from clown shows.

Transfers are fine. We need to get and keep talent. This solves the coaching problems aside from clown shows.
My point is we aren't likely to be able to do so at DL if we get them from high school. Didn't we have a DT get plucked by another team off of a good spring game performance?

Back