Nice little stat for a HS O

GT ended up with the 79th total defense in the land this year......if that increases to say, 35-40, I say we will quickly find ourselves with playoff reservations. BUT, we need big nasties...and we need them now....

Cool stats there.

Interesting to see Navy in the top 10, too. This offense is pure awesome.

And of course Georgia Southern won their conference in undefeated fashion. I notice their QB had a bunch of carries. What system are they running?

More like Auburn than Tech's - almost exclusively shotgun, with one back, lot of zone blocking. Fullback is a blocker and lines up more like an H-back. They did run some triple option, using a wide receiver in motion as the pitch man, but out of the shotgun.

After the goal line fumble against NC State, they didn't really ever get back under the center for the rest of the year.

Maybe? This is the first time I've calculated it. Here's what I have for us:

7-9 to go Pass Attempts: 22
7-9 to go Pass 1st Downs: 11
10+ to go Pass Attempts: 29
10+ to go Pass 1st Downs: 8
7-9 to go Rush Attempts: 5
7-9 to go Rush 1st Downs: 3
10+ to go Rush Attempts: 12
10+ to go Rush 1st Downs: 4

Total Attempts: 68
Total 1st Downs: 26
3rd & Long Conversion Rate: 38.24%

Here's the data I used: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Co30fkkSW0Iss74X4FeyO0M7eVF0d0Mi-8B53QcyvyA/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, I had us 19-48 passing and 7-14 rushing for third and 7+ before the FSU game. Now we're 19-51 and 7-17, so we went 0-6 on third and 7+ in the last two games (3 rush, 3 pass). I glanced through the stats and only found 5 of them, 3 vs. FSU and two vs. MSU. But I probably missed one.

Anyway thanks, makes sense to me now. Anyway, the point remains that we were very, very good on third and long this year, which is certainly counter to the popular narrative about this offense.

More like Auburn than Tech's - almost exclusively shotgun, with one back, lot of zone blocking. Fullback is a blocker and lines up more like an H-back. They did run some triple option, using a wide receiver in motion as the pitch man, but out of the shotgun.

After the goal line fumble against NC State, they didn't really ever get back under the center for the rest of the year.

Georgia Southern's rushing offense was absolutely sick this year, in terms of raw stats (e.g. not adjusting for opponent quality).

First of all they had 55 rushing TD's in only 12 games, for over 4.5 rushing TD's/game. No other team since 2007 has even reached 4.0 rushing TD's/game, and no team has had 55 TD's total even if they played 14 games.

They averaged 7.1 yards a carry and 380 yards/game on the ground. Nevada had 7.4 yards/carry with Colin Kaepernick at QB in 2009, but they only had 48 TD's in 13 games.

Finally they had 380 yards per game rushing. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been matched since Nebraska had 400 in 1995, but games were longer (more plays) in 1995. I'm positive that Nebraska 1995 was the last time before Nevada in 2009 that a team had 7+ yards per carry on the ground.

Now I get that GSU's schedule is very weak and you have to adjust for that, but it's also their first year in the FBS so their talent level is ostensibly reasonably comparable to that of their opponents. Given that, their offense this year was really incredible.

Georgia Southern's rushing offense was absolutely sick this year, in terms of raw stats (e.g. not adjusting for opponent quality).

First of all they had 55 rushing TD's in only 12 games, for over 4.5 rushing TD's/game. No other team since 2007 has even reached 4.0 rushing TD's/game, and no team has had 55 TD's total even if they played 14 games.

They averaged 7.1 yards a carry and 380 yards/game on the ground. Nevada had 7.4 yards/carry with Colin Kaepernick at QB in 2009, but they only had 48 TD's in 13 games.

Finally they had 380 yards per game rushing. I'm pretty sure that hasn't been matched since Nebraska had 400 in 1995, but games were longer (more plays) in 1995. I'm positive that Nebraska 1995 was the last time before Nevada in 2009 that a team had 7+ yards per carry on the ground.

Now I get that GSU's schedule is very weak and you have to adjust for that, but it's also their first year in the FBS so their talent level is ostensibly reasonably comparable to that of their opponents. Given that, their offense this year was really incredible.

No one gives a öööö what Southern's offensive stats were.

I planned in saying something similar so I'll just say it forever

Back