NIL starts today

MEwreck02

Russian Hacker/Biologist
This is only going to help the little guys. The factories are already getting their choice of players. Not like this is gonna make them get more of them.
A stud player has a choice:

1. Go to a factory and spend a couple of years behind the starter.
2. Go to a non-factory and and start right away.

I guarentee you the money will go to the payers with the name recognition, and that;s the guy starting. So the stud payer can get paid two years or four years. What do you think most of them will choose?
You are missing a key piece here chief. Stud players want to win. You play to win the game right? If the non factory is not at least contending to at least win their conference regularly, this will be a much harder sell.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
You are missing a key piece here chief. Stud players want to win. You play to win the game right? If the non factory is not at least contending to at least win their conference regularly, this will be a much harder sell.
But if the coach can convince studs that there will be a lot more studs, then the winning should take care of itself. I like the fact that we are in a major market compared to other schools we compete against, and we have already been selling players on branding.

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
This is a problem - the best teams are already way ahead of the other teams with regards to better players and now it will get worse. How do you compete in recruiting against bama telling the #1 qb that if he comes to bama then he can expect $1mm in endorsements before he even plays.

Taking a step back from football for a minute, this kind of pay is going to present unique challenges to these players and programs. I don’t know about all of you, but I would not have handled this kind of money well at 18. Money can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you use it, and I hope these guys have support from the school in learning how to use this cash to set themselves up for life vs getting in trouble with it.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Taking a step back from football for a minute, this kind of pay is going to present unique challenges to these players and programs. I don’t know about all of you, but I would not have handled this kind of money well at 18. Money can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you use it, and I hope these guys have support from the school in learning how to use this cash to set themselves up for life vs getting in trouble with it.
That is a great point. I believe financial literacy and "how to stay out of trouble" courses are now a big part of rookie training for all the major sports leagues. I wonder if schools will have to do something similar. Of course it will be more difficult for them because most of the players on the roster actually are amateurs who will be broke as hell their whole career.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
But still easier than before.

"Come here, start four years, and maybe some of those will be good in terms of winning" versus "Come here, start two years, win a lot and have a legit shot at a title" is already a tough sell for the non-factory.

Changing "start" to "start and get paid" surely helps the argument of the non-factory school. It doesn't make it a slam dunk by any means, but it helps.

Unless the earnings from the two years at the factory easily outpace the four years at the non-factory...

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
But still easier than before.

"Come here, start four years, and maybe some of those will be good in terms of winning" versus "Come here, start two years, win a lot and have a legit shot at a title" is already a tough sell for the non-factory.

Changing "start" to "start and get paid" surely helps the argument of the non-factory school. It doesn't make it a slam dunk by any means, but it helps.

Unless the earnings from the two years at the factory easily outpace the four years at the non-factory...
Especially for schools with big local followings. I imagine BYU stars will have quite the ability to sell themselves.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
The next crypto driver. Who knew?!

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
Especially for schools with big local followings. I imagine BYU stars will have quite the ability to sell themselves.
I can't wait to see which soda shops BYU players will endorse.

They actually have a great opportunity. Aside from Jazz and RSL, there's nothing else here except for BYU and Utah football, and in Utah county, they only have BYU, and the population is exploding down there.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Except that big donors get perks, so they are likely to remain big donors.
Are there not tax incentives for donations to Athletic Departments? If so, then really big donors are getting 1/3+ of that money back in tax breaks.

However, this could also play out as businesses using this as marketing expenses to lower profits and thus taxable income.

Like anything… follow the money. An accountant could tell us what’s most likely to happen.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
That’s awesome. The guy should be in Columbus tomorrow. And even without any NIL money he should never step on a high school field again. Guy is the #1 recruit so don’t take the risk of injury.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
“Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?”

My God. It’s over. Even the meaning of highschool is over. It’s a monster now. It’s dead.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
“Will America's No. 1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers give up 7-figure NIL offers for one more season of Texas high school football?”

My God. It’s over. Even the meaning of highschool is over. It’s a monster now. It’s dead.
That’s quite over the top. Guess what? His high school team will have a QB this upcoming season no matter what this particular person decides. There will always be someone to fill the void. So even if every 5 star skips college football so what. We’d never miss them because you don’t miss what you don’t know. That’s the beauty of sport - there will always be stud players. Every D1 player could stop playing today and within a year we’d still have awesome college football with Heisman winners.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
That’s quite over the top. Guess what? His high school team will have a QB this upcoming season no matter what this particular person decides. There will always be someone to fill the void. So even if every 5 star skips college football so what. We’d never miss them because you don’t miss what you don’t know. That’s the beauty of sport - there will always be stud players. Every D1 player could stop playing today and within a year we’d still have awesome college football with Heisman winners.
I had @BigDanT's reaction initially too where it seems like we've gone down a road of no return and HS football is forever tarnished but you brought some up a great point. It's not like we will have hundreds of players dropping out of HS to chase $$$. More like just a handful of highly marketable 5-star QBs will even be tempted to make the jump. This should not be wide-spread pandemonium. It's not like that 5-star OT or LB is somebody who can make that kind of cash.