Nike vs. JUCOs Official Fiesta Bowl Thread

Unrelated, but all the Chip Kelly NFL talk had me thinking, "How did this guy get to be a top commodity for an NFL coaching job?"

Then went to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly) and saw that he went from New Hampshire to Oregon. It's amazing really to see someone make that jump. Kinda lucky and taking advantage of the opportunity.

What is up with the "hello" football flip commercial? Did that really happen in a game?

The 1pt safety has confused the piss out of the online GameTrackers.

Yahoo thinks it's 31-12, ESPN thinks it's 33-10. :lol:

I just found the video of the Texas/Texas A&M game where it first happened in 2004. Oddly enough, Brad Nessler was the announcer then too. But in that instance, it confused the announcing crew to no end.

Unrelated, but all the Chip Kelly NFL talk had me thinking, "How did this guy get to be a top commodity for an NFL coaching job?"

Then went to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_Kelly) and saw that he went from New Hampshire to Oregon. It's amazing really to see someone make that jump. Kinda lucky and taking advantage of the opportunity.

I wonder what his offense will look like in the NFL. Be interesting to see how much he has to change it in order to fit the speed of the league and the personnel. I don't think he can run it as-is, just because I doubt a QB can run the ball that much.

I just found the video of the Texas/Texas A&M game where it first happened in 2004. Oddly enough, Brad Nessler was the announcer then too. But in that instance, it confused the announcing crew to no end.
I suspect that the only reason it didn't confuse the announcing crew tonight is that Nessler had the call in 2004. He made a point of saying this was his second one and something like he's calling it quits if he gets another one. I went and found the UT/aTm call from 2004, too, and wow were they confuserated. I didn't think the ref in that game did a bad job of explaining it, although he didn't do the "Texas gets one point. On the scoreboard." that Ron did, and I think that the lack of explaining who got the point didn't help matters much in that game.

I wonder what his offense will look like in the NFL. Be interesting to see how much he has to change it in order to fit the speed of the league and the personnel. I don't think he can run it as-is, just because I doubt a QB can run the ball that much.

I think I read somewhere that the way he runs practices and coaches the team beyond the Xs and Os is one of the main attractions of Chip Kelly.

Edit:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/11/01/chip-kelly-oregon/index.html

Those who admire Kelly's acumen are enamored with more than just his fast-paced offense; it's his entire operating mantra. Much like Alabama's Nick Saban or Kansas State's Bill Snyder, Kelly's players seem fully committed to his system, and it shows in the program's annual consistency.
"He runs the best practices I've ever seen," an NFC executive told NFL.com. "I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity."

I suspect that the only reason it didn't confuse the announcing crew tonight is that Nessler had the call in 2004. He made a point of saying this was his second one and something like he's calling it quits if he gets another one. I went and found the UT/aTm call from 2004, too, and wow were they confuserated. I didn't think the ref in that game did a bad job of explaining it, although he didn't do the "Texas gets one point. On the scoreboard." that Ron did, and I think that the lack of explaining who got the point didn't help matters much in that game.

I also think the A&M/UT one was the wrong call, and Nessler knew it. The kick wasn't blocked - it was just a bad kick that hit a lineman. It should've been a dead ball before the defense ever took possession of it.

They did get the correct call tonight.

Spurrier Part Deux

I also think the A&M/UT one was the wrong call, and Nessler knew it. The kick wasn't blocked - it was just a bad kick that hit a lineman. It should've been a dead ball before the defense ever took possession of it.

They did get the correct call tonight.
It's only dead if it touches a kicking team player beyond the neutral zone, according to comment 16 here. The footage isn't great for determining if any UT player beyond the line of scrimmage touched the ball before an aTm player did, but I think the call was right and Nessler didn't know the full statement of the dead ball rule.

lost my $$$ bowl contest on this result. The guy behind me had Oregon for a lot of points and I had K State for a little as one of my anti-everyone picks...K State let me down in the 1st half, then gave up.

That false start was a killer.

lost my $$$ bowl contest on this result. The guy behind me had Oregon for a lot of points and I had K State for a little as one of my anti-everyone picks...K State let me down in the 1st half, then gave up.

:bigcry:

I didn't realize how early bowls started this year and didn't join one of my friend's money groups in time... but I did manage to make some free entry on ESPN and have 400 points (good for top 4%).

Back