NIL starts today

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
All this angst is just nuts. People‘s reactions in today’s world are just the worst. Listen, there are always people willing to take the spot so if high school or college players want to skip seasons or games then so what. Did anyone miss Makur Maker this year? Most don’t even know who he is so how could you miss something you didn’t see? I’d imagine that at the end of next season unless we are in the playoff that Gibbs will skip whatever 2nd tier bowl we are in. And I’d tell him to. Just like I’d tell any kid who is already listed as a 5 or high 4 star to skip his senior season in high school. Jamar Chase had it right. Marcus Lattimore didn’t. College football will be just fine.

GT98

Dodd-Like
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread before, but I look forward to players missing games for failing to pay taxes on their NIL money.
why would they miss games for that? That would be IRS financial penalties.

GBurdell

One for each tiddy
the future of college sports

Ohio State commit Quinn Ewers, No. 1 recruit in 2022 class, may skip senior season to capitalize on NIL rules - CBSSports.com

The top-ranked high school football player in the Class of 2022 is weighing a major decision that could chart the course for others like him in the future amid the changing landscape of college sports. Quinn Ewers, a five-star quarterback committed to Ohio State, told Yahoo Sports he is "leaning toward" forgoing his senior season to join the Buckeyes ahead of the 2021 campaign, which would allow him to benefit sooner off his name, image and likeness.

Vespinae

Unbelievable, effort-based commenter
6 years from now...
"Sophomore forgoes final 2 years of HS football to avoid risk of injury that would negate over $500k in NIL money"

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
This will be an interesting process.
If they bypass their senior season, they either sit a year or they lose a year of development before they begin their college career. Both options have potential risks.
At the same time, the backups will get an opportunity to succeed.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Does EA Sports have a deal with players that use #6 on offense and another player when they use #6 on defense? Doesn't make sense.

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy

We got any car dealers?

Gobees

Jolly Good Fellow
This really sucks (to me) and will continue to degrade the college "amateur" experience the same way allowing Pros into the Olympics ruined it.

What started out as a sincere effort to help poor kids with spending money has turned into the professionalizing of a few top-tier players who will far outearn many of the poor kids who were the original intended beneficiaries.

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Are there any details on the NIL offer that the rising HS senior has been offered? Who offered it? Was it preconditioned on attending OSU? The system can not stand if there are no rules against this. The state laws allowing this should be amended to only allow NIL deals to those who have already signed letters of intent after their HS senior season.

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
Will we get to the point with NIL that players wont skip their last year of CFB because they don't want to take a pay cut to go to the NFL? I think it's certainly a possibility.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
That is a great point. I believe financial literacy and "how to stay out of trouble" courses are now a big part of rookie training for all the major sports leagues. I wonder if schools will have to do something similar. Of course it will be more difficult for them because most of the players on the roster actually are amateurs who will be broke as hell their whole career.
The imminent demise of the NCAA means, going forward, there will be no "trouble" because there will be no enforcement