Next years View In Lieu of Coaching Changes

A couple of years ago, the Tex A&M defense was a total rebuild. The "Wrecking Crew" was their nickname. The entire spring training was devoted to team chemistry and overcoming the youth and inexperience of the defense. That year was one of the best defenses in their history.

Team chemistry with "the Yellow Jackets flying round" will whip teams that have more talent. So, lets devote ourselves to this element, which is one that the fan base can contribute to (or detract from).

Originally posted by bugboy:
I think 6-6 is likely. 8-4 would be very good against this schedule.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
Originally posted by Fan Of Bobby Dodd:
I believe an 8 and 4 would be exellent but a 6+6 would not be terrible when you look at the schedule.
Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
I'd say we win 7 games.
Originally posted by Big Buck:
I will go on record as projecting a less than 500
winning percentage. Man I hope i'm wrong.
Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
I'm going with 2-8 this year (0-4 start).
Originally posted by beeware:
If this team were coached by the Fridge or Grobe, I would be inclined to pick 10-1. But with Chan at the helm, 2-9 is certainly a sad possiblity.

I will give a vote of confidence to our fine players and say that they will partially overcome the lack of coaching and perhaps win 7 games.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It is really sad just how much expectations have fallen for this program under the current leadership.

If Fridge, Grobe, Amato, Groh, Richt, O'leary....or almost any other qualified Division 1 college coach was leading this team, the sky would be the limit.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if resume's actually could coach???

Leadership has nothing to do with the current levels of expectations. The lack of a proven QB does.

But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a good smear campaign?

Originally posted by Dr. B:
Leadership has nothing to do with the current levels of expectations. The lack of a proven QB does.

But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a good smear campaign?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're in line with my thinking as well. The same ol same ol smear campaign is getting older and older.

Face facts, BW, with O'L the limit was not the sky. Without the Fridge, O'L was just another coach.

Gailey's 1st year reminds me a lot of Donnan's at UGA. Sort of a one step forward, two steps back season. That's pretty common in a 1st season. UGA had a Couple of nice wins (Tex Tech, AU) embarassing losses (So.Miss, UK) Sloppy losses(USC,Ole Miss). Tech' year seems similar. Donnan followed with a 10-2 year in 97 with Bobo, Ward, and Edwards leading the way. Gailey really needs some impact offensive players to emerge to get things turned around

don't ask beeware to face facts .. beeware runs from facts like a vampire runs from a cross.

don't also ask beeware to indulge in a debate .. beeware is a hippocrite and a masterdebater .. he doesn't have time to indulge in debates with lesser mortals.

if only our offense could be as offensive as beeware. beeware would make a good offensive co-ordinator.

in fact beeware already has an offensive gameplan in place. it is eerily similar to june jones offense at hawaii, just backwards.

june jones runs a run-and-shoot offense .. whereas beeware runs a shoot-and-run offense

I hate predictions because I'm the eternal optimist. I always attend our games thinking we'd win, even if my heart said "we don't have a chance" and even if I wasn't totally happy with the coaching. Through the years, some of those "we don't have a chances" went our way. Who knows we might be the Notre Dame of 2003.

In an effort to stay positive as I look forward to every season, let's just say I HOPE WE ARE BETTER THEN MOST PEOPLE THINK!!
wink.gif

Yeah Jerry, it was hard to believe that we didn't have a chance to win when O'Leary was coach. I mean, the worst QB he ever had to start was Brandon Shaw.

Comparing O'L with CG gives me reason to think that we are improving with CG. If O'L had the season of injuries that CG had, there would have been more losses than we had IMHO. The questions that I see are 3:
1) Will we have a throw and catch dimension that is reliable? 2) Will our offensive philosophy change from that of the last 2 years? 3) Will S&C change enough to help us do some slobber-knockin?

Originally posted by Jerry the Jacket:
In past years (the O'Leary years) I always felt we had a chance to win every time we took the field. Even when we were underdogs, I felt we would fight hard and give a great effort and with a little good fortune we just might win. This often led to being overly optimistic but fortunately I am not a betting man so it only cost me in the heart and not the wallet.

This year is different. I feel we could be in for a very disastrous year. I hope and pray that is not the case. For some reason my view has changed 180 degrees with Coach Gailey vs. Coach O'Leary. I have tried not to feel that way but if I am honest with myself, that is the way I feel. There is a lot that goes into this, but basically it comes down to diminished confidence in the leadership of the program.

I will always pull for the Jackets and hope my feelings are totally incorrect, but that is the way I feel on Feb. 17, 2003. A lot can change prior to the opening game and I reserve the right to feel more optimistic. I just want to see some positive things emerge in Spring Practice and the preseason.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">JTJ,
Excellent post. I agree with you 100%. I feel exactly the same way you do; in fact I could have written the same post, word for word.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
I hate predictions because I'm the eternal optimist. I always attend our games thinking we'd win, even if my heart said "we don't have a chance" and even if I wasn't totally happy with the coaching. Through the years, some of those "we don't have a chances" went our way. Who knows we might be the Notre Dame of 2003.

In an effort to stay positive as I look forward to every season, let's just say I HOPE WE ARE BETTER THEN MOST PEOPLE THINK!!
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">mstech,
Good post. I always thought TECH would win also. In fact, the main thing that hurt me in the prediction contest is I kept picking TECH each week....something dore-dawg didn't feel obligated to do.
wink.gif

Maybe we will win in spite of things. We certainly have the talent to do it.

Things? Talent?

How about QB play?

Come on BW, tell us how/where we have the QB play to have a "sky's the limit" belief?

In past years (the O'Leary years) I always felt we had a chance to win every time we took the field. Even when we were underdogs, I felt we would fight hard and give a great effort and with a little good fortune we just might win. This often led to being overly optimistic but fortunately I am not a betting man so it only cost me in the heart and not the wallet.

This year is different. I feel we could be in for a very disastrous year. I hope and pray that is not the case. For some reason my view has changed 180 degrees with Coach Gailey vs. Coach O'Leary. I have tried not to feel that way but if I am honest with myself, that is the way I feel. There is a lot that goes into this, but basically it comes down to diminished confidence in the leadership of the program.

I will always pull for the Jackets and hope my feelings are totally incorrect, but that is the way I feel on Feb. 17, 2003. A lot can change prior to the opening game and I reserve the right to feel more optimistic. I just want to see some positive things emerge in Spring Practice and the preseason.

Go Jackets!

Let's not forget discipline. At least George had a disciplined team. Remember all the fights, throwing the ball after a turnover, etc we had last year. Chan took us to a new level in a hurry, and it had nothing to do with tallent, or lack of it. If there isn't a major improvement on the sidelines, we can start passing the hat for Chan's going away gift ($940,000 X 3).

Originally posted by John H. Darnell:
Let's not forget discipline. At least George had a disciplined team. Remember all the fights, throwing the ball after a turnover, etc we had last year. Chan took us to a new level in a hurry, and it had nothing to do with tallent, or lack of it. If there isn't a major improvement on the sidelines, we can start passing the hat for Chan's going away gift ($940,000 X 3).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I hear ya John. Since you brought it up. Can recall some times when our previous head coach had teams that did not show discipline as well. It was later delt with. The brawl in the endzone at BDS against UGA is an example. There are many others.

I'm not saying that we don't need to be more disciplined. We do. Is said to be highest priority by our Head Coach.

By the way, Welcome to Sting Talk!

Go Jackets!

If we have a winning record it will be because Hollings gets back and the QB( whoever ) doesn't have to be the focus.No Hollings and all bets are off.Could easily be 4-8 and I'll be happy to apologize and admit ignorance if we do well.

I might as well wade in on the million dollar - literally - question.

At the conclusion of the Fresno game, it was time to take stock and make corrections. Minimal, if any, action has been taken to improve upon what happened last year.

We have shuffled some coaches and in essence moved one from a desk job to on the field and hired another with a spotty record. We have made no major overhauls where we needed to. Dookie is still coaching the OLine and our strength coach is still in place. No one is really sure what to do about special teams.

I agree with Jerry about O'Leary. Our teams did have discipline and would come to play hard. However this slide started under him and Gailey is continuing it. Truth is without Friedgen to simply outscore people with offense our chances have been diminishing week by week.

This team will be hard pressed to win more than four games, and I have no idea where the four will come from. Maryland, NCState, FSU, Georgia, Auburn and UVa will be decided favorites. BYU and Vandy are non-conference games on the road, both of whom will have a revenge factor in mind. Clemson, Wake, UNC and Duke, or lineup of games that we would "usually" consider winnable, now look like tossups. Wake and Clemson last year got us on coaching alone.

To win at this level you have to have chemistry and discipline. We are questionable. You have to be solid at quarterback. We are not. You must stay healthy and physically punish people. You can't avoid the ACLS's like Hollings but a major portion of the gimps, bruises and minor stuff keep a running line of players coming in and out. At Georgia for the first time I actually saw our players getting out of the way of the ball carrier to avoid contact, something I thought I would never see.

I agree with Jerry, I looked for offseason overhaul and have seen little to raise my assessment that this is going to be an uphill climb.

Well, we do have a chance to improve at QB coz bo'b is gone. But we do have the same OL coach and he is terrible and more importantly we have the same S&C coach, so I see no need for us to improve from that all important starting spot. It is indeed sad that clough would not allow DB to do his job.

originally posted by father WASP
To win at this level you have to have chemistry and discipline.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">IMO, chemistry will improve greatly with BOB gone. The hiring of Geiss and shuffling of the staff will improve this also.
Discipline is a matter which CCG has said is a top priority. He know he gave these kids (although they are big and strong and could break me in half they are still kids) too much room. I think (and this is very much an non-fact based opinion) that he was trying to loosen up the atmosphere a bit from the days of the O'Leary regime.

You have to be solid at quarterback.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">They are working on that. GT is in a good position to work with three (four including D'BO--but who knows what's up with that situation) quality and athletic QBs. I have to believe that CCG has arranged the staff in a way to maximize learning and ultimately productivity at this position.

I didn't see anyone avoid hits in the ugag game. I'm not saying it didn't happen; I just don't remember seeing that. I don't think you will continue seeing such.

My point is, I believe you will see improvement in ALL the areas you mention. I'm not predicting W/L because I just don't know, and there is no way to know. I hope you are wrong, and I know you hope you are wrong too. We shall see.

Back