And there's nothin' sure in this world
And there's nothin' pure in this world
Look for something left in this world
Start again
Come on
It's a nice day for a white wedding

cbee

Flats Noob
I wouldn't say we are lacking integrity here either. FWIW, all EE spots are ASSUMED to begin with. I highly doubt anybody was told they could definitively enroll early, especially given the circumstances that the NCAA just blanketed everybody with a free year and immediate eligibility with no plan of action for the consequences of that. Every EE candidate was likely told that yes they will be able to as long as there is room. Well, guess what, we ran out of room. I'm sure the coaches took much into consideration when deciding who would not be able to EE. You have factors like, who is the most in need to get in early, who will need the most development, who will need the most in-house S&C, etc. Sure, it's an unfortunate situation and a bummer for the kid who was ready to come in right away.
You are making a lot of assumptions here that I cannot make because I do not have first hand knowledge of how this was handled or how any EE is handled. All I see is that the kid expected to enroll early and is not being allowed to and it apparently did not sit well with his HS Coach. Could have been the kids misunderstanding, could have simply been poor communication on our part or it could be the new way we do business. I do not know. We all have our thoughts and opinions and mine is no matter the reason, this is not the kind of situation you want to be in.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
You are making a lot of assumptions here that I cannot make because I do not have first hand knowledge of how this was handled or how any EE is handled. All I see is that the kid expected to enroll early and is not being allowed to and it apparently did not sit well with his HS Coach. Could have been the kids misunderstanding, could have simply been poor communication on our part or it could be the new way we do business. I do not know. We all have our thoughts and opinions and mine is no matter the reason, this is not the kind of situation you want to be in.
It is not an assumption. EE's are not guaranteed.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
We will be fine so long as we deliver once the kid is on campus. Turn him into a pro player an he won’t care about when he started school.
Not sure I agree. There is a political component to this that far outweighs the actual injustice to the kid.

We have two fences to mend - the one with the kid (which I think is do-able over time as you suggest; but the one with the coach is a tougher road. I understand the hypocrisy of his position but he holds the cards and we have to deal with him. And, at the moment, we appear to be in major damage control. Rightly or wrongly, we have just been given a very steep hill to climb and its nobody's fault but ours. I am not pleased with this. It should not have happened.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Give it a rest already. None of you know anything. Life is imperfect. Add in a situation where we were left with athletes that only fit PJ's offense and defense and changeover is and has been accelerated. It's not always pretty but I am quite sure that Tech and GC try to handle things as professionally as possible.

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Not sure I agree. There is a political component to this that far outweighs the actual injustice to the kid.

We have two fences to mend - the one with the kid (which I think is do-able over time as you suggest; but the one with the coach is a tougher road. I understand the hypocrisy of his position but he holds the cards and we have to deal with him. And, at the moment, we appear to be in major damage control. Rightly or wrongly, we have just been given a very steep hill to climb and its nobody's fault but ours. I am not pleased with this. It should not have happened.
Meh, he’s only been the coach at Grayson since 2019. Given the high turnover in HS coaches, I’d say we won’t have to wait very long before we start forming a relationship with the next coach.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.

who appears to be in major damage control? us, on a message board? the coaching staff has not commented at all and all you have seen from the other side is one tweet from a coach and a couple of retweets. none of us have any idea what has been said between GT coaches, Grayson coaches, and Jamal. This could already be water under the bridge for all of them.

This is NOT nothing. It is also not the end of the world like so many are acting.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
who appears to be in major damage control? us, on a message board? the coaching staff has not commented at all and all you have seen from the other side is one tweet from a coach and a couple of retweets. none of us have any idea what has been said between GT coaches, Grayson coaches, and Jamal. This could already be water under the bridge for all of them.

This is NOT nothing. It is also not the end of the world like so many are acting.
Idk man, it's pretty much nothing, particularly because of how Jamal is taking it. Like he's said, no sweat/move forward.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like

It's a thing that in the worst case explanation can be a negative event directed entirely at the coaching staff, which is a desirous outcome for some here.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Meh, he’s only been the coach at Grayson since 2019. Given the high turnover in HS coaches, I’d say we won’t have to wait very long before we start forming a relationship with the next coach.
I get that - someone pointed out earlier that Grayson is a revolving door for coaches. My point is that this was not dealt with properly - ok, so we had to push the kid out until the Fall - fine, call the coach and deal with it pre-emptively so as not to wake up to a tweet that "this will not happen to another one of my kids" - I understand that the Grayson coach did worse to his own but the optics have to be managed better than this.

So many HS coaches read that tweet and many of them are coaches that we are trying to make inroads with after years of total neglect. So I'll say it again, this is a public relations screw up and one that would not be tolerated in private industry.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
I get that - someone pointed out earlier that Grayson is a revolving door for coaches. My point is that this was not dealt with properly - ok, so we had to push the kid out until the Fall - fine, call the coach and deal with it pre-emptively so as not to wake up to a tweet that "this will not happen to another one of my kids" - I understand that the Grayson coach did worse to his own but the optics have to be managed better than this.

So many HS coaches read that tweet and many of them are coaches that we are trying to make inroads with after years of total neglect. So I'll say it again, this is a public relations screw up and one that would not be tolerated in private industry.
1. Summer, not fall.
2. You don't know that the call to the coach wasn't made. He could still tweet that even if he was called and everything was explained. He is recruiting also... so he pounds his chest and it looks like he is sticking up for his kids. Geoff does the same.
3. GT staff is not going to come out and defend themselves on Twitter so we will only ever get one side of the story.

GoGATech

Big Dummy

For starters, he isn't pushed out til the Fall, just the early summer period. Secondly, he is already signed with us and I would assume the pecking order no longer involves his HS coach as the 1st contact. Lastly, his coach was on vacation at Lake Tahoe skiing when this all happened and when he issued that tweet. I think it was more of a knee-jerk reaction by the coach than anybody.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member

I'm not overstating the magnitude - I don't know what the magnitude is but I'm guessing its not a planet killer. My concern is how easy this would be to manage proactively and not have tweets going out from influential coaches that we will be clobbered with like a Calculus book in the 1980s.

So we have two issues here: screwing up the body counts and failing to manage the fallout with the coaching community. Both mistakes were very preventable and very manageable - neither were either.

I respect the opinions of the recruiting elders on the board and this is my last post on the matter - I don't have an ax to grind but I think its important to conduct the necessary forensics on matters such as this.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
You say you have no knowledge and should not make assumptions, and then you make negative assumptions to reach your negative conclusion.

This baffles me. And as someone else said, you seem to prefer the situation where there was no relationship with this HS at all.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
For starters, he isn't pushed out til the Fall, just the early summer period. Secondly, he is already signed with us and I would assume the pecking order no longer involves his HS coach as the 1st contact. Lastly, his coach was on vacation at Lake Tahoe skiing when this all happened and when he issued that tweet. I think it was more of a knee-jerk reaction by the coach than anybody.
High school coaching appears to be more lucrative than I thought.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like

Based on what I gather from this discussion, we had three choices:

1) Pass on a slot receiver who will probably start for us next season and give us a key possession receiver.
2) Push an existing scholarship player out the door involuntarily.
3) Delay the enrollment of an incoming player from Spring to Summer semester.

Which option would you have chosen?

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Based on what I gather from this discussion, we had three choices:

1) Pass on a slot receiver who will probably start for us next season and give us a key possession receiver.
2) Push an existing scholarship player out the door involuntarily.
3) Delay the enrollment of an incoming player from Spring to Summer semester.

Which option would you have chosen?
It would depend what we had told the incoming player previously and how we thought he would take it. And that's something that none of us is ever likely to know.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Friend close to the situation told me the current Head Football Coach at Grayson has very little influence over the players/program; he's essentially a 32-year old pawn with no experience they hired to be the front man while other hanger-ons manage the players/team/program

cbee

Flats Noob
You say you have no knowledge and should not make assumptions, and then you make negative assumptions to reach your negative conclusion.

This baffles me. And as someone else said, you seem to prefer the situation where there was no relationship with this HS at all.
Never made a negative assumption. This is a bad look.