Notes from Notre Dame Talk Show

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
I went to the Notre Dame athletic website and clicked on podcasts to see what was available. I ended up listening to a lot of a two and one-half hour post- game call-in show from after their game with UVA. Here are some things that stuck out to me:

(1) They did give Tech some credit, even saying they thought they would be underdogs if the game was being played in Atlanta.

(2) They don't think we can pass the ball on them as well as Virginia did.

(3) They think the fact that they came back to win in the final seconds after key injuries means they're just "winners", sort of like a team of destiny.

(4) They must have said 10 times that the key to the game was for them to hit our QB "in the mouth on every play, whether he has the ball or not," because "that will make him start getting rid of the ball quicker."

(5) They seem totally unaware that we can pass the ball effectively, feeling we're almost strictly a running team. They said our whole passing game was occasionally hurling the ball as far as we could, but that we didn't have the talent for an effective passing game of short or medium passes.

(6) They said we would just run our "fullback" over and over again all day long, so they should hit him on every play, too.

(7) They think they're at a big disadvantage in recruiting because of their high academic standards.

(8) They think we've run up the score in two "scrimmages" against "cupcakes."

(9) They believe they have better athletes at all positions, and all they need to do is just stay disciplined.

(10) They think this is a key game, but that's because they think they have to go 12-0 to get in the playoffs, and so every game they play is a "key" game.

The main thing that stood out to me was not their condescension, it was their almost complete ignorance of Tech's football team.

I know this is different from what some of their fans are saying on their message boards. But, This is the point of view from the fans and talk show hosts on the show I listened to. I'm sure we'll never know what their coaches really think, because I think their coaches will just stick with "coach-speak."

I think it should motivate everybody associated with Tech football to know that everything our team has accomplished has not really gotten through to many of the average fans around the country.

Only one that pisses me off is #7. öööö them. I'm a practicing Catholic and I hate Notre Dame.

They should just tackle the ballcarrier every play. If they can.

Unaware of who to hit? Just hit everyone. In the mouth. Every play. I heard it makes the offense not work. So do that.

I want South Bend burned to the ground by the end of next Saturday. Those yankee pieces of öööö will never know what hit them.

I know this is different from what some of their fans are saying on their message boards. But, This is the point of view from the fans and talk show hosts on the show I listened to. I'm sure we'll never know what their coaches really think, because I think their coaches will just stick with "coach-speak."

I think it should motivate everybody associated with Tech football to know that everything our team has accomplished has not really gotten through to many of the average fans around the country.

Call in shows can be okay, but I generally think sports talk radio is a lazy medium. I prefer to read and scour the internet for info and stats on opponents, and by reading, one is not held hostage and can jump to more interesting stuff at any time.

Having said all that, I agree that GT's success has had little impact on the rest of the country. The fact that we're 8-1 in our last 9 games and cleared the bench in two warm up games is irrelevant because we're not highly ranked and we haven't played anyone. It is what it is. This Saturday has the potential of being a real eye-opener for many if GT has another Clemson, UGA, or MSU type victory. These guys are addicted to winning.

I'm sure the coaches know better. If they don't, I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they watched tape.

A storm of butthurt is about to decimate the entire Catholic community

(1) They did give Tech some credit, even saying they thought they would be underdogs if the game was being played in Atlanta.

Someone should break the news to them that ND is an underdog in this game, even though it's in South Bend. Tech opened as a 1 point favorite in betting lines yesterday.

Someone should break the news to them that ND is an underdog in this game, even though it's in South Bend. Tech opened as a 1 point favorite in betting lines yesterday.

Yeah, but only because they lost their QB and their #1 RB, and if Tech wins it will be ONLY because of those factors.

Unaware of who to hit? Just hit everyone. In the mouth. Every play. I heard it makes the offense not work. So do that.

:lol:

#8 is sort of funny to me. Tulane is better than Texas (it is bizarre to type that, but from what I saw it's true) and Virginia isn't exactly leaps and bounds better than Tulane either.

Regarding #6, they can try hitting Skov on every play if they want to. But unless their goal is to add to their injury report, I can't recommend it.

From what I've seen so far, Skov will be hitting them every play, not the other way around.

:lol:

#8 is sort of funny to me. Tulane is better than Texas (it is bizarre to type that, but from what I saw it's true) and Virginia isn't exactly leaps and bounds better than Tulane either.

Regarding #6, they can try hitting Skov on every play if they want to. But unless their goal is to add to their injury report, I can't recommend it.

Hitting Skov every play takes away one or two defenders from run pursuit. They need to play assignment football like Mississippi State did. I'll delete this post in one hour.

deleted

Last edited:
If they play two deep safeties they can prevent the big plays.

I will delete this post in one hour.

Brian VanGorder calls Lou Holtz in the middle of the night.

BVG: "Lou, I can't sleep, I need some advice."

Lou: "whatchzhsshch up?"

BVG: "I've got to defend that triple option, what would you do."

Lou: "Schzzhchswhhzchzzzhcmack the chzcuarterback in the mouthzczhx on every play. It makezchhzhswehz the pitchzzhczhshxhch come out faxxhcxzhcter and faxchshzzhchster."

BVG: "Thanks Dr Lou! I'll be sure to let everyone know my new plan on the radio show."

Lou: "Hold on a sxxcshec, I gotta chzchzhange my phone, itsscxh about to die becauxscxh itscxhs drowning in ssxchsaszhzxhshxaxhahwhzxhahhhuuuuuhaxhshchpit."

deleted

Last edited:
Later, BVG calls a team meeting and tells them that he has the blueprint as given to him from the highest power. He spends the following three days on his knees, open-mouthed, salivating into a kiddie pool, mumbling incoherently while the defense diligently takes notes. After three days, the pool is full and having solved the Paul Johnson offense, BVG leans forward and drowns himself.

Back