Offensive Coordinator

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
It has been three days since Coach O'brien left to join Fridge at Maryland. In my way of thinking if Coach Gailey was going to appoint Coach Nix as the new O.C. he would have already. I think he is looking outside his staff for his new O.C. and I hope he is looking toward Valdosta State to Chris Hatcher. Just my opionion for whatever it maybe worth.

I hope we have the courage to set our sights higher. I hope we do WHATEVER IT TAKES to hire Norm Chow. I for one think we deserve the best.

I agree that it doesn't look as though Nix is the man Gailey intends to be OC. Here is a link from the Macon paper that briefly talks about it. As mentioned in the article, he has plenty of guys he has worked with to choose from. I like what I've heard so far on Painter.

Macon Article

Why would you leave So Cal for GT? I know I sure has heck wouldn't. Talk about bad career moves.

Especially given that USC is probably back on the rise.

True Beeserk, Norm Chow is a west coast person. He stayed (1) year at NC State with Chuck Amato after leaving BYU but always wanted to be back on the west coast.

When the USC job opened up ... it was his. Don't think he would come back this way. What I would say though, would love to get someone like him with experience and documented success. Hope this position change when hired is well thought out.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
Why would you leave So Cal for GT? I know I sure has heck wouldn't. Talk about bad career moves.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's what they asked Pepper when he left UCLA. "THIS is the big-time," they said.

"That's not what the people in Atlanta think," Pepper shot back.

Good retort Belly. I don't remember Peppers exact words but you have pretty much hit the nail on the head.

A big difference between Pepper and Chow. Pepper was an Atlanta boy and a former Tech player. Chow has no ties to the area, so I agree he probably would not consider leaving USC for GT.

wink.gif

Originally posted by GTPilot:
[QB]I agree that it doesn't look as though Nix is the man Gailey intends to be OC. Here is a link from the Macon paper that briefly talks about it. As mentioned in the article, he has plenty of guys he has worked with to choose from. I like what I've heard so far on Painter.

I would hope for a endorsement from Joe Hamilton for at least us fans if Painter was the choice.

I would probably be a little concerned with Painters age... (no offense to some of our "more mature" brethren) .. Painter is in his early 60's isnt he? I dont know about that... and Lawbee, go ahead and hit me with the Age Discrimation suit...

Well you have a point about his age, but look at Norm Chow? There can't be that much difference in their ages. I'm not saying Painter should be the choice, but he's certainly kept his hand in the game and we should be able to get a good read on him from Joe Ham since he is the OC for the Rhein Fire.

I cant argue with you on that NCJacket.. you are right !

I am just not sure that I would be that thrilled about Painter.. but then again if you asked me who my preference would be.. I couldnt answer that either... just score points baby !!

Jacketguy, as an older person, I would have to agree with you on Painter or any older coach.

It does not take long to realize you still think just as well, but the thoughts and actions have a greater time delay as you age. I think an older HC would be more acceptable than an older OC or DC.

The young players could interact with an older HC much like a grandfather, but they need for the OC or DC to be a little younger to breach the age gap.

wink.gif

ahsoisee, how would you explain Monte Kiffen then? He has to be around 60 I'd guess and doesn't have any problem relating to players. Also how old is Fridge? I don't have any preference or favorite for the OC position. All I hope is we get someone who knows how to coach QBs (has done it before with some success), can relate to how Chan wants the offense to look, and has that knack for keeping defenses off balance. If he can do all that, age is the last thing I'm worried about.

NCJacket, you know there are exceptions to just about every thing. I can tell you from personal experience that the older you get the quick decisions do not materialize as fast as they did when I was younger.

When I was younger, I could glance to the side of the road to admire a beauty walking down the road. If I try to do that today, I am already in the ditch when I have looked back to the road. The reaction time in my mind seems the same to me, but it is evident there is a greater delay in time.

Yes there are exceptions and some can still overcome the aging process of the mind and reactions, but as a whole it is better to have someone who can react quickly to the situations and the kids.

You will understand better when you begin to reach the elderly status. That is really why many elderly coaches start losing their edge and more games.

If I was a head coach, I would prefer my assistants in the mid twenties to mid thirty range. I would begin to watch them more closely after that range to monitor their relationships between themselves and the young athletes (age gaps).

I would want my OC or DC to be in the late twenties or early thirties to about the age of 50. I would monitor their timely decisions more closely nearing the age of 50.

If I was the AD, I would want my head coach to be in the early thirties (if he is very talented) up to about the mid fifties. After the mid fifties, I would expect the head coach to be turning a lot of the control of the team over to the OC and DC and become more of a mentor than a hands-on coach.

After the mid-fifties, I would keep a close eye on the head coach, his relationship with the OC/DC, and his record. If his record started dropping after that age, I would be making a list of future candidates for the job while keeping a close eye on his continuing abilities to make proper and timely decisions.

Of course, only my opinion, but age does play a roll in quick decisions.

wink.gif

Not exactly Belly! A team is the mirror image of its coaching. If coaches and mentors were not necessary, we could do without them.

You teach in school. If all it takes are the abilities of the students, they would not need you. The school could put a monkey in the teachers desk with a bell in front of him.

The monkey could hit the bell to start the class, receive a banana, and sit there until the class is over. The monkey could hit the bell again, ending the class and receive another banana. It would not make any difference who sat at the teacher's desk, because it is the responsibility of the students to perform.

There would be no such thing as a good teacher or a poor teacher, it would all be up to the talents of the students in the class. After all, they are the ones that study and take the tests. I say lets start doing away with the teachers. They have no big part in the learning process anyhow.

bsmeter.gif

sorry ahsoisee, but I just think you are way overanalyzing this. What matters is whether the guy we choose can get the players to buy into his offense, whether he can teach the QBs how to play the position correctly, whether he has the experience and feel for the game to keep the opposing defense off balance, and whether we can get the ball in the endzone. All you comments on the right ages for different spots on the coaching staff are kind of interesting in a way, but there are too many exceptions for them to be the exceptions to any rule. Bottom line is good teachers can teach, winners win, and good coaches make good players play better. Age doesn't factor into it IMO.

NCjacket, your opinion is as valid as mine, but that is my opinion and I stick by it. You said some of the same things I said, there are always exceptions, and it depends on the particular person.

However, I am sticking to my philosophy as a general rule.

By the way, I might will add one more point to the debate. In the business world, it has been readily accepted that older folks get set in their ways and do not adapt or make changes readily.

Many tend to want to continue the old methods rather than new ones. That is the reason many big business offer retirement incentives to get rid of the older folks and make room for some younger folks who accept new ideas much more readily.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Bottom line is ... good coaches make good players play better.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">nc,

Stop the presses...we agree on something!!
shocked.gif

The problem is that we only have half of your equation.

Back