Not gonna lose this Saturday

JudgeJudy

Really Lurks @ The Varsity
Dwags are off and we are off......hmmmm we could.......

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Dwags are off and we are off......hmmmm we could.......
...still not play? I think you missed this part:

“For our team in particular, a combination of on-field injuries, Covid-19 contact tracing and a relatively low number of positive Covid-19 tests left us unable to field the requisite number of student-athletes needed to compete, particularly at certain positions." - TStan

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
because it is impossibly complex at this point and is basically counting cooties now

especially among those who have approximately zero chance of dying
Contact tracing seems reasonable to me inside of a relatively small and isolated population, like the football team. It’s probably not much use in the general population when people are shopping and going to bars and restaurants and stuff (i.e., large numbers of unknown contacts), but for a couple hundred people who mostly spend a lot of time in close contact with each other? Seems reasonable.

JRjr

GoGATech

Big Dummy
way i read was positive cases were low but that combined with dumb ass contact tracing and injuries led to the decision.
The decision wasn't solely ours anyway. Pitt made the call first because they are having Covid issues right now also. They also have paused all football activities. And even though it says "low number of cases," that doesn't mean that a whole position group couldn't still be out. We have, what 120 guys on the squad? Say we have 5 positives, that's a low number. Now say those 5 are our starting 5 offensive linemen. Or our whole RB room. Do you still want to play the game on Saturday in that case?

Skydog

Eat a Peach
The decision wasn't solely ours anyway. Pitt made the call first because they are having Covid issues right now also. They also have paused all football activities. And even though it says "low number of cases," that doesn't mean that a whole position group couldn't still be out. We have, what 120 guys on the squad? Say we have 5 positives, that's a low number. Now say those 5 are our starting 5 offensive linemen. Or our whole RB room. Do you still want to play the game on Saturday in that case?
i'm not really the guy to ask this question .. i think we should all go down to MARTA, lick some handrails and move on with life.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
i'm not really the guy to ask this question .. i think we should all go down to MARTA, lick some handrails and move on with life.
Trust me, I'm all for a healthy immune system too. I just mean in regards to postponing the game. I don't think it's bad judgement to postpone if you have a whole position group unable to play. And that's very likely with only positive tests and not counting any of the contact tracing stuff.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I would just like to take this opportunity to once again thank China for exporting this wonderful Wuhan flu which is responsible for all of this. Not saying at all that they did it intentionally . . . but it is indisputible that they DID do it. China is the UGAG of countries.
Say China 6 more times, see if it will reinstate the Pitt game. You’re a moron,

Skydog

Eat a Peach
Trust me, I'm all for a healthy immune system too. I just mean in regards to postponing the game. I don't think it's bad judgement to postpone if you have a whole position group unable to play. And that's very likely with only positive tests and not counting any of the contact tracing stuff.
it sounds like they probably heard PITT was having issues and that was enough to make the decision easy for them. if there is a game on 12/12 i hope it snows a foot.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Contact tracing seems reasonable to me inside of a relatively small and isolated population, like the football team. It’s probably not much use in the general population when people are shopping and going to bars and restaurants and stuff (i.e., large numbers of unknown contacts), but for a couple hundred people who mostly spend a lot of time in close contact with each other? Seems reasonable.

JRjr
All you need is one contact to open up another chain of BS. How many degrees of Kevin BAcon does this go to? Shouldn't it be contact with only non-mask wearers?

gobuzzgo

Varsity Lurker
All you need is one contact to open up another chain of BS. How many degrees of Kevin BAcon does this go to? Shouldn't it be contact with only non-mask wearers?
How do you trace non-mask wearers? I've seen folks "wearing" masks that I don't want to be near for safety.